Car starts but no power....HELP!!! - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Car starts but no power....HELP!!!

hey wassup....im in a jam here. I just recently swapped my battery and when starting the car the engine starts, but then there's no power to anything besides the headlights. There's no power to instrument panel, radio, climate control, windows, locks, brake lights,and cant even put the car in drive....etc. ....i've already tried resetting the ecu by disconnecting the neg cable...any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Ninja?

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Go back and tighten your neg. cable some more. It has to be VERY tight.

©2006 my.IS
2015 F32 w/ N55 Alpine White
DO SUSPENSION FIRST!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Loyalist

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

anything else that could be causing this? i tried to start my car yesterday and the starter motor didn't even turn so i got a jump start and the car started right up with all the electricals working

i got out of my driveway and the car started acting weird. trac light was flashing along and the radio kept turning on and off by itself. when i pressed the brakes the battery light would turn on momentarily and turn off. when accelerating the car felt like it was turning on and off and misfiring. however after about a minute of this the car felt perfectly fine so i just thought the ecu was resetting. i drove about 15 miles driving on the freeway and back locally and after about idling about 2 stoplights on the 3rd stoplight and car turned off and again the starter motor wasn't turning when i tried to start it.

someone finally pulled over to give me another jump start but this time when i turned the car on none of the electricals turned on. rpms, gas gauge, temperature gauge, radio, none of it was working. however the security light and dome lights would turn on even w/o the engine on. now assuming it was the alternator i just replaced it and now the engine starts up fine, however the electricals still won't turn back on

HELP!

2004 MSM IS300
| Tein HA | JoeZ | Blitz | Project | Work | HKS | Xerd | GROM iPod |

3 Steps to Fit your Wheels

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 60 Post(s)

get a fuse tester and test all your fuses. You could have blown a fuse when you started your car with the new battery.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Follower

^Yep, though I think you can visually determine whether a fuse is blown when you pull it out. This was the case when I had a fuse blown after getting my old drained battery jumped a couple times. My radio wasn't working after I got my battery changed and it was a simple fix. Hopefully yours is as well

02 IBP IS300
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Loyalist

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

it was the main electrical fuse (if there is even one "main" electrical fuse), that's what the guy at the shop told me. now i don't have a car until sunday bc no one has the fuse and it has to be ordered in ..anyone know how much these run?

2004 MSM IS300
| Tein HA | JoeZ | Blitz | Project | Work | HKS | Xerd | GROM iPod |

3 Steps to Fit your Wheels
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:03 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Did they pull out the fuse and show it to you? Cuz usually, when shops figure out what is wrong with your car, they will show you what is broken or blown. If they didn't, they could be pulling your strings to make you pay more then you have to. If you trust the people that is working on your car right now, then it's your money .
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wow, you took it to a shop already? You can just pull the fuse cover off and check the 30 and 40 amp fuses with a flashlight. And by the way, it couldn't be the "main" fuse because thats the 100 amp one that if its blown, your car wouldn't start and NOTHING would have any power whatsoever. That fuse only blows when you hook the battey wrong or jump start it backwords.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 02:08 AM

Bump. Having this same issue. Help.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:56 AM

Just had the same problem! Tighten the cables!!! They were loose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page