Not going into gear - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

It sounds like a lock up problem mechanically with the transmission, if there was slip or an electrical open you would have a CEL(good idea to scan even if no CEL for pending). I'm sorry but it's safe to say if you have the proper level(checking when running in park) and the fluid is good plus no DTC's, then I would probably go get a diagnosis. I have Pm'd you with some info. Let us know how it works out.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

sorry i know this is an old thread, but im having the same issue right now. I was driving on the freeway at about 60-70mph and all of a sudden im no longer able to accelerate. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off and turned it back on after trying different gears and everything. When i started it back up i was able to get it a little ways further on the freeway until it lost gears again. i did the same thing as the first time and got off the freeway at the exit i was needing to get to anyways. i stopped on the side of the road on a hill and i tried to get the car to move someplace safer but the car would barely move a snails pace at pretty much max rpm and then gave out after a few seconds. i dont know much about cars since this is my first car and plan to learn as much as i can about the car. I do have a check engine light which when i had it checked out the week or so prior and it was showing that a catalytic converter is bad. I have yet to check for any new codes since then, since i dont have my own equipment to do so. any help would be appreciated.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:04 AM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Lee View Post
sorry i know this is an old thread, but im having the same issue right now. I was driving on the freeway at about 60-70mph and all of a sudden im no longer able to accelerate. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off and turned it back on after trying different gears and everything. When i started it back up i was able to get it a little ways further on the freeway until it lost gears again. i did the same thing as the first time and got off the freeway at the exit i was needing to get to anyways. i stopped on the side of the road on a hill and i tried to get the car to move someplace safer but the car would barely move a snails pace at pretty much max rpm and then gave out after a few seconds. i dont know much about cars since this is my first car and plan to learn as much as i can about the car. I do have a check engine light which when i had it checked out the week or so prior and it was showing that a catalytic converter is bad. I have yet to check for any new codes since then, since i dont have my own equipment to do so. any help would be appreciated.
Replace your cats or put a header on. Thy are clogged up. When they are hot. They flow even less.

Careful & Consistent

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The cats are the least of my worries right now. Getting the car to move is my first priority right now as right now it doesnt even go into gear. I can upload a video of whats happening as well.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Lee View Post
The cats are the least of my worries right now. Getting the car to move is my first priority right now as right now it doesnt even go into gear. I can upload a video of whats happening as well.
probably a dumb question but have you checked the transmission fluid level? When was the last time it was changed?

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page