LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is300wanted View Post
Charged the battery and the car fired right up, not really sure what caused the fuse to blow in the first place but im very happy right now that so far its been a free fix. Jason you have been very helpful this forum is very lucky to have you.
Glad i could help and the fuse is not blowing. If it does again, i can show you how to narrow it down to find the fault. Good luck

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well just as I feared the fuse keeps blowing when I drive it, I can get around at 20-30 mph but if I speed up or get on it, pops immediately. I checked with my scanner and the only code I get is P0141, which ive been getting from my header install anyway, just a thought though when I did the plugs and wires not long ago I used dialectric grease on the harnesses that plug into the coil packs because the clips were broken, could it be shorting across through the grease?
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Immortal

I would change B1S2 become you are throwing a heater malfunction for it and the EFI does feed all the heater circuits. I haven't heard of too many causes where a heater circuit blows the EFI, but there's definitely a problem there. The EFI also feeds the fuel pump. I would replace B1S2, inspect the wiring for that sensor, and see if it holds.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

I tried unplugging the 02 sensor and it changed nothing, I still blow the EFI fuse, so I dont suspect the short is coming from that, I looked wirring over in the engine bay and do not see anything out of place, pinched, burned, etc. I drove the car again and blew several fuses to try to narrow down what causes it. Doesnt matter if the car is hot or cold, doesnt matter if its hard acceleration or not, sometimes I am just coasting backwards out of the driveway other times its under heavy acceleration. So far I have not been able to pin point what causes it but the car can sit and idle forever without blowing the fuse, I can even rev it sitting still and not cause it to blow no matter how much or how long I do it.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:36 AM
Immortal

Are you still getting a heater code? It could very well be the fuel pump going bad. There's a number of things EFI feeds, mainly the pump and O2 sensor heaters.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

I think when it pops the fuse it resets the ECU, it doesnt immediately throw a code for heater circuit, if I unplug all 4 02 sensors the car will still run right? The fuel pump on the IS is accessible through the inside of the car right? is that the hump behind the ski shoot or is it under the back seat?
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is300wanted View Post
I think when it pops the fuse it resets the ECU, it doesnt immediately throw a code for heater circuit, if I unplug all 4 02 sensors the car will still run right? The fuel pump on the IS is accessible through the inside of the car right? is that the hump behind the ski shoot or is it under the back seat?
The car will run pretty poor when the car is cold if you disconnect the heater circuit EFI feeds. Heater circuits are only used during open loop to fool the ECU into thinking the car is up to operating temperature. You will obviously throw faults and CEL with no heaters, just an fyi. The fuel pump is underneath the rear seat. Here's a tutorial on how to access it. Make sure the connections are good at pump and at the FP resistor(on driver strut tower).

https://my.is/forums/f221/diy-walbro-...s-alot-409785/

Resistance of the FP(terminals 4 and 5 at pump connector) should read 0.2-3.0 ohms and resistor should read around 0.3-0.35 ohms.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Immortal

If your EFI fuse blows randomly, you will have to track the black/red wire. Check it at idle and shake the wiring i guess. When the ignition closes, EFI feeds the heater circuits, four vsv's, and fuel pump. You will have to check to ground. Remember you will read through the coils unless you disconnect all of them. Negative is switched by ECU.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Solved, it ended up being B1S1 02 sensor, its smashed up against my firewall due to the aftermarket header, it wasnt throwing a code because its wired into B2S1 at the ECU, but still plugged in so it had to run through the fuse, unplugged it and took it for a nice long drive with no blown fuse.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 AM
Immortal

Good find

I'd be willing it was a black heater wire that was grounding out and the reason why you're throwing a heater malfunction code for that sensor.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD

Last edited by jasonm4; 08-15-2012 at 04:59 AM.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Garage
Im having this same issue just wanted to know what you did to correct this problem?

'01 SY IS300 NA-T (Under Construction)
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLex01 View Post
Im having this same issue just wanted to know what you did to correct this problem?
Look at the posts above ya

His sensor return or ground wire was compromised or smashed because he had aftermarket headers and the location of B2S1 allowed the wires to chaff or ground out at the firewall and mess up his bank 2 signal. He says B1S1, but have a feeling he meant B2S1, the one that is mentioned up against the firewall and commonly becomes an issue with some aftermarket headers. Maybe your problem is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is300wanted
Solved, it ended up being B1S1 02 sensor, its smashed up against my firewall due to the aftermarket header, it wasnt throwing a code because its wired into B2S1 at the ECU, but still plugged in so it had to run through the fuse, unplugged it and took it for a nice long drive with no blown fuse.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 09:28 AM

same problem ..

I have been having the same problem. I changed the fuel pump, changed the fuse that was blown and the fuel pump relay. Im all out of ideas. Today ill be checking the crank position sensor.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 09:33 AM

Have the same problem. Changed the fuel pump, the 25a fuse, the fuel pump relay and still nothing. Only code the CEL gives me is a MAF code which was pretty dirty. Cleaned it and reconnected it. My next option is a crank position sensor. Running out of ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page