User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Light on in Dash, Please Help!

I installed a set of TRD sway bars last night, but when I was done and started the car back up, this light came on:

It looks like it would be a "bulb out" warning light, but I have checked all the bulbs everywhere and can't find any out. I'm not even sure that's what it is though. All the manual says about it is "take it to a dealer". I hope it's just something I didn't install right or was supposed to hook back up and nothing serious. Any input on this?

'02 BO IS3Hundo: full black leather, E-Shift, non VSC, SRT Intake w/R-ECU, GGP painted stock 5 spokes, TRD Yellow sways, smoked lights, JDM antenna, Pioneer touch sceen

'01 Z06: black C6 Z06 wheels, C6 Z06 shifter, RK5 hood, smoked lights, fixed HID's, Borla catback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

That is the malfunction for the headlight leveling system. It's possible that you bumped or hit the sensor or it's linkage by chance? There is one height sensor in the front and one in the rear. Check the linkages and sensor conditions. This should help you see what to look for. You may have just knocked it loose. See my post below for pics and description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm4444 View Post
Lexus refers to them as height sensors, and there are two of them on the left side of the car. Each run about $350 at the dealer but I've seen them on ebay for a fraction of the cost. I would look under you car and inspect the sensors. If it is a periodic malfunction, then the linkage or one of the sensors sensor are going bad. see the threads below for my description of where they are and what to look for.

https://my.is/forums/f115/headlight-l...-light-418991/

https://my.is/forums/f115/auto-headli...-light-418416/

here is a pic of the front sensor

and the rear

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Oh yeah, I definitely messed with that one in the rear. It had to come loose cause it was attached to the bottom of the end link. Maybe I put it on backwards or something. I was wondering why it felt so loose.

'02 BO IS3Hundo: full black leather, E-Shift, non VSC, SRT Intake w/R-ECU, GGP painted stock 5 spokes, TRD Yellow sways, smoked lights, JDM antenna, Pioneer touch sceen

'01 Z06: black C6 Z06 wheels, C6 Z06 shifter, RK5 hood, smoked lights, fixed HID's, Borla catback

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
Oh yeah, I definitely messed with that one in the rear. It had to come loose cause it was attached to the bottom of the end link. Maybe I put it on backwards or something. I was wondering why it felt so loose.
I see, makes sense. Try to get it like how accurate it is in the pic above. You may actually see where the star 10mm nut was at in the notched area. It may take a few trys to get it back to it's center, but you'll get it. Good luck.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Geezer

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If that arm is at a sharp angle you will get the headlight leveling light. The arm should be at about the angle in the pic that Jason posted. This happens a lot when people modify suspensions.

Edit: I see our resident genius slipped in a ninja post.

MOLON LABE
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Do I actually have to tighten anything because I didn't actually take anything loose on it, or do I just need to adjust it by hand into place?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Immortal

If you removed it or loosened the mounting, you'll have to tweak it to get the malfunction light to disappear. There is only one adjustment and that's the 10mm start nut on the slotted bracket that you see on the bottom. That's why there is a notch there, to allow for slight adjustments. The linkage itself consists of two tiny ball joints with a "dog bone" like arm in the middle. The lower portion needs attached where it came off of and the sensor is very particular about it.

EDIT: The slotted bracket is mounted with the same bolt that mount the end link(bolt goes through the lower suspension arm). If you DID NOT touch the star nut on the slotted bracket, then you'll just have to loosen the bolt that holds the bracket and end link and slide the bracket up or down a hair until the light goes out. I had to take a quick look at my car and noticed the bracket gets bolted with the end link. You're probably off up/down a tiny bit.

Thanks Bart I wish I did know everything about this car.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD

Last edited by jasonm4; 03-04-2012 at 07:22 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

I repositioned that rear bracket and that fixed it, thanks guys.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
I repositioned that rear bracket and that fixed it, thanks guys.
Glad to hear you got it, good fix! I knew it needed moved, but did you have to move it much? Just curious.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Frequenter

My light has been on for the last year plus. Sometimes I can see well other times they are pointed so low that I have to use my brights. I have never touched these sensors before what are your recommendations?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by G's IS300 View Post
My light has been on for the last year plus. Sometimes I can see well other times they are pointed so low that I have to use my brights. I have never touched these sensors before what are your recommendations?
I would recommend to get the lights pointed the right way as soon as possible. Don't want to get a ticket or even worse, cause an accident. For now i thinks its best to do the free fix mod which will allow you to focus the light forward, but it doesn't fix the problem, it disables it. Here's the link.
https://my.is/forums/f64/is300-how-fi...g-free-342712/

On the other hand it could be an easy fix, maybe the sensor arm broke off or something. Once the seal is broken and starts to corrode, the lights will act goofy. What you're goind go have to do os pull the sensor off and measure the resistance it has. Be careful if you open it up because i believe there is a spring or two for the wiper. It could be the leveler motors or module but it is almost always oje of the sensors. Post back your findings.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Frequenter

Will they always go through there cycle of up and down. Half of the time I turn them on they just turn on with no up or down movement.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by G's IS300 View Post
Will they always go through there cycle of up and down. Half of the time I turn them on they just turn on with no up or down movement.
They only cycle up and down when the stalk switch is set on auto and the car is first turned on. If your car is already on and you turn the switch to headlights on or Auto, they won't sweep. At least that's how it is on my car.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Fiend

Just went to the car wash for the first time ever in my life because I felt in the lazy mood and it being almost 100 out.. yea didnt wanna be the one out scrubbing.

so I went through the wash (everything was fine) brought the car up to their cleaning station got out and sat for 15 mins while they cleaned it and wiped it down. got in started it and drove away and noticed the headlight leveling sensor light come on.

could the pressure from the water knock it out of whack or loose? I mean I have pressure washed the car myself plenty just not underneath.

I did the pull the height sensor trick but would really like to get it fixed as I hate having shit half assed

05' MSM IS300 E-Shift
Stance GR+ Coilovers
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus01IS300 View Post
Just went to the car wash for the first time ever in my life because I felt in the lazy mood and it being almost 100 out.. yea didnt wanna be the one out scrubbing.

so I went through the wash (everything was fine) brought the car up to their cleaning station got out and sat for 15 mins while they cleaned it and wiped it down. got in started it and drove away and noticed the headlight leveling sensor light come on.

could the pressure from the water knock it out of whack or loose? I mean I have pressure washed the car myself plenty just not underneath.

I did the pull the height sensor trick but would really like to get it fixed as I hate having shit half assed
Sounds like water either got into one of the sensors or the connector. There's a tiny O ring on the sensor's cap, if it fails, the sensor will fault. It's hard to say if it's the rear or front, i don't think it's mechanically messes up, just have water or moisture issue. You can try to see if it will dry up on it's own, but it may not. If you decide to remove and open the sensor, be careful because there is a spring and very sensitive contacts inside.

PS. Car washes with brushes are absolutely horrible and the brush at the manual wash bays, stay clear from them unless you don't care about your paint

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page