CEL Code Database - Ask Question's Here - Page 9 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With it plugged in it runs horribly and if you touch gas it dies. with it unplugged it runs fine besides only revs to 3k .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 04:17 AM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekdog View Post
With it plugged in it runs horribly and if you touch gas it dies. with it unplugged it runs fine besides only revs to 3k .
If you're running stock engine management, then you need the MAF plugged in. That is an extremely vital sensor and you will never rev past 3k or have a properly running car without that sensor.

We need to back up here. You initially had an fault thrown for the Throttle Control Motor, has this code come back or do you still have a CEL? The TCM is responsible to properly adjust the butterfly electronically at idle and up to about 70% throttle. Now that your throttle position sensor is set for the correct voltage, and providing you followed my instructions perfectly, i would rescan for any new or pending codes. What i bet is happening is that your TCM is not adjusting the butterfly, possibly due to a bad clutch within that unit(which was also your original code). One thing that is for certain, the MAF needs to be functioning and always plugged in. Once you've done that, see if the CEL is on and rescan for any new or existing DTC's.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #123 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 PM

Codes came back only as maf and iat sensors unplugged and plugged in and reset car cel light ie still on along with flashing trac light

post #124 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Immortal

Well i would keep your MAF plugged in because obviously the car will not run without it. I'm very surprised you did not pull any other codes once the MAG was reconnected, especially with a CEL light. I wonder if your scanner really isn't picking up the stored code(s) or if you have poor spark to the plugs. How does the car run at WOT once it gets going?

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #125 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 PM

With it plugged it it won't drive and at wot it just dies with out it its fine no misses no nothing its fine
post #126 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 PM

Hey guys,

I've had a CEL on for some time now and replaced an O2 sensor, which temporarily fixed the problem. Today I got it scanned at Autozone and it threw a P0420 code. So I saw on the forum that there are a few ways to check whats wrong (O2, leaks in the exhaust, cats) for this code.

But the guys at Autozone actually brought up the part (catalytic converter) for me and this is the model: Walker/Catalytic Converter (54666) | AutoZone.com

So my main question is, would this actually work for an IS? Rather then spending a crazy amount at a dealership I was wondering if this would be an affordable fix.

A mechanic told me that aftermarket parts such as these would not work and should not be used. But I have a feeling he is trying to rip me off.
post #127 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM

Im gonna try the tcm or parts store brought up idle control valve as same thing but its expensive anyone have an extra one for sale ebay is more expensive than the parts stores
post #128 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr5190 View Post
Hey guys,

I've had a CEL on for some time now and replaced an O2 sensor, which temporarily fixed the problem. Today I got it scanned at Autozone and it threw a P0420 code. So I saw on the forum that there are a few ways to check whats wrong (O2, leaks in the exhaust, cats) for this code.

But the guys at Autozone actually brought up the part (catalytic converter) for me and this is the model: Walker/Catalytic Converter (54666) | AutoZone.com

So my main question is, would this actually work for an IS? Rather then spending a crazy amount at a dealership I was wondering if this would be an affordable fix.

A mechanic told me that aftermarket parts such as these would not work and should not be used. But I have a feeling he is trying to rip me off.
I would always check for exhaust leaks and change the OEM denso oxygen sensor. You can get an exact for around $100 or Denso universal and splice in for half that. Do NOT buy a cat or exhaust part unless you are sure that is the problem. There are 3 tests i can think of.(IR temp gun, vacuum, smog)

Quote:
Im gonna try the tcm or parts store brought up idle control valve as same thing but its expensive anyone have an extra one for sale ebay is more expensive than the parts stores
Yea, if you're are throwing throttle control motor faults or the related clutch, change it. There is no idle air control valve on this car, just the TCM. The MAF needs to be working and plugged in under stock engine management for sure. A scanner can tell us more such as realtime data and codes.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #129 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:18 PM

only problem right now is getting money to buy the thing how exactly does it come off to i read somewhere that the throttle body has to come off is that true
post #130 of 181 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Immortal

Quote:
only problem right now is getting money to buy the thing how exactly does it come off to i read somewhere that the throttle body has to come off is that true
It's actually pretty easy. Follow the spark plug diy to disassemble the throttle body so you can clean it thoroughly and both sides of the butterfly. You do not have to remove the two coolant lines and i suggest not doing so unless you bleed the system. Remember to clean under the plate on top held on by two philips screws(which can be done anytime). Idle air passes through there and I'm betting yours is pretty dirty. All you need is some metric sockets and some extensions, a clean rag, and some carb/TB cleaner for the job. It make your engine breath hella better! It helped my idle issue and only took an hour or two and that was with removing it. Also remember NOT to move or soak the 3 electronic parts, the throttle position sensor, controller motor, and apps. Don't even loosen the mounting screws unless you plan on using a voltmeter to reset them. Hope this helps, gl.

https://my.is/forums/f221/spark-plug-...tached-254217/

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #131 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 05:55 PM

p0300,p0301,p0302,p0303 2002 is300 idles bad and runs bad but as soon as you crank it its fine then after 30 seconds or so it starts running bad any help would be great as to why only bank 1 is misfiring
post #132 of 181 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc piety View Post
p0300,p0301,p0302,p0303 2002 is300 idles bad and runs bad but as soon as you crank it its fine then after 30 seconds or so it starts running bad any help would be great as to why only bank 1 is misfiring
Bank 1 oxygen sensor would be suspect. Compare voltage outputs with the other bank. Doesn't wound like ignition problems but verify the spark plug valley isn't filled with oil.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #133 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:24 AM

p0420 p0422 p0400
any help would be great
post #134 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:39 AM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex818213 View Post
p0420 p0422 p0400
any help would be great
P0440 (evap emission control sys malfunction). Troubled areas:
Hose cracked, holed, damage or loose seal.
Fuel tank cap not installed properly, cracked or damage.
Vac hose cracked, holed, blocked, damage or disconnected.
Fuel tank cracked, holed or damage.
Charcoal canister cracked, holed or damage.
Open or short in vapor pressure sensor circuit.
Vapor pressure sensor.
Fuel tank over fill check valve cranked or damage.
ECM

P0422 means Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
Means that...
Bad or non-functional catalytic converter
Engine operating out of optimal air:fuel ratio
-So this could mean the cat isn't doing it's job properly or the car needs a tune up. Is all maintenance up to date?

P0420 means bank 1 catalytic convertor efficiency is below threshhold.

Seeing that you have both P0422 and P0420, i would think you bank 1 cat needs checked out to see if it's doing it's job properly(if you still have cats, if you don't, you'll need a sim/delete to remove and keep cat codes from coming up. Otherwise, I would have your cat checked for leaks, leaks in the exhaust system, and the cat itself checked to see if it is working right(smog check, temperature check, and/or vacuum test on the cat).

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #135 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:27 PM

I'm trying to put on new fog lights. Will the Hyper White LED (4" Round) fog lights fit on the IS 300?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page