Rick's 3.4 Stroker IS - Page 7 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

this thing has more history than a 92 civic hatch from so cal for sale on honda-tech

nice car..and nice patience running through the bugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Well, The motor's coming out. The oil burning/blowby problem returned, and there's something going on in the valvetrain.

The blowby problem almost has to be oil control. Cylinder bores were checked from the machine shop and found to be perfectly within the piston maker's spec - the supplied rings or their piston ring groove fit are probably the culprit. During assembly the rings did not have the ususal free fit in the pistons - they would go into the grooves and compress OK, but did not rotate freely like they should - and I decided to go ahead with it anyway. Like any other time I've decided to take a short cut, this rose up to bite. Never time to do it right, always time to do it over. Seems like at my age I should have this lesson down pat.

I have also found that the rear (unused by me) cam sensor paddle on the intake cam broken off and God knows where it landed -

I'll be a pullin' the engine this weekend and not happy about it. Like always, though, the IS will be back better than ever.

Rick Bowers
"Speed Costs - How fast do you want to spend?"
'02 GGP L-Tuned IS300
3.4 GE Stroker/BW EFR9180/MS3Pro/J&S/V160/Tilton/Supra 3:13/Tein/HRE
post #93 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Follower

That sucks. Sorry to hear about the engine issue. Hopefully this thing can put down some awesome numbers after your done with it.

01 GGP- 200,000+ miles daily
93 anthracite Supra- project car

post #94 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Follower

Good luck on the rebuild, the car is definitely in prime condition on the outside, you deserve a good motor.

'03 G sedan
post #95 of 175 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Finally got back to the car after some business travel and taking care of some neglected household tasks - had to get the right mental attitude before diving in again.

Compression and leakdown tests indicate bad ring seal - compression varies from 125-160 and some cylinders's leakage is as much as 25%. Engine has to come out. With that established, I ran some tests to make sure the newly fixed motor (when it IS newly fixed) would start/run with no issues -

Pulled the plugs and they are really black - While checking timing (still good) and the coils for spark, noticed raw gas shooting out the spark plug holes! Bad Aeromotive regulator is allowing leakage into the manifold from the reference port. OK, that explains the rich condition - and maybe the bad ring seal. I am now officially worried about the whole bottom end, but really don't think that there has been very much gasoline dilution of the oil , as oil level has not risen significantly, and no gas smell in the oil. The car runs so badly with a leaking regulator that I'm sure there has been very little running time in that condition, but I'm now anxious to get the engine out and torn down to asses damage.

As if that isn't enough, I continued a thorough test of the EMS. After pulling the fuel pumps' power and checking coils, found that coils for cylinders 3 and 5 are not firing. Coils are not the issue as swapping with known good coils is no help. The LS truck coils (even the ones swapped from bad to good channels) are still producing angry purple sparks. Scoping directly on the Haltech harness shows no signal on the bad ignition channels - Rebooting the ECU and reloading maps and firmware no help. Removed the J&S from the circuit and still no help. So ECU goes to Haltech for repair. That probably explains a rather rough time I had with initial setup and tuning. I think my PS2000 was a little wonky from the beginning.

The devil car is certainly living up to its reputation, but it will not beat me.

Updates coming.

Rick Bowers
'02 GGP L-Tuned IS300
post #96 of 175 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think this car has finally met its match
post #97 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Well, the A/C is fixed and now it keeps the belt on - The turbo oil restricter (homemade from a .023" MIG tip screwed into an AN fitting, then filed down) is installed and no more oil blowing from the turbo, although there is still some oil smoke in the exhaust that I hope will be gone after rings have worn in...Idle and free-rev tuning resumed, and I find that the smoother I get the idle, the quieter my Tilton clutch's rattle becomes. That noise level is very tolerable now - it had me concerned initially. My LS2 truck coils -on plugs- working well. Before I can even pull out of the garage it overheats and the radiator overflow tube starts gushing. Damn electric fan has failed and put a nice mark on my brand new Koyo radiator. I've ordered a new Flex-a-Lite dual fan - should be here this afternoon.

Very frustrating - I have limited time to work on this thing and keep having stupid things to fix.

Delayed gratification sucks.
Hey speeder
Which is you model flex-a-lite dual fan fit a radiator koyo?
S-Blade low profile 410 or 420 or 425?

Thanks
post #98 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

I used the 420 -S-blade , puller, no thermostat. (used the stock fan control system). Had to make some simple aluminum brackets to mount this to the Koyo radiator - I hate those through the core straps.

-Rick

Rick Bowers
'02 GGP L-Tuned IS300
post #99 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

Any video's of this monster? I would love to see it...

I'M BACK!!! 2001 GGP - VERTEX - XXR - TEIN COILS
SOLD
2003 L-tuned Black Onyx
Toyomoto 67mm turbo, V-160 6spd, Dezod AEM, BurnEblue's Custom FFIM, 1200cc's, Spearco FMIC, Aeromotive FPR, Corbeau A4 seats, Bilstein Struts w/Eibach Springs

4 Brothers = 4 IS300's
post #100 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Videos will be produced when I finish redoing the engine and dyno it. I found that my Aeromotive FPR had developed a hole in the diaphagm and was shooting raw gas into the intake from the FPR reference port. I'm pretty sure the rings got trashed before I was aware of this particular problem. I was way too slow in suspecting a problem with fuel , as the pressure on the in-cockpit gauge was good, while my tune was getting inexplicably rich. Looks like what started as a small hole in the diaphragm grew progressively.

This happened back in September and I have not had the time to pull the engine (and am afraid of what the bearings and the stroker crank might look like due to oil dilution). Maybe that fear has caused me to procrastinate, too.

Looks as if I will get back to this pretty soon - If (God forbid) the crank is hosed I will put my old short block (gte rods/pistons) back in with the new worked head while making a decision on redoing the stroker.

Stay tuned. I'm down but by no means defeated.

Rick Bowers
'02 GGP L-Tuned IS300
post #101 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Frequenter

Rick, what was the outcome of this, as we are all having a discussion in the thread "Supra Coils".
https://my.is/forums/f114/supra-coils-368366/index7.html

These LS2 coils with wiring harness intrigues a few of us and we are looking for the input.- You seem like the man...

Doing a 2JZ-GTE swap into an IS300? Click here for the Swap Manual: https://my.is/forums/f114/2jz-gte-swa...rd-doc-431423/
-To be fair to everyone- This is the internet, and we are all different sources, so each source will probably have different answers, and I do know that there are some people out there who are complete idiots....

www.undergroundstreetcar.com
post #102 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Frequenter

Updates please Rick! Thank you !!!

Doing a 2JZ-GTE swap into an IS300? Click here for the Swap Manual: https://my.is/forums/f114/2jz-gte-swa...rd-doc-431423/
-To be fair to everyone- This is the internet, and we are all different sources, so each source will probably have different answers, and I do know that there are some people out there who are complete idiots....

www.undergroundstreetcar.com
post #103 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

The car has been sitting awaiting time to pull the engine and redo the rings. My retirement is coming up in July and the IS is top priority. Stay tuned!

Rick Bowers
'02 GGP L-Tuned IS300
post #104 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

I have my LS truck coil -on plug setup on two local drag racers' 2jZ engines and they seem at least equivalent to the Supra coils with DLI in performance.

Rick Bowers
'02 GGP L-Tuned IS300
post #105 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Follower

Sounds good! One of my favorite IS's! Hope to see it at the meet once again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page