Headlights lo blinks once when turned on - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Headlights lo blinks once when turned on

First time posting on here and glad to be a owner of a 01í IS300. Bought this car last month for cheap but came with its flaws. The car has 255k on it and Iím doing major maintenance before getting it on the road (i.e. timing belt, lights, liquids, sparks and gaskets).

So, hereís the deal man the headlights low beam isnít coming on and this is what Iíve tracked so far. when I switch it to parking lights they come on and daytime lights come on, switch up one the low beams blink for a split second and thatís it. The high beams come on when you hit it. When I turn the switch to auto the low beams are still not coming on, but high beams are still good.
From what Iíve dug, I know its not the ballast because the problem isnít isolated and when I turn the light switch, I hear relays kicking on around the driver side floorboard, air intake box and I think the headlights. Some forums have made me think it could be the daylight sensor, but I know that couldnít be it.
Iím asking my new fellow ISíers to figure out this pickle. Anything helps and thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:07 AM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmasterfranco View Post
First time posting on here and glad to be a owner of a 01í IS300. Bought this car last month for cheap but came with its flaws. The car has 255k on it and Iím doing major maintenance before getting it on the road (i.e. timing belt, lights, liquids, sparks and gaskets).

So, hereís the deal man the headlights low beam isnít coming on and this is what Iíve tracked so far. when I switch it to parking lights they come on and daytime lights come on, switch up one the low beams blink for a split second and thatís it. The high beams come on when you hit it. When I turn the switch to auto the low beams are still not coming on, but high beams are still good.
From what Iíve dug, I know its not the ballast because the problem isnít isolated and when I turn the light switch, I hear relays kicking on around the driver side floorboard, air intake box and I think the headlights. Some forums have made me think it could be the daylight sensor, but I know that couldnít be it.
Iím asking my new fellow ISíers to figure out this pickle. Anything helps and thank you!
Daylight sensor only works if you set the switch to auto on. If they stay on, when in manual on. Then it is possible the sensor is bad. If the flicker in manual mode. More than likely the ballast, switch, or relay are bad.

Careful & Consistent
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:50 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)

I would test the low beam HID wires at the head light to see if they have constant power. IF so, sounds like your HIDs are just completely dead, might want to replace the bulbs and ballasts to be fresh.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 SolarYellow View Post
Daylight sensor only works if you set the switch to auto on. If they stay on, when in manual on. Then it is possible the sensor is bad. If the flicker in manual mode. More than likely the ballast, switch, or relay are bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
I would test the low beam HID wires at the head light to see if they have constant power. IF so, sounds like your HIDs are just completely dead, might want to replace the bulbs and ballasts to be fresh.

SolarYellow & TobiasSing - checked the switch and i can hear the relays click in and out when turning. when i checked the voltage it was low, right around 6 to 7 Vdc.. is that correct? maybe the ballast aren't getting enough voltage but no lights are showing on the cluster. What happens if the voltage is spiked at the bulbs/ballast but nothing is consistent, is the daylight running light relay controlling both headlights? i say that because when i turn the dimmer switch i hear two clicks coming from at..

forgot to add where i checked the voltage, that was at the battery itself from terminal to terminal. the other was at the fuse box, i checked voltage using a chassis ground.

sorry for the lack of knowladge, i literately have had this car for a month and first IS300 ever.

Last edited by funkmasterfranco; 06-13-2019 at 07:07 PM. Reason: forgot some info.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Has anyone modified the lights at all? Just wondering if someone has messed up the wiring trying to install aftermarket HID or driving/daytime lights? The JDM dont come with driving/daytime lights, do the USDM? (or do you mean the fog lights?)

As mentioned if it is HID lights then it could be either bulbs or ballasts. If you had a working known working bulb you could swap between the 2 to confirm both ballasts are working, but if both are gone that isnt going to work. You might want to start with the bulbs as they are usually the cheapest part and if there are still issues start looking at the ballasts. FYI the ballasts can still be bad despite the relays turning on and off.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut00 View Post
Has anyone modified the lights at all? Just wondering if someone has messed up the wiring trying to install aftermarket HID or driving/daytime lights? The JDM dont come with driving/daytime lights, do the USDM? (or do you mean the fog lights?)

As mentioned if it is HID lights then it could be either bulbs or ballasts. If you had a working known working bulb you could swap between the 2 to confirm both ballasts are working, but if both are gone that isnt going to work. You might want to start with the bulbs as they are usually the cheapest part and if there are still issues start looking at the ballasts. FYI the ballasts can still be bad despite the relays turning on and off.

no the last owner was a sadly to say the typical girl that did little maintenance but the dad did mention he changed out the HIDs and had a extra pair with him so ill contact him for those suckers. the reason why i don't think its the ballast is because each headlight has one. if it was just one for both then case closed.

but i will check all what you guys have said and get to you with the info within the couple of days coming. i appreciate the help guys!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:19 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmasterfranco View Post
no the last owner was a sadly to say the typical girl that did little maintenance but the dad did mention he changed out the HIDs and had a extra pair with him so ill contact him for those suckers. the reason why i don't think its the ballast is because each headlight has one. if it was just one for both then case closed.

but i will check all what you guys have said and get to you with the info within the couple of days coming. i appreciate the help guys!
Yeah i thought it is strange for 2 to go at the same time, hence the question about anyone playing with the wiring. As mentioned it could then be a grounding issue, (im guessing you have checked and rechecked all the fuses?). Might pay to see if there is a relay that might have gone, they can still make noise when they arent working properly.

After that i'm not sure, electrical isn't near my areas of expertise

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)

" is the daylight running light relay controlling both headlights?" Yes, it triggers both high beams at half power.

If you check all that. I would say the ballast are bad. Fuses, bulbs, switch, and relays are good. Just remember the day light sensor only controls the lights in automatic cut on mode. So if in manual on. On the switch. Then the only thing left is the ballasts.

Careful & Consistent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page