Hotchkis rear sway bar - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hotchkis rear sway bar

Heard a squeaking sound coming from the rear left and found my end link was rubbing against the spring. So, looked along the sway bar and it was snapped in the center!

Anyone know what would cause it to snap as it's the second time this has happened. I know sway bars reduce body roll, but this is my daily driver and not a track car and I don't believe it should be under such stress. Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Hotchkis replaced the first one under warranty back in '08 even though I had no proof of purchase - bought the car used with it on. Not sure if I'll be able to pull the same off this time, unless others have suggestions?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Guru

Quoted: 219 Post(s)

Garage
You need to grease the bushings 1-2x per year. If you don't, the same thing will keep happening. Luckily, the Hotchkis bushings have a grease fitting to make maintenance easy.

My thread of picture [email protected]: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 05:35 AM
Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)

Garage
My guess would be that it was too tight (and maybe dry bushings too). Need to respect the Toyota/Lexus specified torque specs. For the rear sway bar, it's not that tight; 13 ft-lbs for the bushings/mounting brackets, 33 at the end link. But maybe 6 years is not too bad for a replacement? idk

I Fail at keeping my car clean

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalero View Post
You need to grease the bushings 1-2x per year. If you don't, the same thing will keep happening. Luckily, the Hotchkis bushings have a grease fitting to make maintenance easy.

^^ this! You must grease them like that or else they'll snap. These bars are hollow on the inside, therefor easier to snap when not greased properly. There's different threads on this if you google search it.

01 IS300 - MSM - 240k mile high club

Currently in: snow mode

BRZ Differential w/ 4.1 -- K&N FIPK Intake -- CXRacing Coilovers -- IS350 18" Wheels -- Greddy Lip [RIP :(]

Hotchkis Sways -- OBX Shorty Headers -- Custom Magnaflow Catback

"Gotta work on the nut behind the wheel before you start fixing bolts on the car"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Make sure to use synthetic grease if you're using polyurethane/OE bushings. You don't want to use petroleum based grease if you have those types of bushings.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looks like the consensus is they need to be greased often.

I got a reply from Hotchis - they requested pictures of the sway bar and my car. Hopefully they will warranty it.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page