Oxygen Sensors - FAQ - Page 11 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 258 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi guys..my car's engine light turned on few days ago...it is P0057 H02S Heated Oxygen...Sensor control circuit low (bank 2 Sensor 2)...does anyone know how to fix it or any DIY or know where i can buy the part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 258 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Car is fixed! Thanks a bunch IanH

TractionOptional.Com
'03 Dodge Cummins I '02 IS300 I '03 Fatty Ruckus I 340whp '91 240sx
post #153 of 258 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

heater circuit malfunction

I followed your directions which were great by the way, but my problem continues. I did a code read after installing the new b1s2 oxygen sensor made by lexus and the code reads p0141. What I want to know is WHERE is the "heater circuit?" nothing more nothing less, a picture by anyone would be great. I am assuming the heater circuit is the connector attached to the oxygen sensor.

alvaro quinonez

post #154 of 258 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_4519 View Post
I followed your directions which were great by the way, but my problem continues. I did a code read after installing the new b1s2 oxygen sensor made by lexus and the code reads p0141. What I want to know is WHERE is the "heater circuit?" nothing more nothing less, a picture by anyone would be great. I am assuming the heater circuit is the connector attached to the oxygen sensor.

alvaro quinonez
The heater circuit is a part of the 02 sensor. Inside of an O2 sensor is a sensor signal circuit and a heater circuit. The heated circuit in the oxygen sensor decreases time needed to enter closed loop. As the O2 heater reaches operating temperature, the oxygen sensor responds by switching according to oxygen content of the exhaust surrounding it. The two black wires on an OEM Denso sensor are the heater wires and should read about 10-14 ohms @68*F, IIRC.

P0141 - Oxygen O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank1, Sensor2)

Replacing the correct sensor should have solved the problem. Check to see if the connection harness is tight(by the air box) and possibly reset/clear the code by pulling the negative off the battery for a few minutes. Other than that, they either replaced the wrong sensor or the new one is bad, which they should replace free of charge.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #155 of 258 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm4444 View Post
The heater circuit is a part of the 02 sensor. Inside of an O2 sensor is a sensor signal circuit and a heater circuit. The heated circuit in the oxygen sensor decreases time needed to enter closed loop. As the O2 heater reaches operating temperature, the oxygen sensor responds by switching according to oxygen content of the exhaust surrounding it. The two black wires on an OEM Denso sensor are the heater wires and should read about 10-14 ohms @68*F, IIRC.

P0141 - Oxygen O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank1, Sensor2)

Replacing the correct sensor should have solved the problem. Check to see if the connection harness is tight(by the air box) and possibly reset/clear the code by pulling the negative off the battery for a few minutes. Other than that, they either replaced the wrong sensor or the new one is bad, which they should replace free of charge.
Jason, so whats does the P0036(same sensor)code refer to?

----------------------
CorrPerformance Tuning
02 MSM 5MT/LSD...SOLD
03 GGP Auto/SportDesign...SOLD
01 MSM Auto/LSD...SOLD
post #156 of 258 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-guapin View Post
Jason, so whats does the P0036(same sensor)code refer to?
There are at least 5 related codes just for that sensor's(B1S2) heater circuit. That's because our ECM is that damn sensitive. Normally any of these codes would indicate the heater circuit is open, shorted, or simply malfunctioning. I would check the connections and if they look ok, then I would replace the sensor and clear the code.

P0054-O2 sensor heater resistance B1S2
P0036-O2 sensor heater control circuit B1S2
P0037-O2 sensor heater control circuit low B1S2
P0038-O2 sensor heater control circuit high " "
P0141-02 sensor heater malfunction

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #157 of 258 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm4444 View Post
There are at least 5 related codes just for that sensor's(B1S2) heater circuit. That's because our ECM is that damn sensitive. Normally any of these codes would indicate the heater circuit is open, shorted, or simply malfunctioning. I would check the connections and if they look ok, then I would replace the sensor and clear the code.

P0054-O2 sensor heater resistance B1S2
P0036-O2 sensor heater control circuit B1S2
P0037-O2 sensor heater control circuit low B1S2
P0038-O2 sensor heater control circuit high " "
P0141-02 sensor heater malfunction
Cool.. THNX!

----------------------
CorrPerformance Tuning
02 MSM 5MT/LSD...SOLD
03 GGP Auto/SportDesign...SOLD
01 MSM Auto/LSD...SOLD
post #158 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 07:21 PM

Hello All,
I have been lurking for about a week and wanted to post on here to make sure I get the right O2 sensor and have the right location. The Code im throwing up is a P0430 Catalyst System Efficency Below Threshold (Bank 2). I have been reading on this forum and using the search function to make sure I have the right location and right sensor but want some reassurance. Is this O2 sensor it is identifying the one under the passenger area that you can plainly see and that some have removed the seat to get to it easier? I want to verify before I start taking one out and changing it. From what I have read this is the right location. I am at Densoproducts and sparkplugs.com and on eBay and want to verify im looking at the right o2 sensor too. Since the dealer wants 190 for this sensor, i'm going to try and change it for cheaper
Densoproducts.com shows Front cylinders 4-6, front upper cylinders 1-3 , rear cylinders 1-3 and rear cylinders 4-6. It doesnt mention the one after the cat (downstream I guess) . This is the one im looking at on ebay New Rear Bosch O2 Oxygen Sensor Lexus IS300 2002 2001 Parts Auto Car | eBay
I bought the car a week and a half ago and have unplugged the batt 2 times and cleared the code twice. The same code keeps popping up. I ran seafoam in the tank as well. I test drove the car 3 times and it never came on. I got 91 gas in it (previous was putting 87 in mostly and occasional 91) and about 20 miles later the light came on.
Thanks again to the community for your help
BTW its a 2001 Lexus IS300 with 203k miles. (high miles I know, but I had faith in it, no leaks no burning)
post #159 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMustang35 View Post
Hello All,
I have been lurking for about a week and wanted to post on here to make sure I get the right O2 sensor and have the right location. The Code im throwing up is a P0430 Catalyst System Efficency Below Threshold (Bank 2). I have been reading on this forum and using the search function to make sure I have the right location and right sensor but want some reassurance. Is this O2 sensor it is identifying the one under the passenger area that you can plainly see and that some have removed the seat to get to it easier? I want to verify before I start taking one out and changing it. From what I have read this is the right location. I am at Densoproducts and sparkplugs.com and on eBay and want to verify im looking at the right o2 sensor too. Since the dealer wants 190 for this sensor, i'm going to try and change it for cheaper
Densoproducts.com shows Front cylinders 4-6, front upper cylinders 1-3 , rear cylinders 1-3 and rear cylinders 4-6. It doesnt mention the one after the cat (downstream I guess) . This is the one im looking at on ebay New Rear Bosch O2 Oxygen Sensor Lexus IS300 2002 2001 Parts Auto Car | eBay
I bought the car a week and a half ago and have unplugged the batt 2 times and cleared the code twice. The same code keeps popping up. I ran seafoam in the tank as well. I test drove the car 3 times and it never came on. I got 91 gas in it (previous was putting 87 in mostly and occasional 91) and about 20 miles later the light came on.
Thanks again to the community for your help
BTW its a 2001 Lexus IS300 with 203k miles. (high miles I know, but I had faith in it, no leaks no burning)
Yes, P0430 is bank 2 sensor 2 is a cat efficiency code. It can be caused by a cat going bad, an exhaust leak, or bad o2 sensor. It is easier to check for leaks and replace the O2 sensor, even though the sensor can be tested with a voltmeter to verify it's .2 to .9 volt fluctuation. You don't nessesarily have to remove the front seat. I know some members have moved the seat forward and up all the way and had enough room to pull the old sensor wiring out and fish the new sensors wiring in. It is located at the Y pipe, directly below the seat. If you do remove the seat, make sure to disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes before doing any work, this is to prevent the airbags from deploying when the seat harnesses are disconnected. IMO, I would go with an OEM Denso replacement, but Bosch is fine and that link looks like the correct sensor. This image here shows all the o2 sensor locations and the part numbers to replace them with.

Http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8813/o2diagram16.jpg

'02 IS300 MSM LSD

Last edited by jasonm4; 09-12-2011 at 08:01 PM.
post #160 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
or know where i can buy the part?
TokenSolutions now carries all variants of o2 sensors, be it a sim, a post cat delete sim, to universal wire-ins for pre or post cat, to the 4 different PNP sensor replacements- HERE.

TokenSolutions is moving to an in-house forum and facebook. Google TokenSolutions forumer.
post #161 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:32 AM

Perfect, Thank you Jasonm444. I may just go ahead and purchase the Denso. If I get the one with the plug already on it, I should still be able to just move the seat forward right and disconnect the current one and connect the other? I don't really wanna deal with air bag change of deployment.
post #162 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMustang35 View Post
Perfect, Thank you Jasonm444. I may just go ahead and purchase the Denso. If I get the one with the plug already on it, I should still be able to just move the seat forward right and disconnect the current one and connect the other? I don't really wanna deal with air bag change of deployment.
Yes, I've heard but not actually done myself, that you can move the seat all the way forward and high as it can go. You can cut the old sensor's wires and use them to fish the new ones into the car. Just tape the new sensor's wires onto the old wiring. Removal of the seat is really no big deal, basically 4 bolts and a few harnesses, but the battery does have to be disconnected and a there is a couple minute waiting period before disconnecting the seat harnesses. Ahh, and sorry about ya Blacksport. Our vendors can definitely help you out there as well.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #163 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm prolly cursing myself but, the code hasnt come back on since I cleaned the MAF and cleared the code for the o2 sensor. It usually would have come on by now. Ive put 80 miles on it and no code, usually it would throw at 20...don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the previous owner said he sometimes would hit it with 91 but usually ran 87, you think it has some gunk on it and the seafoam and normal 91 finally cleared it through?

-- 2001 Spectra Blue Mica IS300 LSD Stock ; Injen Intake, TRD Exhaust
post #164 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Immortal

Well, I hope for you sake it does not come back on, but since it's a heater circuit malfunction, it 95% of the time comes back. If it's not a connection, then it may be slowly going bad(internally). I would wait till 500 miles or so before you get your hopes up.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #165 of 258 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Jason,
I figured it will pop up soon, it's the small 80 mile victories lol,

-- 2001 Spectra Blue Mica IS300 LSD Stock ; Injen Intake, TRD Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page