This car has an extensive and varied history. More on that later.
Prior to late 2007, I had never noticed an IS300, didn't even know they existed. I was , however, a big fan of the 2JZ, having set up Electromotive EMS on a couple local 2J-powered race cars.
I run a small shop part-time, and adam/vinnygamz, hearing of me at the dragstrip, brought this car to me. Seems they had had various people working on it, and there were some odd things (to be polite) done to it that had to be corrected. The car didn't run - turned out to be a broken coolant temp sensor, likely damaged when the nice sheetmetal manifold was installed.
I was impressed with the cool parts on this car - Innovative Turbo T67, V160, Supra diff, HRE wheels, Tein coilovers with EFDC, GE motor with GTE rods/pistons,etc, etc. - Fell in love with the package when I got it going and after tweeking the tune to a reasonable state. Vinny was wanting to sell the car and I took it off him.
I steadily eliminated various kludges from the car, making it more reliable and and refined. Some of these were:
An Aeromotive A1000 inline pump mounted directly under the driver's seat, screaming away while pulling from only one tank. The nice PHR pump hanger had been stripped of its walbro and a direct pickup in the main tank had been rigged, also eliminating the jet valve to pull from the second tank. A pair of Walbros went in.
There was a horrible exhaust resonance at cruise -A really nasty sounding Borla muffler on rusty crush bent piping was replaced by two Magnaflow mufflers, one as a resonator, and all stainless 3" pipes.
The fuel lines were scary - I found a piece of aluminum hardline feeding the fuel rail feed that had a pinhole developing from rubbing on the chassis.
Lots of other minor stuff was fixed as time went by, and I was enjoying the car as I gradually brought it up to my standards.
I decided a bigger turbo was in order, and changed out my T67 for a Comp (nee Innovative) Turbo CT43-72 triple ball bearing unit, and found that even with a .84 hot side (compared to the .7 on the old one) the new big turbo had about the same spool as my old journal bearing T67, but with a nice increase in the top end hit.
One day while refining the tune for my bigger turbo, I shut the engine off the make some changes to the fuel tables. Did that and went to start the engine, and ...nothing. Shit, the engine is locked up, I say. Battery is good and starter grunting, but no rotation. I get the car towed home and begin the parts collection process for a new motor. I'll continue with the car history engine build next, but I have already posted my parts collection process here:
and my adventures getting it going here:
I'll continue documenting my mods in subsequent posts.