• 1 Post By PANIC!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1 issues

just like the title states. my o2 sensor decided to go out and its the hardest one in the vehicle, you know the only located at at the firewall. no socket can fit correctly in the small space available. i have tried the o2 socket wrench and a regular wrench. i just get enough leverage to make anything happen. instead i went ahead and started to look into remove the Y pipe in hopes to remove the o2 sensor that way. well it seems that my bolts are some strange size. i dont own a metric or standard wrench that fits the strange bolt size. in the video below i used a 14mm wrench to show that it doesnt fit and neither does a 13mm or a standard sized wrench. what should i do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:31 PM
SEAHAWKS!!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)

I dont remember the size wrench i used, but i was able to remove the ypipe bolts. Can you fit a wrench on the nut side? If so, use vise to clamp down on the bolt and do work. IIRC, thats probably what i did, after spraying PB blaster on it and letting it sit for a couple hours. It was a bitch to remove those bolts

Phil
2001 IS300
Engine 2jz-ge w/SRT intake; HP header; Toyomoto ypipe
ICE/Interior Kenwood Excelon w/Nav; Fsport shift knob
Exterior JDM headlights; foglights; taillights; SportDesign grille; RX shorty antenna
Suspension Tanabe coilovers; SuperPro bushings; FIGs toe links
Wheels Volk Racing wheels; Staggered 17x8/9; Conti DWS
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3_FTW View Post
I dont remember the size wrench i used, but i was able to remove the ypipe bolts. Can you fit a wrench on the nut side? If so, use vise to clamp down on the bolt and do work. IIRC, thats probably what i did, after spraying PB blaster on it and letting it sit for a couple hours. It was a bitch to remove those bolts
i think a 14mm was able to fit but it seemed like its some weird size that is not in metric or standard. ill try that tomorrow while i drench more liquid wrench on header. im still stunned on the poor design with the o2 location. what size bolt and nut did you use once you removed it? i dont plan on using those bolts if i dont have to.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 230 Post(s)

95% sure the y pipe bolts are 14mm. They might be super coated in rust, so take a razor blade and scrape any residue off...

2003 GGP | "You Can't See Me"

Hotchkis sway bars, LS400 bbk, Stance coilovers, Customwerks rear strut tower bar & trunk brace, Megan diff. brace & traction bars, OBX short-tube headers, Fidanza exhaust cam gear, GTE cams, NX wet kit, winter camo wrap 👀
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 07:40 AM
Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)

Garage
It should be doable from the top with a o2 sensor socket, breaker bars and such. I did it once on a previous IS.

Removing the y-pipe... I did this couple months ago and I had to dremel every nuts and bolts, very dirty job, I don't recommend this if all you wanna do is replace the sensor. Also, don't forget the sensor will come off easier if it's warm and with PB Blaster.
The Nuke likes this.

I Fail at keeping my car clean
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC!!! View Post
It should be doable from the top with a o2 sensor socket, breaker bars and such. I did it once on a previous IS.

Removing the y-pipe... I did this couple months ago and I had to dremel every nuts and bolts, very dirty job, I don't recommend this if all you wanna do is replace the sensor. Also, don't forget the sensor will come off easier if it's warm and with PB Blaster.
How were you able to do it from the top with an O2 socket and break bar? There is just no room. I am trying to replace mine but decided to regroup since I have been trying to take out the bitch for the last two hours. I put liquid wrench on it and still no budge.

Does anybody know of any videos or photos?

B.O. 03 IS300 MT l K&N Intake l HKS DRAGER II l NA Supra Clutch l Figs CD3 l Figs MEGA arms l Figs Toe Links l Tein S Tech Springs l
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 10:35 PM
SEAHAWKS!!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerakGW View Post
How were you able to do it from the top with an O2 socket and break bar? There is just no room. I am trying to replace mine but decided to regroup since I have been trying to take out the bitch for the last two hours. I put liquid wrench on it and still no budge.

Does anybody know of any videos or photos?
Ha, I know the feeling. I used everything I had to try and remove it. The only leverage you have is from the top. I tried and tried until I gave up. I just let it be until I swapped out my header to catless header.

Oh, after removing the oem header, I couldn't get the o2 sensor out without stripping the threads. It was seized. There is a good chance yours are seized as well. You will have to remove the headers after unbolting the ypipe. BTW, is yours a manual or automatic? If its automatic, you will have to drop the header from the bottom, cus the transmission doesn't give enough room for the ypipe flanges to squeeze through. However, if you have a manual, no problems pulling from the top.

Good luck

Phil
2001 IS300
Engine 2jz-ge w/SRT intake; HP header; Toyomoto ypipe
ICE/Interior Kenwood Excelon w/Nav; Fsport shift knob
Exterior JDM headlights; foglights; taillights; SportDesign grille; RX shorty antenna
Suspension Tanabe coilovers; SuperPro bushings; FIGs toe links
Wheels Volk Racing wheels; Staggered 17x8/9; Conti DWS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page