User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

When replacing the fuel tank over fill check valve I got the big hose off with some work but after replacing the valve I went to put the large hose back on I figured it would slip right back on but for the life of me I could not get the teeth back over the F'ng ridge. I ended up breaking one side in the process, the other side is clipped on. So my question.. what is the larger hose exactly? It seems like the hose just seats up against the valve nozzle. Does this need to be a tight seal? The clip on the other side is holding it pretty well, it's not going anywhere. Do I need to worry about it being a tight seal?
I figured if it was supposed to be an air tight seal it would be like the smaller hose that fits tightly into the smaller valve nozzle with the hose clip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think getting it back together as well as you can will be good enough. I remember when I was putting everything back together that I bent a tab on one side and I was afraid I had broken it entirely. I shoved the hose as far onto the nipple as I could and at least one side engaged. The other side might have as well, but I kinda doubt it. I don't know what the hose is for specifically, but I did this fix more than three and a half years ago and I haven't had another problem with it since. In fact, I haven't had the CEL come on at all since this issue was fixed.

Maybe someone else has better information about what it is or how secure it needs to be. If not, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Just picked up an 02 w 128K. Had p0440 and p0442 codes. smelled gas back of car during warm late afternoon. Glad this post is here. Great info. Went to Junkyard and practiced cutting the hole there. removed the metal chuck and used as template for my car (brought sharpe and marked critical areas on template). drilled single hole w larger bit closest to drivers seat. Used tin snips to cut three sides and peeled it back toward the trunk. I cut more into the hump between the seats so I could access the dredded larger hose (glad I did). Removed small hose. Then removed valve from tank. pulled on it to get to larger clip. Used two small slotted screw drivers (one for each snap on connector). Stuck the drivers into the connector to release both lock features and it pulled right out leaving the drivers in place as I pulled. Took 15 min to remove and reinstall valve once hole was open.

I used some sheet metal and cut a 7"x7" "L" about 2-3" wide. I bolted that on two sides of the new access hole on the underside of the car. Bent the access flap back over and used sheet metal screws to secure it in place. Just used some tar HVAC tacy putty to seal up the edges of the access hole. This extra metal restored the rigidity of the hump area. I figured the tar putty will give upon movement and maintain seal.

Great post!!!

Was a plastics engineer. Looked for weld line or crack in check valve w jewelers glass (what we do to root cause failures in the industry). I couldn't find it. The metal rim on the tank side of the doughnut seal had surface corrosion. I'm thinking mine was leaking at the seal.

No more fuel smell. Only a few hundred miles. Code wouldn't throw until I racked up about 600-800 miles. So I'm in a wait and see mode.

post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know I’m bringing back an old thread but going through the process in my 01 IS300 now. I got the old valve and the new unit in. I am struggling to get the bigger hose with plastic connector onto the tube. Anyone run into this and have any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page