Noise from Diff. please help!!! - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Noise from Diff. please help!!!

Hello, i am a noob to the car community and car forums in general. i bought a rebuilt title IS300, with 74k miles wanting a reasonable rear wheel drive car.

has a vibration when above 40mph so took it to a local pepboys for a steering and wheel diagnosis and they said the wheels are bent which i kinda expected. but the technician added there is a noise from rear diff. i am not sure what to make off of it and he refused to give me more info.

This is a new car to me so i cant tell apart weird noises from the normal ones.

Any suggestions on diagnosis and/or repair will be greatly appreciated.

also i live in central NJ. any suggestions for reasonable shops for repair would be amazing.

ps:i apologize for any my gramatical errors, english is not my first language.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:42 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
Where the damage was located on your car?? Because Usualy Orignal Diffs are really sturdy especially the Torsen, IS's had a Thumping noise coming from the diff that is refered to the slack in the driveline, more noticeable on manual versions. It can also be the stupid parking brake assembly in your rear brake system. Mine was clunking last summer. And sadly it still present even if I've worked on the parking brake system during the winter.

2002 IS300 - Manual 5-speed LSD M85
Color: Cromax YR580M
TRD Carbon Fiber Shifter Ball
Custom Made Complete Cold Air Intake
Fidanza Exhaust Cam Gear
OBX Headers / Megan Racing Y-Pipe / Thrush Catback
Yonaka Spec II Coilovers / Cusco Strut Bar
SPC Rear Camber Kit
DBC Performance Black XDS Rotors / Carbon Brake Pads
Continental ProContact Tires
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:01 AM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)

Double posts are not cool and will not get you help faster.

As for your issue. Do you have a video or sound file? Otherwise we need more info.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:09 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)

if you cannot hear any noises from the diff, and the tech refused to give you any more info it sounds like there really isnt an issue here...?

if you worried enough about it, do a visual inspection of the diff and go from there.

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:54 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 71 Post(s)

First, get round and balanced wheels/tires on the car. Then move onto other sources of noise and vibration.

I thought my differential was making an ugly growling noise, but then I noticed it was definitely worse when going around left hand turns - and almost went away around right hand turns. That pointed me toward a right rear wheel bearing.

Replacing that right rear wheel bearing eliminated the growling noises.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Bernier View Post
Where the damage was located on your car?? Because Usualy Orignal Diffs are really sturdy especially the Torsen, IS's had a Thumping noise coming from the diff that is refered to the slack in the driveline, more noticeable on manual versions. It can also be the stupid parking brake assembly in your rear brake system. Mine was clunking last summer. And sadly it still present even if I've worked on the parking brake system during the winter.
Damage seems to be near the passenger side front door. I actually don't hear any noise for myself it seems to be running smooth as far as I can tell. I don't hear any clunking or thumping. Even in any turns. So have to see after replacing the wheels.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 SolarYellow View Post
Double posts are not cool and will not get you help faster.

As for your issue. Do you have a video or sound file? Otherwise we need more info.
My bad, this is my first time posting something and after doing it in the drop stop and roll page. I saw this page so did it again.

I actually can't hear any of the noise. I ordered new wheels. Once I get them on there I will try to get more information.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooohoppy View Post
if you cannot hear any noises from the diff, and the tech refused to give you any more info it sounds like there really isnt an issue here...?

if you worried enough about it, do a visual inspection of the diff and go from there.
I thought of that, but these guys don't do diffs, hence no incentive for him to give me that information.

I am not sure what I should be looking for in the diff. There would be signs visually of any damage. I am sorry, if I sound completely stupid. Kinda a noob to DIY. Thanks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme View Post
First, get round and balanced wheels/tires on the car. Then move onto other sources of noise and vibration.

I thought my differential was making an ugly growling noise, but then I noticed it was definitely worse when going around left hand turns - and almost went away around right hand turns. That pointed me toward a right rear wheel bearing.

Replacing that right rear wheel bearing eliminated the growling noises.
Yep ordered the wheels already. From pepboys. Hoping to get the wheels done next week. Got the proline 17" matte black ones. Fingers crossed they will look good.

Thank you for the tip though.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:01 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charan View Post
I thought of that, but these guys don't do diffs, hence no incentive for him to give me that information.

I am not sure what I should be looking for in the diff. There would be signs visually of any damage. I am sorry, if I sound completely stupid. Kinda a noob to DIY. Thanks.
since its a vibration, it leads me to think it something else. verify your wheels are good first and then go from there.

with that being said, since we are already here and on topic of inspecting the diff: inspect the diff cover bushings (you cant really inspect the pinion bushings without taking the diff out). do they look okay? do you see any tears in the rubber? throw a wrench on the pinion bolts and diff cover bolts and confirm they are still tight. also check the allen half shaft to stub shaft bolts; very unlikely they are to come loose unless someone has already dicked with it. you can also check the pinion flange to driveshaft nuts/bolts. check for leaks at the pinion seal and the cover plate.

again, its likely something else. but i just thought i would chime in.

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page