Passenger HID turning on then "off" after 1 minute....ballast or bulb? - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:38 AM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
first tho, i bought some bulbs off ebay, have had them for over 3yrs, no issues what so ever since i installed them.

I also got the d2s instead of d2r.. Easy mod, way more light output

oh yeah, I paid 60 bucks for a pair of 6k d2s bulbs....
What did you you mod to be able to use D2S bulbs? Our headlights use reflection rather than projection which is why D2R bulbs are used, so you have a D2S bulb in a stock IS300 housing? If you simply used a D2S(bulb without shield), then you are definitely blinding other drivers and hope you are never behind me

'02 IS300 MSM LSD

Last edited by jasonm4; 12-28-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Mr. Roo

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)

The only mod required to use a D2S bulb is a little notch needs to be ground in the side of the seat so that it sits flat. It is quite easy, and I've been using D2S bulbs for a while without any noticeable affect on light output (the reflectors are well designed enough that the extra light from removing the glare coating doesn't seem to go anywhere).

I'm using D2S bulbs because this is the first time I've had head lights without projectors lol, and I'm gonna have projectors again...
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Mr. Roo

Here are some pics from the internet to show how to make it fit.

so essentially, you create a D2C bulb.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold94corolla View Post
The only mod required to use a D2S bulb is a little notch needs to be ground in the side of the seat so that it sits flat. It is quite easy, and I've been using D2S bulbs for a while without any noticeable affect on light output (the reflectors are well designed enough that the extra light from removing the glare coating doesn't seem to go anywhere).

I'm using D2S bulbs because this is the first time I've had head lights without projectors lol, and I'm gonna have projectors again...
I see, thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that the D2S bulb would not work well in a reflector housing because the lighting would project upwards into the sky as well as downwards. That's why I thought the D2R was better suited at keeping the light projected straight and downward where it should illuminate. I see what your saying though.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Mr. Roo

I would definitely recommend using D2R bulbs. But when I got the IS, one bulb was original, the other was new. I had D2S bulbs in my old car, so I put them in for free. I just installed new D2S in preparation for a projector retrofit.

But even with D2S installed, I didn't notice any difference.

D2S (4300k)........................................... ................................D2S (5000k)

Beam pattern/reflection maintained with the D2S bulbs

Still no glare.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well check this out...

The "bad bulb" fires....but is a "bluer" color.......but I have a light on at least so I don't get pulled over!

Thanks...looks like there is a deal for a set of Phillips for $70 on eBizzle.....should work fine.

What's weird is this....:

It was super cold in Denver when the bulb wasn't working.....now that it's 55-60 out....it works. Goofy!
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Immortal

It's known i believe that the bulb will turn dark and purplish at the end of their life. That's what our 1000 watt mercury vapor fixtures do at work and we change the bulb.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Mr. Roo

Yep, old bulbs are dim and bluer! Time for new ones
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportFanatic View Post
Check out amazon.com. I get a set for 80$, with some great reviews. I regret getting 8k because it's a bit a ricey side, but so far so good two months later.
Yep found a deal on Phillips 4300k's for $70 a pair. Nice!
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Altruist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Check out ddmtuning.com. Their prices for replacement bulbs by far is the cheapest around. Ive had their bulbs installed for almost a month now. No complaints or anything. I think i paid around 40bucks shipped for BOTH bulbs.

01 MSM Turbo IS300--RIP
95 BO SC300 5spd - Current Project

N.E.L.O.C

****North East Lexus Owners Club****

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/neloc-175/
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighIS300 View Post
Is there a quick way to test whether my stock ballast or bulb is going out.

I can "re-flip" my lights on and have the passenger HID bulb still light up. But after 1 minute, it "shuts" off.

Thanks so much..........sorry if this has been asked before, but I thought I'd ask really quickly so I can find out before I start buying parts.

Cheers.
I have the same problem. I replaced the balast (and paid for another bulb) for over $900) but then had exactly the same problem. Is there any place the service department can call to figure out what is going on before I have to spend another $900 for nothing.
John W. Aldis
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)