LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 258 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAtl6 View Post
Thanks, so which of these possibilities would be within the ECU wiring so that I can at least check it myself and narrow down the possibilities? Open ground circuit?

I believe that I had enough slack in the harness to not cause a wiring issue on that impact, but there really is no way to be positive.
The only wires you need to focus on with this code is B2S2's heater wires. Since the ECM controls the ground and the sensor has a constant positive, I would verify the sensor wires aren't grounding anywhere. That alone would set a DTC for high current on the heater circuit. An open ground would give you a low/non responsive heater circuit. I would double check both wires, mainly the ground wire. If they pan out ok, then I would check with Tokensolutions. This code is only a malfunction and won't effect how the engine runs, I'm pretty sure.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 258 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Altruist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Okay, great. I'll check it all either tomorrow or Friday. I didn't solder it the first time around because I didn't have time and of course I can't solder it now because I'm out of town for the holiday. I'll repost after I check that out and thanks for all the info.

2005 GGP
SRT, HKS, Hotchkis, H&R, Tokico, Mazzuri, Magnaflow, AAC, Pioneer, Infinity, SD
post #183 of 258 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Okay, great. I'll check it all either tomorrow or Friday. I didn't solder it the first time around because I didn't have time and of course I can't solder it now because I'm out of town for the holiday. I'll repost after I check that out and thanks for all the info.
Yea, definitely solder any connections on the car. The ECM is very picky and will not like twisted connections for long. That very well be your problem I hope.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD

post #184 of 258 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Altruist

Just remembered I have my exhaust pulled out, so I won't be able to check for a CEL until I have that replaced, HA. Still in search of a b-pipe...

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!

2005 GGP
post #185 of 258 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Altruist

I replaced the b-pipe and put my stock exhaust back on and the CEL is gone. It looks like that pipe nearly being closed off actually was the problem. I didn't even end up touching any wires. I'll report back if anything changes and thanks again for all the help and input.

2005 GGP
post #186 of 258 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Immortal

Quote:
I replaced the b-pipe and put my stock exhaust back on and the CEL is gone. It looks like that pipe nearly being closed off actually was the problem. I didn't even end up touching any wires. I'll report back if anything changes and thanks again for all the help and input.
Hmm...that's odd. Usually that code refers to an issue with the sensor or wiring. Maybe the fluctuation of the O2 caused high heater circuit current. I dunno. Nevertheless, glad your back in good shape, despite the damage to your previous exhaust.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #187 of 258 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Altruist

Well, after close to 1000 miles of driving in the clear without a problem, the same P0038 code came back. Very strange. It looks like I'll have to go in and check all the wiring.

2005 GGP
post #188 of 258 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Altruist

The car sat around for about 3 days and the CEL is gone again. Both times the CEL popped up was the day after long drives, 250+ miles (coming home for both Thanksgiving and Christmas). It's very strange that the code never came up any time I have driven the other way. Would long drives have something to do with the CEL and letting the car sit for a period of time be some kind of solution?

The thing is, the first time the CEL appeared, it stayed until I swapped out the damaged exhaust pipes, even though the car sat for a long period of time in that situation as well. The CEL was there, 30 mins later when everything was swapped out, the CEL was gone.

The whole thing has gotten me pretty confused.

2005 GGP
post #189 of 258 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone can help me buy u2 sim or where can I buy one?
post #190 of 258 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimeis300 View Post
Anyone can help me buy u2 sim or where can I buy one?
Check with our vendor Tokensolutions in the vendor area or O2 Simulator.com has em i think. I'd try TS first.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #191 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 AM

I have been looking around and havent found a thread with a problem similar to mine so if there is please guide me in that direction.

with that being said.. I just picked up an IS200 a couple days ago. i dont know much about engines, but I picked it up for dirt cheap because the guy is military and he was PSCing in a couple days. The previous owner said that the CEL was on because of a bad o2 sensor and might be causing a misfire because it was running too rich or something along those lines. the car definitely seems to be running slightly off and seems sluggish. when its idling it smokes very slightly.. almost unnoticeable. yesterday i started it up and it ran for about 10 seconds and died. but thats the only time it has done that.

does this sound like an o2 sensor problem to you guys? i'm not so sure. like i said, if i'm in the wrong section of the forum please point me somewhere else. thanks!
post #192 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd43 View Post
I have been looking around and havent found a thread with a problem similar to mine so if there is please guide me in that direction.

with that being said.. I just picked up an IS200 a couple days ago. i dont know much about engines, but I picked it up for dirt cheap because the guy is military and he was PSCing in a couple days. The previous owner said that the CEL was on because of a bad o2 sensor and might be causing a misfire because it was running too rich or something along those lines. the car definitely seems to be running slightly off and seems sluggish. when its idling it smokes very slightly.. almost unnoticeable. yesterday i started it up and it ran for about 10 seconds and died. but thats the only time it has done that.

does this sound like an o2 sensor problem to you guys? i'm not so sure. like i said, if i'm in the wrong section of the forum please point me somewhere else. thanks!
Yea, a bad primary oxygen sensor can make you run rich and cause the car to act up. You should have a Pxxxx code to tell you which sensor.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #193 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm4444 View Post
Yea, a bad primary oxygen sensor can make you run rich and cause the car to act up. You should have a Pxxxx code to tell you which sensor.
alright cool i appreciate it. i'll have it hooked up and see what code it spits out. hopefully its just the sensor.

edit: 10 sept

so after driving for about 10 miles i shut it off and let it sit for about 15 minutes. when i tried starting it up again it took about 20 more minutes and about 15 more tries to get it to idle. then when i was almost home it started to over heat. im not so sure if its a O2 sensor problem anymore. or maybe it is and these are two separate problems.

Last edited by bobbyd43; 09-10-2012 at 01:16 PM.
post #194 of 258 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Garage
Didn't see this thread when I had an issue...

I just fixed my bank 2 sensor 2 and now another sensor blew.
Is it normal for them to go in pairs (B2S2 AND B2S1)? And should I expect the other two to blow out also?

Also are the part numbers up to date? I want the original replacement (had bad experience before and don't want the headache)

Great write up btw! Thanks ahead of time.

'05 IS300 - Daily Driven

Instagram
post #195 of 258 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS_aLEX View Post
Didn't see this thread when I had an issue...

I just fixed my bank 2 sensor 2 and now another sensor blew.
Is it normal for them to go in pairs (B2S2 AND B2S1)? And should I expect the other two to blow out also?

Also are the part numbers up to date? I want the original replacement (had bad experience before and don't want the headache)

Great write up btw! Thanks ahead of time.
They can go any time. My B1S2 and B2S2 threw heater malfunction dtc's. Here's a pic that will help. Get a Denso universal and splice it in for cheaper or get a pnp.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 8 (0 members and 8 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page