1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natodog View Post
first of all how do you put a vvt actuator in backwards? and fix the timing? this is a NON INTERFERENCE motor, if the timings off you got bent valves, sometimes if your oil does not show up on the dipstick or your motor is sludged your vvt actuator wont work because its not getting oil pressure,

did it idle rough?
im not sure how they messed up the first install, he said it would take a couple hours and it ended up taking all day...then he called and said they wanted to fix the timing, because when they took it out it seemed a little off

when i picked it up after they fixed all that it was driving smooth for the first two miles and then the CEL popped up again

it doesnt and hasnt idled rough but hesitates sometimes on initial acceleration

My main question is...should this part have been the first option to replace for this code or are there other things to check and could there be electrical issues as well.

thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:10 PM
truth versions only

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
first of all how do you put a vvt actuator in backwards? and fix the timing? this is a NON INTERFERENCE motor, if the timings off you got bent valves, sometimes if your oil does not show up on the dipstick or your motor is sludged your vvt actuator wont work because its not getting oil pressure,

did it idle rough?
Non interference motor means it will not bend valves when the cam timing is off.
post #18 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kponti View Post
Non interference motor means it will not bend valves when the cam timing is off.
dangit, i meat interferance, shit haha

post #19 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbacktokali View Post
im not sure how they messed up the first install, he said it would take a couple hours and it ended up taking all day...then he called and said they wanted to fix the timing, because when they took it out it seemed a little off

when i picked it up after they fixed all that it was driving smooth for the first two miles and then the CEL popped up again

it doesnt and hasnt idled rough but hesitates sometimes on initial acceleration

My main question is...should this part have been the first option to replace for this code or are there other things to check and could there be electrical issues as well.

thanks again

i would either replace or clean your MAF sensor, sounds like you got a bad one, usually replacing the MAF and resetting the computer and/or unplugging the negative post to the battery for 5 minutes or so will reset the computer, i havent seen an actuator actually go out on an is300, the main lexus i see get vvt-i actuators are the RX300's, usually only based upon their design and lack of regular oil changes, they shouldnt touch the timing, if its off, your motor is gonna let you know haha, trust me
post #20 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
i would either replace or clean your MAF sensor, sounds like you got a bad one, usually replacing the MAF and resetting the computer and/or unplugging the negative post to the battery for 5 minutes or so will reset the computer, i havent seen an actuator actually go out on an is300, the main lexus i see get vvt-i actuators are the RX300's, usually only based upon their design and lack of regular oil changes, they shouldnt touch the timing, if its off, your motor is gonna let you know haha, trust me

ok, so got a call back today, they finally figured out the solenoid wasnt the issue...

apparently the last owner didnt change the oil regularly and the broken down oil created a varnish inside of my engine that was building up on the new solenoid and blocking it, setting off the CEL...

they suggested trying synthetic oil and BG MOA (which they put in my car)
and other than that the next step would be replacing the engine if all else fails

at this point im going to try these smaller solutions and keep driving the car and try to get it past emissions since they said this problem will only effect high end performance until the engine just goes completely and id be at the same point as i am now (as far as replacing the engine goes)

any suggestions for solutions or good extended vehicle warrantys that would cover this?
post #21 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Frequenter

As far as cleaning up your engine I can highly recommend Auto RX along with Pennzoil Yellow Bottle. That or use a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and any oil of your choice. I would go the Auto RX route first. Here is the site Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner Transmissions Motorcycles Stop Leaky Seals Oil Burning Increase MPG Better Gas Mileage Trouble Shifting ARX. I personally have had noticable results from this as well as many others. A good site to read up on this product is Welcome
post #22 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbacktokali View Post
ok, so got a call back today, they finally figured out the solenoid wasnt the issue...

apparently the last owner didnt change the oil regularly and the broken down oil created a varnish inside of my engine that was building up on the new solenoid and blocking it, setting off the CEL...

they suggested trying synthetic oil and BG MOA (which they put in my car)
and other than that the next step would be replacing the engine if all else fails

at this point im going to try these smaller solutions and keep driving the car and try to get it past emissions since they said this problem will only effect high end performance until the engine just goes completely and id be at the same point as i am now (as far as replacing the engine goes)

any suggestions for solutions or good extended vehicle warrantys that would cover this?

Toyota has an engine top cleaner device that helps wuite a bit, as far as not changing the oil regularly that would be why your getting the code, their is an old trick you could do, but have someone professional do it, is to use 5w-30 tranny fluid. you can run it through your engine for about 10 seconds with an oil filter on it, then drain the tranny fluid, remove the filter, replace with full synthetic oil and new filter, then drive for about 1000 miles and perform another oil service. ive done this to quite a few older cars and it works pretty well, it does smoke a little but its normal, just burning off the nasty deposits in your block
post #23 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 PM

Trouble Codes P0016 and P0037

Ive got a check engine light with the trac flashing. Pulled the codes and I got two P0016's and a P0037.

P0016- Crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A
P0037- HO2S Heater control circuit low (bank 1 sensor 2)

I know the P0037 code means a faulty Oxygen sensor and I plan on replacing that tomorrow. What I dont know about is the P0016. Should I be concerned about this? Car is running like a champ. Talked to the service department at Toyota and they said it was most likely a hickup because P0037 usually causes the car to run like crap. Reset the ECU and they came right back.

Also, can I get a Ox sensor (PN 89465-53200) at toyota.
post #24 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4tman View Post
is there a manual way of finding the codes without a scanner?
Just go to an auto parts store and they'll lend it to you to get your codes. That's about as manual as it gets. Haha

I have p0442 and p0446. I checked everything for the most part. I think I may have to have my Evap system thoroughly checked by my bro in law's shop and possibly change it.

03 GGP Sport Design
Greddy CF Front Lip + AAC CCFL 8k Halo Headlights
Greddy Evo II Cat-Back + SRT Intake + R-ECU
post #25 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:58 PM

Any advice on my codes?
post #26 of 181 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:15 AM
Frequenter

Sorry, I don't know about it. I say this because I know it's frustrating to not get any answers at all. Lol, did Toyota not say anything about what may be required? You might want to ask them what would be required since it came back on; that's what I would advise you to do.

03 GGP Sport Design
post #27 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Follower

p0442,441,446?

Took my car to autozone to get checked this morning, and it threw out these 3 codes.. can anyone explain them to me? The guy there..well.. he just didn't explain it good enough, I'm so confused!

p0441- BBEVAP system incorrect purge flow
possible:
block vapor canister
vent solenoid malfunction
purge solenoid malfunction

p0442- BBEVAP system small leak detected
possible:
failed vent solenoid
loose/missing fuel cap
purge solenoid malfunction
evap hose faulty

p0446-BBEVAP system vent control circuit
possible:
open or short circuit
poor electrical connection
faulty vent solenoid

what the heck does this all mean?!

thanks in advance =)
post #28 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Frequenter

There are several other threads that explain all this information...try to use the search function.

To make things simple, you may need to change your gas cap. Get it tested at an auto service shop. If that doesn't work, then you may have a damaged hose in your EVAP system or, possibly, a bad VSV sensor.

I have the p0442 code and I'm currently working on getting it off, myself. My gas cap is fine so I'm left with the hoses. I'm going to smoke the system to see if anything is leaking. If that doesn't work then I'm going to have a Toyota or Lexus dealership professionally diagnose it for me.

Good luck with it!

PS: try that search function next time, it works wonders!

03 GGP Sport Design
post #29 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Lurker

Cel

p0446-BBEVAP system vent control circuit
possible:
open or short circuit
poor electrical connection
faulty vent solenoid

That is the main problem. Its inside the Evap canister. 9 out of 10 times ita the evap canister. Check connections and hoses next to and aleaving it. Replacing the evap canister should fix the problem.
post #30 of 181 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Frequenter

Sweet, thanks for the tip Is3Tree2002 aka hero of the day. Lol, I planned on doing that but hearing it from someone else makes me feel better about it.

I'm Ron Burgundy; you stay classy, San Diego.

03 GGP Sport Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page