User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Piggity

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Rear subframe chassis mount rust repair.

Is it possible to access the rear subframe mount points from above, without having to cut into the chassis?

The corrosion really needs to be addressed but restoring just the bottom is pointless and unacceptable.

The front is no better. I'll try to get shots of all six (I think) of the mount points soon, thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180924_205934_c.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	672.2 KB
ID:	120643  

Last edited by trancend; 09-25-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 02:28 PM
Follower

Quoted: 144 Post(s)

There's no way of doing that. I would remove your subframe and sandblast it, as well as undercoat the bottom of the floor when you have it out. Then POR 15 (or whatever thick paint you could find) the subframe so it doesn't rust again. It isn't going to be an easy job though, especially if you're on the floor of a garage.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
There's no way of doing that. I would remove your subframe and sandblast it, as well as undercoat the bottom of the floor when you have it out. Then POR 15 (or whatever thick paint you could find) the subframe so it doesn't rust again. It isn't going to be an easy job though, especially if you're on the floor of a garage.
I'm not opposed to POR 15, but was kind of fearing this. Maybe I could get some creeping oil up through the bolt hole, if it even breaches all the way through. Do you know if POR 15 is difficult to grind off, and how toxic the particles would be (I'd use a mask, but how good of a mask and goggles would be in question)? I don't mind POR 15-ing the subframe, but I'd much rather remove the rust from both sides of the floor and mount points and seal it with the heaviest duty paint or sealing product I could obtain for a reasonable price.

So if it isn't accessible from the top, then all these mount points are destined to rust and eventually weaken to failure? I mean, it could be cut out and replaced, but then the geometry of the rear end will be altered unless the new piece is welded back perfectly. But then brings the question of how far does the corrosion go, and how much has to be cut away. This seems really overwhelming and defeating, but I am will to cut into the "frame" to access where I need to as opposed to letting it rot. Otherwise I see no point in building off of this platform, I need something solid because it will eventually be going to the track.

Last edited by trancend; 09-26-2018 at 08:01 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:46 AM
Follower

Quoted: 144 Post(s)

Honestly the rust isn't that bad, sure it's ugly but there doesn't appear to be any holes from what I can see. So it's not like the subframe is going to fall out of the car.

If you're willing to spend the time to take the subframe out and sandblast it then you can do your bushings at the same time. The IS300 has pretty soft bushings in the subframe and diff, read the other thread that Ek9B18 made just recently. Then I would take an angle grinder with a wire wheel to the floor if it looks as bad as the picture does in your first post. Then POR15 it or whatever you want to coat it with.

You're really over thinking this, just get a buddy to come over and you should be able to get this done in a day easy (faster if he doesn't drink all your beer first).
trancend likes this.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page