IS300 Highway speed hesitantion - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

IS300 Highway speed hesitantion

Hey guys this is my first post here through I’ve been roaming the forums for a few now. I just got my first IS300 (2002 153k automatic) which I traded for my 91 mr2 turbo. I got it registered this past Thursday so I haven’t had much time in the seat of this vehicle yet.

So my issue is, I’m having a hesitation issue at highway speeds. I’ll explain everything in detail..

The engine has a tick that accelates with engine rpm. Also has a p0430 code ( has Hp headers - downpipe/cat delete).

As for the tick. This is a text sent to me by the previous owner “It had it when I bought it , it was a lot worse at first but from my understanding it’s when the oil passages get clogged basically the guy before me either put cheap oil or cheap gas , so I put an oil additive to make it clean then I ran rotella Diesel oil it has minerals that keep them clean .i think the only wait to like 100% fix it is to shim the valves . But it will not hurt the car at all I looked in to it multiple times“

I’m skeptical of the Oil passage being clogged. What I’ve did on Thursday...

I replaced the spark plugs / wires ( duralast wires from autozone ), Checked timing ( PO recently did timing belt etc ), pulled valve covers off & visually checked valve train ( did not check valve clearance ), did compression check, changed oil mobile1. I didn’t pull the serpentine belt off either to check there. I also put a screw driver to the injector rail & the ticking sounds loudest there especially between c# 3&4. So I’m assuming I have excessively loud injector(s).

Friday- took the car out for the first time being registered for a quick errand run. Felt & drove fine.

Saturday- went to get my fenders rolled & leaving my house my trac light was blinking. Accelerating over the speed bumps in my community I felt minor hesitant at 2k rpm. Pulled into gas station. Filled up tank tighten cap, reset cel. Went back out later in the day same thing flashing trac light. Pulled the negative cable off, found my o2 sensor closest to the fire wall sitting on header so I fixed that & wire visually looked fine. Pulled spark plug 1 & 6, they looked fine as well. Blinking trac light hasn’t came back since but the cel code p0430 did.

As for the hesitation. Driving around town & accelating feel fine. the tricky part is, at highway speeds around 50-60mph - 2-3k rpm if I go over a bump in the pavement not all the time but sometimes it’ll hesitate very slightly for a moment. It’s like if the power band gets disrupted it has to take a moment to collect itself but if I’m driving on a clean paved road with no disruptions its fine. I’m a little puzzled.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to give as much detail as possible. Also I’m not against finding some stock headers n throwing those on, if I can’t find a way to clear the cels or if that’s what’s causing the issue. I live in Florida, we don’t have emissions so that’s not a concern.
I don’t care for the bolt on mods the engine has on it, I plan on manual swapping with a 1jz so In the mean time I just want it to be reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:00 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvalentine View Post
Hey guys this is my first post here through Iíve been roaming the forums for a few now. I just got my first IS300 (2002 153k automatic) which I traded for my 91 mr2 turbo. I got it registered this past Thursday so I havenít had much time in the seat of this vehicle yet.

So my issue is, Iím having a hesitation issue at highway speeds. Iíll explain everything in detail..

The engine has a tick that accelates with engine rpm. Also has a p0430 code ( has Hp headers - downpipe/cat delete).

As for the tick. This is a text sent to me by the previous owner ďIt had it when I bought it , it was a lot worse at first but from my understanding itís when the oil passages get clogged basically the guy before me either put cheap oil or cheap gas , so I put an oil additive to make it clean then I ran rotella Diesel oil it has minerals that keep them clean .i think the only wait to like 100% fix it is to shim the valves . But it will not hurt the car at all I looked in to it multiple timesď

Iím skeptical of the Oil passage being clogged. What Iíve did on Thursday...

I replaced the spark plugs / wires ( duralast wires from autozone ), Checked timing ( PO recently did timing belt etc ), pulled valve covers off & visually checked valve train ( did not check valve clearance ), did compression check, changed oil mobile1. I didnít pull the serpentine belt off either to check there. I also put a screw driver to the injector rail & the ticking sounds loudest there especially between c# 3&4. So Iím assuming I have excessively loud injector(s).

Friday- took the car out for the first time being registered for a quick errand run. Felt & drove fine.

Saturday- went to get my fenders rolled & leaving my house my trac light was blinking. Accelerating over the speed bumps in my community I felt minor hesitant at 2k rpm. Pulled into gas station. Filled up tank tighten cap, reset cel. Went back out later in the day same thing flashing trac light. Pulled the negative cable off, found my o2 sensor closest to the fire wall sitting on header so I fixed that & wire visually looked fine. Pulled spark plug 1 & 6, they looked fine as well. Blinking trac light hasnít came back since but the cel code p0430 did.

As for the hesitation. Driving around town & accelating feel fine. the tricky part is, at highway speeds around 50-60mph - 2-3k rpm if I go over a bump in the pavement not all the time but sometimes itíll hesitate very slightly for a moment. Itís like if the power band gets disrupted it has to take a moment to collect itself but if Iím driving on a clean paved road with no disruptions its fine. Iím a little puzzled.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to give as much detail as possible. Also Iím not against finding some stock headers n throwing those on, if I canít find a way to clear the cels or if thatís whatís causing the issue. I live in Florida, we donít have emissions so thatís not a concern.
I donít care for the bolt on mods the engine has on it, I plan on manual swapping with a 1jz so In the mean time I just want it to be reliable.
If you are referring to cat codes (420,430) Get a simulator. Other than that the hesitation could be a slight bad TPS. Not bad enough to throw a code. But a bad enough spot to feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page