User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

'06 IS350 motor mounts (video)

I've started having occasional hard shifts, and there is some vibration when cruising down the highway. Not a lot of vibration, just enough to sometimes rattle the coffee cup a little in the center console.

So I'm wondering about the motor mounts and transmission mount.

Here's a video of powerbraking it in drive, reving to about 2,000 RPMs. The engine moves a little more than I would have expected, but I don't know if this is an abnormal amount.

Any experts care to comment?

Its a 2006 IS350, 144,000 miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Follower

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

if you suspect the mounts - take a peak at them and see if the rubber is rotted/torn. at 144k miles its not unheard of for the mounts to be shot.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

I ended up not replacing the two front engine mounts.

Crawling under it, I was surprised how much I could shake the rear of the transmission and the driveshaft at the center support bearing. The rubber in the both the transmission mount and the center bearing looked great though.

So I replaced the transmission mount and center support bearing. Even after removing them, the rubber looked great.

Since replacing them, the coffee cup has not rattled at all. I haven't noticed a hard shift either, but that one was very intermittent anyway.

So just an FYI - even if the rubber looks great, if you can shake the transmission and drive shaft, replacement will help.

BTW, from what I've read, there are a lot of warnings about the low budget engine/transmission/carrier bearings. They're either too hard and transmit vibration, or they're too soft and break quickly. So I went with OEM transmission mount (around $45 online), and I got an SKF drive shaft bearing from RockAuto.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:11 PM

Did you do this by yourself If so do you have a video on how to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page