Burn through brake calipers on is 250 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Burn through brake calipers on is 250

I have gone through 6 sets of brake calipers on my 2006 Lexus is250. Monroe has been doing replacements because of lifetime warranty but was wondering if there is a fundamental issue with sticking brake calipers on 2006 250is? Probably going to go to the dealer to check things out but wanted as much info as possible before going in there especially if this is a known problem.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey250350 View Post
I have gone through 6 sets of brake calipers on my 2006 Lexus is250. Monroe has been doing replacements because of lifetime warranty but was wondering if there is a fundamental issue with sticking brake calipers on 2006 250is? Probably going to go to the dealer to check things out but wanted as much info as possible before going in there especially if this is a known problem.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
Joe
Usually the issue stems from a pin or lubrication issue. Have you replaced the hardware and cleaned out the bracket well?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Yes all of it, an really lubricated. Monroe was trying to say it was the other side causing issue but couldn't explain why. Really felt they were just guessing.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey250350 View Post
Yes all of it, an really lubricated. Monroe was trying to say it was the other side causing issue but couldn't explain why. Really felt they were just guessing.
I think if you have done all new hardware and rotors. You maybe over driving the brakes. Witch means you may need to upgrade to larger rotors and calipers.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:24 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)

Maybe the Monroe parts are trash, and OEM would be better
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:22 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)

some info missing here. how many miles are you getting per set of pads? is this just front pads? rear pads? all 4? do you drive normally like you should? have you tried raising up the car and spinning the wheels to check for friction?

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Sorry this was going to the spam folder and I didn't see replies. Thank you all. I have fixed the spam folder issue.

It is only the rear pads and yes not an aggressive driver at all. My son has the car now but will send out follow up with the number of pads and calibers gone through and mileage. If I had to guess I would say 10,000 before worn.

Thanks to all and I will follow with info as soon as I get it. He is working right now

Joe
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going to pick up my next caliber tomorrow. I've been through several. They are just garbage. I Grease and lube mine every time I change the tires or rotate. And the calibers still freeze up often.

Last edited by calbeeze; 02-20-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

The problem is the brake line is bad on the inside and is not letting the fluid return.
Replace the flex line /hose to the problem calipers.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:11 AM

After thinking about it again. It is poor but all to common practice to pinch a brake line to limit fluid loss when changing a caliper. The technician has ruined the line by pinching it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:24 PM

After thinking about it again. It is poor but all to common practice to pinch a brake line to limit fluid loss when changing a caliper. The technician has ruined the line by pinching it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:50 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)

quickslilver, no where does the OP state he took it to a mechanic or that a mechanic pinched anything. dont jump to conclusions; just adds to confusion and back and forth.

with that being said. you should find out if your son replaced the rotors with the pads, or if he is just replacing pads (im assuming just pads since you are getting new pads from monroe). my daily needed new rear pads and rotors because the PO (my parents) only bothered to replace the pads (and not the rotors). well, the 'new' pads my father installed lasted less than 6 mos. i am assuming it is because he did not inspect the rotor visually for burrs, obstructions, or uneven wear (just the thickness). ive since replaced with new rotors and pads and the issue has gone away. if you have a bunk rotor, no amount of new pads is going to fix this issue.

again, also jack up the rear car with the wheel/tire still on and roll it (both sides). do you feel resistance? if so, figure out where its coming from. it may be a part of your issue(s).

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 SolarYellow View Post
Usually the issue stems from a pin or lubrication issue. Have you replaced the hardware and cleaned out the bracket well?
I had the 2003 IS300 with Standard Transmission. I drove in los Angeles traffic 60 miles a day. I never used the brakes. I was told after about 80,000 miles my brakes were at 95% by the Lexus Dealer. One day I did use the brake and felt a slight pulse to the left in the steering wheel. I could make it do it sometimes. The Dealer checked it out and reported the front caliper and frames were froze together. Lexus replaced the calipers, frames under warranty.

So I agree, have the brakes torn down, cleaned, lubed and re install.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooohoppy View Post
quickslilver, no where does the OP state he took it to a mechanic or that a mechanic pinched anything. dont jump to conclusions; just adds to confusion and back and forth.

again, also jack up the rear car with the wheel/tire still on and roll it (both sides). do you feel resistance? if so, figure out where its coming from. it may be a part of your issue(s).
First thing, my double post was from a service issue.
I think you misunderstand the issue. Joe is replacing calipers and his question is why is it nessary to keep doing this.
He plainly stated he went to a brake professional “Monroe”. I offered not only a solution but a probable cause.
I do auto service for a living and I feel my advice was far more relevant than your advise of how to diagnose a problem he already knows he has. He knows his calipers are dragging and ruining the brake system parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page