Lexus IS Forum banner

Burning Oil and misfires

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Blue.is300 
#1 ·
Hey all, this is my first time posting on my.is but I have come across a problem with my is300. I drive a mica pearl blue 2002 is300 5-speed with about 184k miles on it, I just recently bought that car about two months ago and don’t drive it too often. My main concern right now is the immense amount of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, as we know blue smoke means oil. It only really starts smoking on first start up of letting it sit for a couple days, it smokes for maybe 2 minutes then goes away but it leaves a very dense blue cloud that I see travel down the street. I have already changed the PCV valve and due to a oil leak I had the valve cover off and seals replaced. I also put brand new spark plugs in.
Now for the misfires, they are happening in cylinders 1,2, and 3 and are causing the traction control to be turned off. I have a feeling that the two problems could be linked somehow but I also think is could be gummed up fuel injectors or bad coil packs. If anyone has had any experience on either of these issues please let me know. Thanks

#2 ·
Usually blue smoke, ONLY on startup, points towards valvestem seals.

However, your next step is to perform at least a compression test, but a leakdown test would be much more valuable.

From the results of a leakdown test, you'll know what condition your cylinders are in, and specifically what is causing any leaks (rings, valve seats, etc).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.