User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

No Cold Air, High Pressure

so I’m trying to service the AC in my 2002 Lexus IS 300. Almost 300K miles and the AC has been working like a champ until this summer. Car has been superbly maintained, but AC is probably my weak area as it jsut never needs work.

This summer, car stopped blowing cold air. Compressor is engaging and turning on. Went and got a can of 134 with a gauge on it. Hooked the gauge up and the gauge is in the red reading 100psi. WTF? So I didn’t try to push any 134 into the system because of this.

What’s wrong? Any tips or ideas what to check? What should I do next?

System seems to be in tact cause with the car turned off, it’s holing that pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:52 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

probably the temperature servo motor under the dash.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:10 AM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
so Iím trying to service the AC in my 2002 Lexus IS 300. Almost 300K miles and the AC has been working like a champ until this summer. Car has been superbly maintained, but AC is probably my weak area as it jsut never needs work.

This summer, car stopped blowing cold air. Compressor is engaging and turning on. Went and got a can of 134 with a gauge on it. Hooked the gauge up and the gauge is in the red reading 100psi. WTF? So I didnít try to push any 134 into the system because of this.

Whatís wrong? Any tips or ideas what to check? What should I do next?

System seems to be in tact cause with the car turned off, itís holing that pressure.
Try to get the compressor to cut on. Let some a 134 out. If it cut on and is at the right pressure. But does not cool. It may be a bad compressor. I will also ask. When you hooked the gauge up the first time. Did it have pressure? If so how much?

Careful & Consistent

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Ooops, thought I put that in there. Pressure was up around 100psi on the low side. This is with the car running, compressor running, AC on high. Pressure is steady at that pressure all the time. Even after sitting over night, pressure does not bleed off and still holding at 100 (in the red).

I don’t have a gauge to check the high side, so I may have to take it somewhere for at least the troubleshooting.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)

I think the same thing was happening with mine, the shop said my compressor was bad and had to be replaced. They were right. It seemed like everything should be working. Compresser kicked on. Pressure was good, wouldn't take any more gas. Just wouldn't be cold.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ooops, thought I put that in there. Pressure was up around 100psi on the low side. This is with the car running, compressor running, AC on high. Pressure is steady at that pressure all the time. Even after sitting over night, pressure does not bleed off and still holding at 100 (in the red).

I donít have a gauge to check the high side, so I may have to take it somewhere for at least the troubleshooting.
You could unplug the pressure switch and put a jumper wire in to see if the compressor will drop the pressure enough. If it does, maybe a bad switch.

Careful & Consistent
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Do I need to bleed some of this pressure off the low side?

Is the pressure switch in that line in front of the radiator the only one? Thatís the one to jump?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:51 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Do I need to bleed some of this pressure off the low side?

Is the pressure switch in that line in front of the radiator the only one? Thatís the one to jump?
That is what I would try. I do not like bypassing the pressure switch. Unless I have no choice.

Careful & Consistent
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just had same prob here bad compressor mine also read 100psi my well known mechanic said it’s def compressor . Good luck , I happened to have a spare but don’t want to deal with the swap until my other motor is built maybe 6mo out 😒 dang it’s hot in FLA already
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Yea, I’ll swap it out. Here’s a question though...I wanted to let that high pressure off, so I bled the low side down into the green; about 15 psi or so. But now with the car running, the compressor will not turn on and off with the switch. It doesn’t run at all; will not turn on. Is that normal cause I bled that pressure off?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:56 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

As you have already mentioned you have no way to see the pressure on the high side. You can buy a guage set at harbor freight or parts store for not alot of coin. You will not be able to correctly troubleshoot until you see the entire picture. If you want to learn more about AC sytems i would watch a few videos and get a good grasp on it. Its honestly not hard to diagnose when you have the full guage set and a little youtube knowledge. Save you some money in the end! Good luck

2004 Absolutely Red 5 speed
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:59 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Just wanted to add another data point that I too had my compressor let go last year. Exact symptoms of yours: zero cold air, compressor was still engaging, normal pressure on the low side but high side was equal and would never increase.

Put in a new compressor and condenser. Might be a weak point of these cars. Either way mine now blows ice cold. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page