04 IS300 Lost Keys - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

04 IS300 Lost Keys

I recently lost my only key for my IS300, and the Lexus dealer quoted $900 to get everything replaced. I have done some research but have found mixed responses as to whether its possible to outsource any of the work. Are there any cheaper options? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:02 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmdes1 View Post
I recently lost my only key for my IS300, and the Lexus dealer quoted $900 to get everything replaced. I have done some research but have found mixed responses as to whether its possible to outsource any of the work. Are there any cheaper options? Any help would be appreciated.
When I lost my key at work, I didn't leave until I found it 2 hours later, in the middle of a busy 7 lane road I had ran across during lunch. I recommend finding the key lol.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:30 PM
Loyalist

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmdes1 View Post
That is because the new keys and ECU. Plus install and programing. You could buy used and take your chances. Or just bite the bullet and have it done with spares.

Careful & Consistent

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:43 PM
Follower

Quoted: 39 Post(s)

I lost my only master key this winter while shoveling snow. I spent 12 hours outside with a metal detector and also sifted every inch of snow on 1/4 acre of yard through a wood box with 1/4 chicken wire. I didn't find the key.

Ended up calling ~20 local lock smiths until I found a reasonable price, they were pretty much all around ~300-400. The one I chose was able to come to my house, cut the new key, program the chip and the fob to the car (which also rendered the previous key unusable). He did that for my master and also cut me a valet key. Used a generic blank with fob housing (typical ebay key and blank aftermarket fob). 2 keys, 1 fob internals, and full programming for $270. Probably could have got it done cheaper if I bought the blanks myself, I'm sure I paid a mark up. Luckily I had a blade from a previous broken master that he was able to use to cut the new keys but I think they can still create a new one without a copy it just costs more.

Don't go to the stealership if you don't have to.

NA Supra Clutch & Flywheel // Dezod Green Headers // BC 264 Cams // Titan V2 Cam Gear // JOEZ Intake
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

So you can do this cheaper if you have access to Toyota Techstream software. For ~$50 there are vendors online who will sell a key and cut it to your keycode. Keycode can come from VIN or is stamped on passenger door lock I believe. You then use the software to program the key to your car. This allows you to make a new master if needed also.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:57 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 88 Post(s)

This outfit on eBay supplies a new key blank programmed to your ECU for $129. You need to ship them your ECU. They have 100% feedback and over 1000 feedbacks, so that seems pretty legit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECU-Compute...4AAOSw87JcRJIA

When they ship your ECU and key back to you, you'll need to have a local locksmith physically cut the key to fit your lock.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i lost my keys for my is300 here in chicago a few years ago. called a downtown dealer... $120. then i said, i want 2 - guys says sure that's $240... wtf!

so i get POed, call a dealer in the burbs. he says, ok that'll be shop labor rate, $70/hr (yes a few years ago - 5 i think) and its small job, takes maybe 20-30 min so $35. i say great i need two. he says same price, we just put all the keys on the dashboard when the programmer is hooked up, takes no longer... great i say ill be there.

then he says - BUT... you gotta bring clear title, and state issues photo ID. no prob. but its funny... the $240 no questions asked guy didn't care about ID

draw your own conclusions.

and shop around if you are able - there are SOME reasonable places out there, if you're lucky enough to live in a place with choices.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 PM

Did you find the key in the spring?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:43 PM

Sewell Lexus in Dallas will cut keys and ship them to you. They just need a copy of your ID and Registration. They use the VIN number to determine the keycode. All OEM shells, cut with OEM equipment. I broke an IS300 keyshell a few years ago and they made a replacement for a fraction of what local dealers charge (the local dealer said it was below his cost for keys from the US Lexus supply chain and he would use Sewell to cut keys for him from that point on). The replacement key worked perfectly.

rfideng

308k miles and it's still running...

Intensa Blue 2003 IS300
Chrome Altezza Grill
TRD (AFE) Air Filter
DRLs Off
Clear Bra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page