Lexus IS Forum banner

1st gen reliability vs 2nd, 3rd gen

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  clt-is300 
#1 ·
I have an 01 is300, automatic, now with 210,000kms (130,000mi)
I bought the car with about 140,000kms on it, and the last 60,000km have been almost 100% trouble free. I did need to change one coil pack. But aside from regular oil changes, I've done nothing to the car.

I bought the car because I know Toyota to be one of the, if not the most reliable of all brands of manufacture. I've owned many vehicles and the Toyotas I've had have always been bullet proof, and easy to work on.

With the cars mileage and age climbing, even though I'm sure there are many miles left to drive, and the car is operating perfectly, I'm starting to contemplate what my next car will be.

I like the second gen is250/350 and really like the looks of the third generation. My only concern is as cars get more advanced and make drastic changes, sometimes the changes aren't for the better. How is the reliability of the second and third gen? I know people say they love them, and they are really nice to drive etc, but what about long term? I want to hear from the people that have 200 or even 300,000kms on them. Are they every bit as reliable as the first gen? I love the inline 6cyl in the is300. Bullet proof, smooth, easy to work on, and reliable. How are the v6s?

Anyhow, if you've got a story about how reliable, or unreliable your is250/350 has been, please share!

See less See more
#2 ·
I know this thread is years old, but... The 2003 IS 300 actually is bullet proof, but good luck finding one with under 140,00 miles on it.. I'm sure they will go to over 225,000 easily. Mine has 163,000 miles on it, and I never worried once about it leaving me stranded or failing an emission test. (and it never did). Still a daily driver. Never a check engine light, never a stall, never a stutter, just simply perfect. Toyota has perfected their V6 and this 3.0 VVTI engine is great, and all of the electrical that went with it. So, if you can find a used one that was taken care of (premium gas always/fluid changes/all syn oil changes) get it!

#3 ·
I have a 2006 is 350 that was bought with 149,000 miles on it with only one owner and zero issues with the car when checked by my local mechanic. My mechanic also told me the 3.5L V6’s in the IS350 models is much more reliable than the different engineered 2.5L V6 in the IS250 models. My current ‘06 is350 has 231,000 miles on it and I drive it every single day, lots of miles. Only major issues ever was the alternator and basic brake/rotor wear over time. Absolutely timeless car and was ahead of it’s time no doubt. Will be a Lexus owner for life because of the proven reliability with my IS350. Still drive it on long trips and shows no sign of trouble (knock on wood). Great engineered car and engine, perfect vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.