Lexus IS Forum banner

CEL: Oxygen Sensor

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Bubba1 
#1 ·
I got a CEL and the dealership told me it was the oxygen sensor on the right bank.

Now, I like to think that I know cars, but when my wife asked me what the O2 sensor was and what it did, I could only give a reasonable approximation of what I thought it did. Can anyone help?

By the way, the $500 I paid for the extended warranty from CarMax just paid off. It was $460 for the repair. I know we all hear about people who buy used cars and think the extended warranty is a ripoff, but with CarMax it was easy to make the claim and close it out. I just owed the dealership the $75 deductable.

#3 ·
Hmm... "Right Bank O2 Sensor"... on an inline 6 engine? I'd be asking them what car they were working on.

The O2 sensors only cost about $100 each and usually aren't too hard to replace yourself.

Regarding your question... this link should give ya everything you need to know :)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question257.htm

#4 ·
I just took B2S2 out and cleaned it with compressed air then put it back.
It was a little loose when I took it out so probably
that was why CEL was on.
Reseted ECU and no CEL so far :)
If CEL comes back on, then I found the sensor for $105 on ebay (Bosch, new)
My car is a 2001 IS300
Here some pics:
"Y" Pipe sensor:

I had to take the passenger seat out to unplug the sensor.

The sensor out:

The tool kit from Advance Auto Parts (rented):

#5 ·
I just put on a megan racing down pipe, and I must say the the O2 sensor was bitch to get off! I had to heat it up with a torch, and now it is basically stripped, so I could not tighten that much when I put it back on.
Anyway
Apparently it was fine until just an hour ago I was driving and the CEL and flashing traction off light came on.
So I have a question, do you think I need to replace my O2 sensor, or should I just bring it somewhere and get it tightened more, and see what happens? And what will they say if I bring it to the dealership? Will it be covered by the warranty? Or will they say tough shit?

thanks

#9 ·
I just replaced mine myself.... I got the OEM part from lex for 176.00 well worth the xtra 66.00 so i didnt have to cut/match up any wires... it was just plug and play... took me all of 30 min to do...the CEL for an O2 sensor shouldnt have anything to do with your trac button... if trac wont work you have another issue.... You probably ruined it with the torch.... I'd get a new one throw some anti-seize on there and plop that bitch in and be done with it..

#12 ·
The down pipe probably isnt your problem.... It was heating it up with a torch to get it off initially..... when you crank on those things they break... sensitive.... make sure you put anti-seize on there when you throw the new one on and you wont have an issue....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.