Dashboard lights not working. - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dashboard lights not working.

Hello everyone. Need some help. Just bought an 02 IS300. It's my second one. When th head lights go on the dashboard lights should go on as well and there not. So I figured that it was the fuse. According to the fuse map it is a 7.5 amp fuse. When I took the fuse out it was burnt. So I changed it and the new on burnt. Changed it one more time and it burnt again. The person I got the car from had an aftermarket radio in it and it was taken out. So I am figuring that is probably the problem. Now do I have to take this to a mechanic or can I solve the problem with a fuse with a higher amperage. Thank you for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Yea, the 7.5A Panel fuse feeds all the interior illumination but i would NOT put a higher rated fuse in it's place.

I would pull the radio out and inspect the harness for a solid green wire, which is wire for the radio illumination. You probably have a short somewhere and that wire could be loose behind the center console. You can also narrow down the problem simply by pulling the 1E connector or the 1F connector at the driver kick panel. The circuit splits and feeds bulbs in the cabin and cluster. The 1F connector feeds the cluster, trac off switch, snow button, and dimmer. 1E feeds everything else including the radio. Grab some extra 7.5A fuses and try one connector at a time and see if it holds. You will need a multimeter to find the short once you find out if it's on the dimmer circuit or the other circuit.

Here is the layout so you know which one is 1E and 1F.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

One thing I forgot to mention is that the light on the radio where the station is and the light on the climate control where the temp display is works. It is the instrument cluster and all the buttons on the radio and the dials on th climate control that aren't working.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Immortal

Hmm..with the panel fuse blown, you should have no interior illumination, especially the radio and temperature display, unless the previous owner did some rewiring.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I think I am just going to have to bring it to my mechanic and see what he says. I don't want to start messing with the wires and make it worse. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Immortal

No problem. It sounds like some of your illumination is working and some isn't. At this point you would most likely need a multimeter anyway at a couple junction points. Good luck and post an update.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

I will def post an update. Thank you again.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Hey Jason. Just wanted to give you an update on my dashboard lights not working. Seems like the wires to the cluster were not hooked up to anything. In fact my mechanic said that 2 wires were exposed. Both hot and if I were to hit a bump and they touched there would have been a fire. Do with that also had to do front struts and brakes. And needed to replace a pipe on the transmission because there was a hair line fracture in that. Also had to do a motor mount as well. So 1300$ later nd the IS is ack on the road.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Immortal

Wow, sounds like the IS got some much needed TLC. I'm not sure about the possibility of a fire because all of the circuits are fused and some sub-fused, but nevertheless, glad they was able to find the source of the problem. I bet you wasn't expecting that kind of bill, glad to hear the car is in much better shape now! Thanks for posting an update.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Car is feeling a lot better. Have to post some pics. I have to ask though. What are all the abbreviations. Like LSD and GGP??

Msm???

Last edited by jasonm4; 08-29-2012 at 03:24 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 PM

Good read. Having a similar issue.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 03:23 AM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnigro76 View Post
Car is feeling a lot better. Have to post some pics. I have to ask though. What are all the abbreviations. Like LSD and GGP??
LSD=limited slip differential
GGP=Graphite Grey Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnigro76 View Post
Msm???
MSM=Millennium Silver Metallic.

Mostly paint colors.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 03:58 PM

My car sat for two weeks, went to drive it last night and none of the dashboard, radio or button lights light up. However the cig lighter, map and over head lights do. Checked both fuses and they are both fine... any suggestions??

Ben G
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - Slow
2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 - Slower
2002 Lexus IS300 - Even Slower
2000 Lexus ES300 - Slowest
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsed830 View Post
My car sat for two weeks, went to drive it last night and none of the dashboard, radio or button lights light up. However the cig lighter, map and over head lights do. Checked both fuses and they are both fine... any suggestions??
The vanity and dome lights are separate circuits. Check the 7.5A Panel fuse in the kick panel. Since you said that fuse is ok, check the dimmer. The cluster and center console are on it and it may be creating an open circuit.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:53 AM

alright smart guys im in need of your help

I wired up a external fuse panel that requires only a power wire to be attached to it in order to be used for other accessories such as a wide band o-2 sensor.

What i did was i ran the power wire from the fuse panel into the power wire for the cigarette lighter (not using the cigarette lighter anymore).

When i did that now my climate controls are really dim the still work but super dim??? any thought and the fuse that im using on the fuse panel for the o-2 sensor gauge is a 30 amp fuse?? thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page