LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5ROY View Post
Well guy's I finally finished. I will be writing my review later because I'm at work. But if I had to say something right now it would be, WOW, is this tranny noisy!
can't wait to see the update! but are you sure it's the tranny that is making the noise? just curious, i haven't heard anything about it being noisy before.

and are you boosted? or planning to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Follower

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_is View Post
can't wait to see the update! but are you sure it's the tranny that is making the noise? just curious, i haven't heard anything about it being noisy before.

and are you boosted? or planning to be?
I am 100% sure that it is coming from the tranny. When I went for a ride in LO 21's car, his made a noticable noise also. It's not only noticable from the inside but also the outside. I think that LO 21's tranny after driving it a while reported that the noise was less noticable. We will have to see what he has to say about it.
My car is not boosted right now, I am in the middle of buying a house. I do though have a 2jzgte vvti waiting to go in .

2001 Lexus IS300- R154 w/LSD-2JZGTE VVTI-GT3788R (In the works!)
2012 Lexus CT200H F Sport
post #63 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Blue Devil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5ROY View Post
I am 100% sure that it is coming from the tranny. When I went for a ride in LO 21's car, his made a noticable noise also. It's not only noticable from the inside but also the outside. I think that LO 21's tranny after driving it a while reported that the noise was less noticable. We will have to see what he has to say about it.
My car is not boosted right now, I am in the middle of buying a house. I do though have a 2jzgte vvti waiting to go in .
yea at first it made some noise i definitely thought WTF. after a few days it became basically silent though. what does make noise though, and it's a known fact for all performance trannies, is if you put any one gear under load (i.e., you're in 3rd for example, you slow down a significant amount and without going into 2nd gear, you just stay in 3rd and start to accelerate again till the car builds up its RPMs again), it'll make a slight low droney kinda sound.

of course i could hear it when i was seeing how the car was driving after finishing the swap, but after installing the metal plate, the center console, and the shift boot, i dont hear ANYTHING anymore.
not to mention i have some dynamat xtreme i haven't put under there yet.

so i think your will quiet down once the clutch gets broken in so that the tranny wont sound like its making so much effort to get the car moving, if that makes any sense.

©2006 my.IS
IS300 '01 - Spectra Blue Mica | ELIXIR | SRT 2.75 Turbo | V161 6-speed | Volk GT-M | Tein CS |

IS F '12 - Ultrasonic Blue Mica | ISS Forged Exhaust | WALD Diffuser | Ventross Trunk | Lexon Roof Spoiler |

post #64 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Blue Devil

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Installer88 View Post
lo21 what did you do to make your shifter sit so low?
magic ;-)

©2006 my.IS
IS300 '01 - Spectra Blue Mica | ELIXIR | SRT 2.75 Turbo | V161 6-speed | Volk GT-M | Tein CS |

IS F '12 - Ultrasonic Blue Mica | ISS Forged Exhaust | WALD Diffuser | Ventross Trunk | Lexon Roof Spoiler |
post #65 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Blue Devil

Garage
thanks to Roy and my brainstorming, we came up with the following idea.

i didn't have enough shifter length to bend it bar enough forward and then straight up again to get it to the position/height i wanted. and not only that i wanted but that i needed so that i wouldnt hit the chrome ring in 2nd, 4th, and Reverse.
i also didn't wanna bend it to not change the shifting angle (i know A LOT of people say doing an S-type bend doesn't change the actual length of your throws, but if you do the math and figure it out geometrically, it does. we can have a math discussion whenever you'd like if you don't agree).
and lastly, i didn't wanna bend it because we would have had to heat it with a torch and it would have most likely melted all of the rubber insulation on the inside of the black piece.

so i cut the space between the pivot ball the the this rubber insulation piece in half. and we welded it to itself (towards the front of the car obviously)

the proportions aren't exact, but here's my 2 minute diagram to show how it ended up lowering the height, moving it forward enough to clear the ring, and keep my same throw length.
the red stripe is where we welded on either side, and we also put some weld above and below the cut point where the two arrows are. then we banged the sh*t out of it against his metal vice to make sure that thing wasn't going anywhere ;-)

©2006 my.IS

Last edited by LO 21; 02-12-2009 at 12:02 PM.
post #66 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Fiend

be interested to see gear positions when your done

- 2002 GGP MT -
post #67 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Follower

Roy's Review

Well I figured now that I have the time I would give you my review on the swap.
Install
First off my swap took almost 2 weeks, not because it was difficult but mainly because OS Giken sent me a 7mgte clutch kit instead of a 1jz (6 bolt flywheel compared to 8 bolt flywheel that the 1jz uses). So that set us back 6 days, plus the fact that my car did not have priority (side job).
I already wrote about my pedal dilemma several post before (check it out if you are interested), but Leon didn't seem to have that problem.
I went with a twin disk OS Giken clutch that requires a pull to push conversion. It's a pretty awesome piece of engineering if I might add. It eliminates the need for all those washers, snap rings, fork, etc. that the regular pull type system requries. Not to mention that it makes removal and installation of the tranny a breeze (no need to go in through the access plates). I don't want to go and just yap about details about the swap that you can easily find on this thread or on other R154 threads, but I do want to write about some things I still didn't find very clear on my research.
When we bolted the tranny to the engine and started to put it at the desired height, the tranny was making contact on the passenger side right where the tail shafts meets the case (center part of the tranny). Leon also did not have this issue probably because he went with the extension housing version.
After we fixed that issue with a little reason and persuasion, we moved onto the crossmember and mount. I had 3 different tranny mounts to try (R154, w55, and the auto). R154 bolts up to the tranny but not to the crossmember (I wrote about it earlier check it out). The W55 mount only bolts up to the tranny by 2 bolts instead of 4, but bolts right up to the crossmember. Don't even think about using the auto tranny. I went with the W55 mount but the only issue is, the crossmember is a bit offset when you try to bolt it up to the chasis. You can put some muscle behind it and bolt it up, it wont be enough to put a lot of strain on the mount. I would suggest to take it to a machine shop and elongate the holes a bit so that they are oval to give you that desired position.
After our first drive we noticed that a little heat shield would make contact with the drive shaft when you gave a some gas. It is on the passenger side close to where the drive shaft meets the tranny.
That was the bulk of the problems.
I would like to say that with the 92 sc300 shifter you will not have issues with the center console.
Post install and driving experience:
Tranny makes noise like I said before. It is loud enough for my girlfriend to say "Hey, your car sounds like it is going to break" . If it wasn't for the fact that I heard the noise from Leon's car, I really would have thought my tranny was bad. It is an authentic 1jz tranny off a jdm mk3 supra with on 37k miles, so they told me. Good news is, Leon has reported that the noise has started to diminish. Maybe it has to due with the fact the tranny has been sitting for who knows how long. I will too be putting sound deadening material underneath the center console.
The clutch does make some noise when it is disengaged, but that is due to the multi plate design (no biggy).
It does take some muscle to shift gears but no grinds what so ever. Rev matching the gears makes things easier. As far as clutch engagement, almost like stock. The only differences are a stiffer pedal and slightly quicker engagement, but smooth non the less.
Well guy's I hope that helped.

post #68 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Blue Devil

Garage
glad you're FINALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY done man.

pictures?

©2006 my.IS

post #69 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Follower

I didn't really get to take pics of the process, but I do have pics of the clutch and alteration kit. I will post them up later.

post #70 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My transmission is noisy as hell... you are not alone... once last summer a guy next to me at a red light asked if my car was ok, because of the noise my trans was making.. but glad to see that you got everything completed DC5ROY... and thank you LO 21 for the shifter info I will do this one night next week
post #71 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Follower

Installer88, what tranny fluid are you using?

post #72 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

Valvoline 75w-90 synthetic gear oil... my noise is gear rattle when the car is at idle and gets worse under load... kind of sounds like a dump truck lol
post #73 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:16 PM

Leon, The swap looks beautiful I need to keep in contact with you more offen because I am about to do the 6 speed soon.
post #74 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Installer88 View Post
Valvoline 75w-90 synthetic gear oil... my noise is gear rattle when the car is at idle and gets worse under load... kind of sounds like a dump truck lol
Mine makes the exact same noise. The reason I was asking what gear oil you are using is because MTL (70w-80) is actually a step thinner than factory recommended 75w-90. I thought that maybe that was the reason why my tranny was making so much noise, but with what you have just told me I guess it wouldn't make a difference. Even though members on this board recommend MTL, I am eventually going to change to MT90 (75w-90) just so that I using what the factory recommends.

I wonder if all the Marlin Crawler built R154's make the same noise, or atleast make less noise. Maybe someone that has one can let us know.

post #75 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Enthusiast

I forgot that it goes away when the clutch is in, or I move the shifter close to going into gear sometimes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 8 (0 members and 8 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page