User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Replacing the expansion valve

I took my car to a mechanic the other day because my ac was blowing hot air.. while he was putting in the freeon he noticed some numbers weren't correct, told me the lack of freeon in my car was because my expansion valve is yadda yadda.. so ineed to replace it.
If anyone could care to fill me in on how much this is, what you would need to install one, and if anyone can do this. Pics would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Guru

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16yoLexusMan
I took my car to a mechanic the other day because my ac was blowing hot air.. while he was putting in the freeon he noticed some numbers weren't correct, told me the lack of freeon in my car was because my expansion valve is yadda yadda.. so ineed to replace it.
If anyone could care to fill me in on how much this is, what you would need to install one, and if anyone can do this. Pics would be great.
Here is the testing procedures from Lexus
ON-VEHICLE INSPECTION

CHECK QUANTITY OF GAS DURING REFRIGERATION CYCLE
SET ON MANIFOLD GAUGE SET
RUN ENGINE Run the engine at 1,500 rpm for at least 5 minutes. Then check that the high pressure reading is 1.37 - 1.57 MPa (14 - 16 kgf/sq.cm, 199 - 228 psi) .
CHECK EXPANSION VALVE If the expansion valve is faulty, the low pressure reading will drop to 0 kPa (0 kgf/sq.cm, 0 psi) .

To change this valve, you must discharge the AC system. If you do not have a way to recapture the refrigerant, do not attempt to change this on your own. You will then need to fill the AC system when finnished as well as re-oil the system.

I just redid my system, due to low refrigerant. My car basically had about 0.14 of a pound ( our cars hold about 1.6lbs and about 6-8 oz of oil). I leak tested/ vacuumed and then refilled the system. No problem.

I would suggest to refill the system first, as long as no leaks are present, and check the functioning, before throwing parts at it. I would also confirm that your mechanic had the same readings as listed above. Oh yeah, and make sure he is using 134a, freeon has not been used for a few years.

Here is the part number and labor rates from Lexus to repair this

Expansion Valve
Air Conditioner 8851530690 $83.03 Notes

Labor Skill
Level Warranty Standard
Expansion Valve
Replace 4.6
Does Not Include: Refrigerant Recovery Or Evacuate & Recharge AC System.

Yes that does say 4.6 hours labor!

Digger08
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Frequenter

A faulty expansion valve would not cause a lack of refrigerant in the system. The only way for that would be a leak.

Eric

'92 Nissan 240sx 'vert w/ SR20DET (SOLD)
'02 Lexus IS300 (SRT Stage 2.75 sold)
'95 Toyota Supra TT 6sp. BPU

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 AM

I have 2006 Lexus is250 and the AC expansion valve needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me how to do it and where exactly its located? Any help would be truly appreciated as I have been searching the whole internet and could not find any single posting. Once I am done with it, I plan to make a good video and put it on YouTube for DIYers.
Thanks
TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page