1Likes
  • 1 Post By rmorita

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

2001 Lexus IS300 bogging issue

Hey everyone I know there is a couple threads already on this topic already. But I just needed some info For some help. I have a 2001 Lexus IS300 bone stock and my issue is my car tends to bog at low rpms (mainly when my car is fully warm) for example: when I’m at a full complete stop at a red light I ease into the throttle and around 1500 2k rpms my car likes to bog out like it’s about to die. It’s died on me twice so far and occasionally when I let off the throttle and the rpms drop it’ll bog as well. I got the car back in March with 140k now has 148k. I changed the spark plugs to Bosch double iridium, not the wires or coils, I got a new OEM DENSO maf sensor. And the car is still acting up with the same issue. Any other questions you need to help assist meme with my problem or knowledge you all have would be very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Any codes at all? Any way to catalog the OBD2 sensor values when it happens? Does it pop in the exhaust or is it a “clean bog”? If you floor it does it still have any power or does that make it worse?

Brian

2006 BMW 330i - 6spd, Sport

2001 Lexus IS300 - Auburn Sky Pearl (233k miles)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had the same issue, after doing almost everything you can think of it was the injectors. We tried using eBay injectors in the beginning because this was a salvaged project car and found out the hard way that they are crap. We ended up spending over a month troubleshooting because they were also faulty. We ended up getting the originals rebuilt and installed. Now it runs like a new car.

This might not be your issue but consider it. It may be worth a try after you do all your typical sensor cleaning / check and wire checks.
Matt K likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_TII View Post
Any codes at all? Any way to catalog the OBD2 sensor values when it happens? Does it pop in the exhaust or is it a “clean bog”? If you floor it does it still have any power or does that make it worse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorita View Post
I had the same issue, after doing almost everything you can think of it was the injectors. We tried using eBay injectors in the beginning because this was a salvaged project car and found out the hard way that they are crap. We ended up spending over a month troubleshooting because they were also faulty. We ended up getting the originals rebuilt and installed. Now it runs like a new car.

This might not be your issue but consider it. It may be worth a try after you do all your typical sensor cleaning / check and wire checks.
Sorry for the little late reply been busy and messing with the car. I don’t have any check engine lights on at all anymore I recently had a bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor on and got that fixed figuring that would possibly fix my issue but it didn’t. I do have a pretty nasty exhaust leak sounds like it’s from the y pipe maybe mid pipe. My mechanic claims that could be the issue. I didn’t think about fuel injectors but thank you for that input I’ll definitely keep that in mind.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_TII View Post
And it doesn’t really pop in the exhaust it’s more like a clean bog. And yes let’s say for example my car is hesitating or starting to bog once I let off the throttle to come to a stop. If I give it a generous amount of gas it still feels like it has all power completely and no more bogging issue till I let off the throttle again.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)

I would look at the TPS and fuel pressure.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 SolarYellow View Post
I would look at the TPS and fuel pressure.
Will do I was meaning to check that this weekend. also did a lot of research lately and possibly coming to the conclusion that it may be my (idle air control valve). Because when I drive it and come to a stop I have to sometimes Hold down the break while slowly easing in the throttle to keep it from dying.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Update: got a whole new throttle body off of a part out is300 along with the idle air control valve and throttle position sensor.

So now I have changed
Bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor
Spark plugs (new)
Spark plug wires (new)
Coil packs (new)
Maf sensor (new)
Throttle body (used)
Idle air control valve (used)
Throttle position sensor (used)

Car runs smoother but I’m still receiving the bogging of my engine after it’s fully warm. It never bogs when my car is just now started up but after a while of driving it to get the car warmed up it continues with the bog or hesitation or surge once I let off the throttle to come to a stop or am slowly easing in the throttle coming from a dead stop.

Things I haven’t checked yet are my fuel injectors, fuel pump, and fuel filter. Any other kinda help of direction I should take next would be greatly appreciated.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 06:24 AM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)

Fuel pressure and injectors would be the next step.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:07 AM
Addict

Location: 87.9 mi – about 1 hour 42 mins from east parking lot
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

have you checked fuel resistor? is the connection loose? is it dead? mine was loose. once plugged in, it fired up and idled without issue.

sorry if this has been mentioned, search function is FUBAR.

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:32 PM

Garage
I had a similar problem with my 2003 automatic trans IS300, sucker would drive normal on the highway and in town but when I came to a complete stop she would bog into low rpms like it wanted to go but couldn't. I searched and searched for answers, replaced the PCV valve and MAF sensor for $26. Problem solved, takes off at the light like she should. My PCV looked as if it had been rolled in black sawdust. It caught my eye bc it had an oil leak around the pink, deteriorating thread wrap.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:32 PM

Garage
I have a thread on this in my profile.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 PM

i had a very similar issue with the bogging at low rpm. cleaned me MAF, throttle body and changed my air filter and it went away. If it continued i was going to look at my fuel injectors as well. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page