Lexus IS Forum banner

Sunroof noise update/roof noise

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  zerokarma 
#1 ·
The other night I got really tierd of hearing this noise. It was only when the sunroof was open (tilted) and when i went over bumps. What I reseached did not help my prob tho. Finally after screwing around with it I found it! The prob is w/the plastic sheild that is behind the sunroof glass. Im sure you all know what Im talking about, well that plastic sheild is connected to the sunroof. It pivots with the glass as it raises and lowers.1ST Locate the piviot point on each side of the car (Driver side and passenger side) Once you locate them spray a hint of WD-40 on them. Becareful as to not get it all over the car interior as you spray. 2ND (You may not have to do this) I chose to go with 2 small peices on dyno mat stuff cut into inch and 1/2 by 1/2 in wide. And now locate the center of the same plastic wind gaurd you just lubed place place the a couple of inches or so away from eachother.1St (on the roof noise) Now while you have the sunroof tilted open get in the car and place yourself so you would be facing the back of the car (I had my knees on the seat). Heres where I found an additional issue, look above the roof liner and under the roof. Hmmmm look at that my support beam that is caulked or glued from the factory is detaching itself. I thought from reading another post that it may have been my antenna. Well I can assure you thats not the case for me I listened inside the car and pulled the ant. from outside several times. It seems when the sun roof is open and you travel at high speeds as I do the wind pulls this support beam from the roof. Its very tricky to get in there w/out taking the head liner off tho. I have not tried to caulk it yet but does anyone else think this is the prob? I will post pics if you want. let me know your thoughts :) Can this be a *DIY*? :suspiciou

See less See more
#4 ·
Pics will help a lot!!! I hope to tackle this project soon... :)

2001 IS300 - 5 years and 8 months old - 94K miles -

You may also, want to buy some Toyota Sunroof gasket lube..
Make sure you clean out the entire track where the gasket rubs..
A lot of build up and crud will be there... I normally use paint polish or cleaner to clean the area.. Then re-wax or polish it for extra protection.. For the actual rubber gasket, I use a lint free rag with car soap and water to clean with.
After everything is clean, apply a small amount of the sunroof lube on the rubber gaskey only.. Just apply it on the area that touches the paint.

These small steps will help tremondously... Trust me...

Joe Z :)

#5 ·
First locate pivot points on sunroof

Note, this is the pivot point on the passenger side. Spray a small amount of WD40 on this small area

Do the same to the driver side

Next, on my car the roof seems to be making a rattling noise, which i thought may have been the antenna, however, when you pop the sunroof and look above the headliner, but under the roof, you can see where the support meets the roof and in my car seems to be pulling apart. Just a side note, this is what it looks like.

I am holding the plastic piece down and facing the rear of the car.^

Next, I wedged a flashlight to hold the plastic piece down.

I thought it was best to do this at night because there was no glare and made it easier to see this.

I chose to add a small amount of foam insulation and bam, seemed to cure the noise. Hope this helps others.
If you have any questions, please PM me.

Reactions: petaa7
#12 ·
happysmp said:
BACK TO THE TOP.

How the hell did you get foam in there?!?!?!
HA I can hardly see anything back there let alone stuff foam in there...and i have small girly hands :) Goodjob though...gonna give this a try later today.

#14 ·
happysmp said:
Good luck,
I'm going to remove the dome light (plastic translucent piece) pops off to reveal 3 screws. I'm hoping it'll give me access to the rail.
Hmm...good idea. Let me know how that goes. I think on one of the threads I read that one of the screws from the dome light are actually somehow connected to the sunroof rail/brace. I don't remember which thread cuz I've been reading so many :lol: And I can't try anything until I get home from work bleh

#15 ·
I'm having some annoying sunroof rattling/clicking type noise only when it's closed. Its quite but damm annoying, I assume it is the black plastic peice that is somehow doing it but haven't been able to really fix it. I have shifted it a few times and it goes away for a while but eventually comes back :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.