Lexus IS Forum banner

For those that sold their turbo IS, why?

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  blkdout 
#1 ·
I've seen in a few signatures where someone used to own a turbo IS300. I have been curious to know what some reasons are as to why they would sell it. This includes those that are thinking about it.

I have had the same thoughts as well. Coming from an MR2, I miss the tossable feel and how it was more like a well fitting glove, but sacrifices obviously have to be made as you can't have everything.

However, it's a damn unique car you have. An early 2000's sedan that'll hold it's own and more against almost every car on the road.

If you sold if for a Supra, no need for an explanation.

#2 · (Edited)
don't plan on selling mine but if I had to guess, it would be upkeep! 3,000 mile oil changes, constant checkups, etc.. Lots of time still needs to be dedicated even after the job is done! Not to mention, one thing always leads to another. Add power: need to stop, handle, grip...

Most of the turbo IS's were also built by guys who can now simply afford a better car. Great mechanics, engineers and tuners have left valuable information here for future generations and minds like that get bored. They just move on to bigger, better things. i.e.: take on the next challenge! Most of the time the IS wasn't their first challenge either. It's like working your way up from the shop floor.

...just some random thoughts :)

#3 ·
I've seen some sold even before they were finished, with money to put down payment on another car. One guy I know sold it for a mortgage payment. Some guys get tired of the game and just want to drive a 100hp civic and only ever put gas in the tank. Which, to the point, a supremely modified IS will never simply be an 'only add gas to the tank' kind of project... but this is still a great platform to make reliable if you do it right. My old Aristo took me to work every day for 3 years until it was rear ended. There's no reason the IS wouldn't do the same if I wanted to. Especially compared to one of my earlier project cars (an Eagle Talon AWD), a built up IS would be equivalent to a 100hp civic.

You can avoid a lot of project pitfalls by picking the right parts from the start, and I think a lot of guys fail to do that. I won't use certain regulators, pumps, ECUs, injectors, fittings, etc. etc. because I already know they will just cause me a problem in the near future.

In the past, I've sold other project cars to try a different platform. i.e. I built up a FWD but wanted RWD. Or didn't like the 4 cylinder lack of torque, so wanted more displacement, or had reliability issues (*cough* the DSM)...
But in the case of the IS, it fits all I could want for a modified vehicle for me - bulletproof 2JZ, V160 (or V160 capable at least), 4 doors, will have more power than most of the cars on the road around here, handle great, RWD, decent brakes, etc..

Who really knows, I also own an AWD and a FWD, so I'm hoping my need to try a different project will be kept to a minimum. I have many more ideas for the IS now, so hopefully I can try some of those out over time.

#4 ·
There IDIOTS !!!! LOL JOKE, It comes down that they simply get an IS and is not a Honda it takes time, money and dedication to maintain the car n, another thing a lot of member buy ebay shit and take short cuts when there modifiend the car and like it was said one thing leads to the other ...I have blown 2 2jz ge engines taking shortcuts slapping and ebay turbo and boosting i have made many mistakes but i have learned and i know i have 500 hp is 300 thats just as reliable as my 100 hp 1999 honda civic. Ill tell you this I have a great job but ill tell you this my IS 300 is dying with me ... I told my wife to put that car underground with me...No one will ever give me the time and money i have put into the car ...plus the great expiriences of road racing and killing mustangs and v8 priceless.....I can always turn the boost but 500 is my magic number for reliability and power .....

#6 ·
i think often peoples priorities change. A hot rod lexus might not stay a priority and the further down the list it goes, the more problems arise and its just a PITA at some point. perhaps people move on to better cars or perhaps just other hobbies. new cars are not exactly tuner friendly - sort of a shame really.

#9 ·
I have to disagree, I think we live in a time of some of the fastest cars mainly because new cars are so tunable. Even cars from the factory stock or with small bolt ons are making great numbers with tunes.

Now if we are talking lexus I agree but honestly what Lexus's are out there that are even worth tuning?

#10 ·
I think we live in a time where gasoline engines are showing their potential simply because they have to. Last ditch sales effort. We now have access to a 700hp, 200mph, stock, 4 door car sitting on a Dodge dealer lot. Is it tuneable? Does it have to be? The market is trying to create cars that doesn't need tuners. Same sad story with the ever awesome Pontiac G8. It's like "last call" for powerful cars that aren't working with todays technology.

Tuneability is not in the end users hands anymore. It's in the manufacturers. Take a new GTR for example... The double driveline, transaxle needs rebuilt if you want to add any kind of power. Sure, there are plenty of 1000hp GTR engines out there but I guarantee each one of their drivetrains has been to Jack's Transmission for an upgrade. Tuners can't upgrade a sophisticated driveline like that!

We are given engines and potentially capable drivelines. What do we do with the rest? Probe the computer with a multimeter? The tuners job is getting harder and harder... on purpose if you ask me.

#13 ·
That's an interesting point of view, but, I'm not sure how you're coming to those conclusions. Cars are fast these days because of technology, and the market wants it too. Yes, the Hellcat is tunable, people have modified them and tuned them already using aftermarket software on the stock computer. What about the G8? It's basically the same technology as the Hellcat engine without a supercharger. You can tune and modify both cars almost in the same manner. It's up to the customer to decide if they want more power. A stock Hellcat may be plenty for the owner of that car, power to them if that's what they want, and well, if they want more they can pay for it. If you're talking about "last call" because you think electric will take over, you'll probably eventually be right, the Tesla's are pretty neat. But it'll be a while before that happens, and I'm not against the changeover to another type of engine, but there's still going to be some time for gasoline engines.

What do you mean it's out of the tuner's hands? Tuners/builders have always made what they could and outsourced the parts they couldn't do in house, or parts that are just more cost effective to do that way, what's the big deal with that? It's not cost effective to do everything yourself most of the time. But, I mean, the GTR is a heavy car, and it's pretty fast stock, but of course it's going to need stronger, aftermarket parts if power out put is raised by 3x, 4x, 5x or more. That goes for every car, regarding engine internals or driveline components. Unless you're one of those few ultra in house manufactures like McLaren, you're going to be buying the correct parts from different vendors and installing them in a build (and I'm sure they have to get parts from other people too, everyone does). Who would want to try and build pistons for their 2J when you can just buy bad ass ones from JE or whoever already? This is how it's always been. Well, except for the old days, but that was a while ago. As long as there is a market for it the aftermarket won't go away. And cars are getting quick now. 2000WHP cars you can drive on the street are... kinda common now. Stock cars running 10's or even 9's happen now, it's insane, and I love it!

Tuning is not an issue on most applications, again, as long as there is a market for it a company will invest to create some type of system for it, there are plenty even for the GTR now, the Motec being one of the leaders in that, but there's Syvecs or heck you could even use a Cobb to flash the stock computer, which is fine for most customers and it's not all that expensive either. That's just an example of one application but of course there are cars like the ISF that no one has been able to tune, and that's because, yes, it is complicated, but I promise if Enough people needed it a company would invest and figure it out, and then sell it. That's what I think about it anyways.

Street cars are faster than they have ever been.

#12 ·
The f's are mostly a fail compared to the their competition and are not going to gain much from boltons where most other competitor cars are FI and do much better.

In my opinion i dont think gasoline engines are on their last leg, they are pushing cars father and farther because technology and competitors are doing so. I am not really talking 1000hp cars, but you can bet their are 10X the amount of cars with that power on the road today as vs 10yrs ago. Thats due to the cars coming out with more power then before and therefore easier to make more power... to me "tune".
i guess well agree to disagree but i think we live in a time where almost any car manufacturer has a car that can be tuned to make great numbers compared to the past. It might be harder to crack the ECU code but that doesnt matter as the general joe schmoe was never probing around with a computer trying to tune timing fuel. They bring it to a tuner. Even more so now a days we have companies like cobb which actually put the tuning capabilities back in your hands with very little guess work. They have spread across a wide range of manufacturers as well

#14 ·
Well, It's an opinion based on a personal theory. I don't think it's a big deal and, frankly, I don't care that much about it.

It's just funny how cars, in their stock form, are getting faster and faster when affordable electric power is right around the corner. Not to mention, manufactures are attempting to push copyright laws to make modifying their computers illegal.

#19 ·
Not to mention, manufactures are attempting to push copyright laws to make modifying their computers illegal.
Fuckin' IP law... what a pile of... ah fuck it... if you need IP law to have an advantage over another manufacturer... you're just a lame ass manufacturer to begin with... IP law is for little bitches scared of a little competition... everyone's so in a hurry to run to big daddy government for protection from competition... it's such a sad state this country is in when it comes to laws and regulations... massive piles of horseshit, and it all smells of D.C. politicians... this is why people like edison should have been shunned out of business, and people like Nikola Tesla end up going nuts and or being driven into obscurity...

Reactions: blkdout
#17 ·
Fu## New cars There is nothing more beatiful than a modded supra or is300 build the right way ....Stop fooling yourself guys I have a daughter and yes priorities have changed but not my car !!!!! So stop being all sentimental and speaking all this non sense If you really like the car and care about you wouldnt get rid of it..... I dont give shit what you guys say if you really like the car you will never get rid of it ....You guys change cars because you want something new or fit in with the trends dont say is because priorities change lol is because how you feel about the car changes ..... There is not a better feeling in this world than pulling to a ZR! corvetter or Lamborghini and smoking it in your IS 300 or supra ... Stop it guys the only car I would change for my IS 300 is a SUPRA ....By the way this comment is directed towards no one ...

#18 ·
I only thought about selling mine 2 months ago because my Florist business has picked up significantly and I wanted to trade it in for an rx350 or 450h. I wanted a lexus suv that was all wheel drive because at the end of the day business is the most important thing for me now. Some how I have managed to try to keep my IS longer tho. I just cant get rid of it. Its an SRT stage updated 3 with a v161 puttin down 450WHP. Its a thrill to drive and have no issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.