5 Speed and clutch sticking (CDD) - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

5 Speed and clutch sticking (CDD)

Hey guys I have had my car for 3 weeks (20kmiles) and have been playing pretty rough with it. There has been two times when Ive been getting on it and the clutch has stuck half way and ive had to let off on the gas slam it down and then it will get going again.

Now I searched and read if anyone else had this problem. Seems that it is a built in feature so people are running around dumping the clutch ?
Is it worth removing the CDD? Does anyone have a step by step process for this?
Not sure if i should do this or just try to learn the limitations of how much I can rag on my car Another thing, this seems kind of dangerous, lets say i pull out into traffic with intention of letting loose on the ride and this CDD kicks in and im a sitting duck?
Can someone fill me in a little more on this?

These are the resources i have used to get my info thus far.

http://www.is300.net/modules.php?nam...=sticky+clutch
http://www.is300.net/modules.php?nam...=sticky+clutch
http://www.is300.net/modules.php?nam...ac454c99192375
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Addict

I have experienced the CDD and it's a "Lexus" type of idea to make the car "Lexus-like" and smooth shifting. I know sometimes the clutch will hang about 70% of the way out for a second (like you feel a little hang in the pedal when you lift your foot up)... but I don't believe it should be sticking as you are describing. I'd have that checked out. And the dangerous traffic thing.... again, I'd have it checked out - to my knowledge it's not supposed to "stick" like that. That's unsafe. :o

'03 IS - onyx (sold)
'03 4Runner - blue - Ltd V8 4x4
'07 VW GLI 6spd - silver
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm

Yeah it will stay like half way for like at least a second or two.
Its happened twice.
Then i have to either slam it down or try popping it up by putting my left foot under it and lifting up. I guess what the CDD is doing is not as noticable as what i am describing?
Thanks for your input...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Extremist

I completed this mod a long time ago (DEC 2002) and have not experienced any negative effects. What you described is exactly what this mod fixes. Here is some light reading. My post also includes pictures of all the components (bleeding the system)...

http://www.is300.net/modules.php?nam...&highlight=CDD

2002 IS300 (sold) --> 573whp on 93 pump :::: 749whp on C16

2006 IS350 (current)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man

Wow nice article, This is my third manual that I have owned so I know that this mod will make my IS feel a lot better then it does right now. I am very excited about doing this but pretty scared about all the warranty void talk.

Anyways my question is answered thanks a lot!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 06:18 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefisher
I have experienced the CDD and it's a "Lexus" type of idea to make the car "Lexus-like" and smooth shifting. I know sometimes the clutch will hang about 70% of the way out for a second (like you feel a little hang in the pedal when you lift your foot up)... but I don't believe it should be sticking as you are describing. I'd have that checked out. And the dangerous traffic thing.... again, I'd have it checked out - to my knowledge it's not supposed to "stick" like that. That's unsafe. :o

I had this same issue... Check the hood release cable, mine was in the way of the clutch pedal and not letting the pedal all the way back up.

Martin

'04 GGP IS300 MT
SRT Intake | Greddy EVO | Tanabe GF210 springs on Tokico HP shocks | Hotchkis Sways | Teck Grounding Kit | JIC front STB | Tanabe rear STB | PLP GII Short Shift | UGO roof spoiler | Tom's CF eye lids | JDM Altezza Grill - Sportdesign Style
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Patriot

I had a similar experience when dropping it into 2nd to take a corner. After I lifted off the clutch and jumped on the gas, the clutch didn't disegage completely and I ended up getting a nasty smell. I had to let off the gas so that the clutch could slowly disengage. I just recently did the CDD mod with a couple of other members on this board. It took very little time to completely do everything. 15-20 minutes should be all you need. Now the clutch engagement/disengagement is so much more responsive and predictable. It's also simple to reverse the process so you shouldn't worry too much about the warranty issues.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Lurker

I too had a similar experience where my clutch did not release until i kicked it up with my left foot. I too had the nasty smell and decided to take it to the dealership the same day. Apparently lexus has had to deal with this type of thing on many occasions. I told the service manager my story and within 5 minutes he diagnosed that I needed a new clutch and flywheel which fortunately Lexus replaced free of charge. I don't know if this is the exact same thing that happened to you, but just something to think about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page