• 1 Post By Hodgdon Extreme

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Check Engine Light for EVAP ?

Hello guys,
Recently my 2005 IS300 began throwing this CEL code: P0441. I googled it and it is for the Evap system or Evap controls.
Ive checked the obvious things, gas cap, all hoses are connected. Car is stock with the exception of intake and exhaust.
It throws the code randomly, I turn it off with my code reader and itll stay off for a little while. Anyone experienced this? Would greatly appreciate any thought, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:00 AM
Loyalist

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)

Inspect the EVAP system. It can be a bad gas cap to a hose that came off or broke. I would replace the gas cap first. But if you do. I would get the OEM cap.

Careful & Consistent
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank You! I will replace the gas cap and inspect the lines and vent lines at the tank.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:47 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 88 Post(s)

P0442 and P0455 are the ones generally associated with a leak in the vapor dome of the fuel system (like a leaky gas cap).

P0441 refers to improper purge flow.

An empty gas tank is not truly empty - it is filled with gasoline vapors. Filling it with liquid fuel at the pump will push all that vapor out of tank. The EPA and CARB don't want those vapors pushed out into the atmosphere, so your fuel tank is vented to atmosphere THRU a canister filled with charcoal. As the vapors pass through the bed of charcoal, they condense and collect on/in the coal.

There is a line that runs from the charcoal canister to the intake manifold, with a computer-actuated valve (called the purge valve) between them. From time to time, the computer will open the purge valve and allow the engine to suck on the charcoal canister, removing the fuel vapors and condensation.

The computer knows when it is ASKING for purge flow - but it is also mandated that it diagnose/determine if the action actually took place. Usually there is a pressure and/or flow sensor on the line that runs between charcoal canister and intake manifold. When the valve opens and the engine sucks on the canister - there should be either flow detected, or perhaps a slight pressure drop. A lack of flow and/or pressure indicates there is not actual purge flow --> and thus, a malfunction.

The valve itself has it's own circuit functionality diagnostics, which are basic OBD-1 codes. Because you're not getting any circuit fault trouble codes, I suspect your valve and sensor are operating correctly, but you have a disconnected, broken or leaking purge flow line.

Hope that helps.
mesooohoppy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page