User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, is a drive shaft absolutely necessary ? I have a guy locally that is trying to work out a deal on swapping his 2jzgte/r154 setup into my is, but could I drive the car for a few weeks ( carefully ) ? Because I dont want to order one and end up not going through on the deal.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Blue Devil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgoff2007 View Post
Hi, is a drive shaft absolutely necessary ? I have a guy locally that is trying to work out a deal on swapping his 2jzgte/r154 setup into my is, but could I drive the car for a few weeks ( carefully ) ? Because I dont want to order one and end up not going through on the deal.

Thanks
yes, a driveshaft is absolutely necessary. the R154 is shorter than the IS tranny and requires a longer driveshaft, so the stock driveshaft wont reach the tranny (hence, not exactly possible to drive a RWD car for a few weeks without a driveshaft ;-))

©2006 my.IS
IS300 '01 - Spectra Blue Mica | ELIXIR | SRT 2.75 Turbo | V161 6-speed | Volk GT-M | Tein CS |

IS F '12 - Ultrasonic Blue Mica | ISS Forged Exhaust | WALD Diffuser | Ventross Trunk | Lexon Roof Spoiler |
post #33 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Lurker

lol ^^^ Thanks. I wasnt sure if it was to handle more power or if it was a necessary part.

post #34 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IScorpion View Post
I was seeing in other older threads that the car has to be "tricked" to think it's in neutral or it would go into limp mode... and that CELs would pop up on on swap like this.

Have you had any codes or have you see anything like this?

I was thinking of doing this swap, since I also don't want to get rid of my SBM, but I'm pretty much stock performance-wise (no engine management, etc.). I just wanted to know what to expect.

I have 11 CEL's because of my 01 auto to r154 swap, so I did the 5min. fix and removed the bulb... Yes you bypass the neutral safety switch to get the car to start... no limp mode here after 6 months and that is not using any engine management (I am bone stock other than the r154)
post #35 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Follower

Well guy's, the car went under the knife last night. We started off by installing the clutch pedal assembly/clutch master and swapping out the brake pedal. I could not beleive how we were getting owned by what seems to be a pretty simple procedure. I know that LO 21 was mentioning how his was a PITA because of all the aftermarket wiring he had by where the clutch pedal goes. Once we had that done we thought we were in the clear. we pulled out the auto brake pedal arm and realized that the manual pedal arm I purchased (the one in the parts list) had this sensor and mechanism attached to it that the auto one did not have. It was restricing the pin that holds the pedal to the brake master to go through. We decided to remove that sensor/mechanism from the pedal arm. Once we had that out it just got even better. The hole is now to big (bigger than the one on the auto one). Luckily we don't call my friend Magiver for nothing. He ended up welding a coller or something in the hole so that way it had the right size bore. My suggestion, buy a used complete pedal assembly that way you have all the parts, or buy them all new from the dealer. If you don't, this is what your in for.
On a brighter note, today we will be dropping the tranny, DS, wiring what needs to be wired, clutch lines, etc.
Saturday-I am waiting on a input shaft seal to come in, replace that, install the tranny, etc.

2001 Lexus IS300- R154 w/LSD-2JZGTE VVTI-GT3788R (In the works!)
2012 Lexus CT200H F Sport

Last edited by DC5ROY; 01-30-2009 at 12:52 PM.
post #36 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Installer88 View Post
I have 11 CEL's because of my 01 auto to r154 swap, so I did the 5min. fix and removed the bulb... Yes you bypass the neutral safety switch to get the car to start... no limp mode here after 6 months and that is not using any engine management (I am bone stock other than the r154)
Well, that sucks. I live in a county where I need to pass inspection. Would you happen to know what the codes are that came up? If these are codes which will keep me from passing inspection I will have to scrub the swap plans (sucks even more, since I already started purchasing parts).

Side note. I keep hearing everywhere that the R154 is also used in the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice. I know there is parts sharing between GM and Toyota, but I was surprised...

Solstice/Sky 5 speed manual (man, that is a long extension).

R154 from this thread.

2001 SBM IS300
| Stuff | Other Stuff | Different Stuff | Other Different Stuff |
|
Additional Stuff In Progress |
post #37 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Follower

^They do look pretty close.
post #38 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Blue Devil

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IScorpion View Post
Side note. I keep hearing everywhere that the R154 is also used in the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice. I know there is parts sharing between GM and Toyota, but I was surprised...

Solstice/Sky 5 speed manual (man, that is a long extension).

R154 from this thread.
yea i had heard that too. forgot to look into it back when i was gathering parts though. man, those trannies look almost identical (except obviously bellhousing and shifter housing).
that shifter housing is WAYYYYY too long though. mine as it is was about 3/4 of a inch farther back than the dead center of our center console housing, so i just played a bit with the shifter and made it fit pretty perfectly. but that one doesn't seem like there would be a way to make the shifter sit farther up.

©2006 my.IS
IS300 '01 - Spectra Blue Mica | ELIXIR | SRT 2.75 Turbo | V161 6-speed | Volk GT-M | Tein CS |

IS F '12 - Ultrasonic Blue Mica | ISS Forged Exhaust | WALD Diffuser | Ventross Trunk | Lexon Roof Spoiler |
post #39 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Transmission temp, transmission shift malfunctions (several of these), vehicle speed, neutral safety, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head... I took the easy way out and changed my license to my mother-in law's house to register my car in a non emissions county lol... To fully rid your car of cel's the easiest way I feel would be replace your harness and ecu with an 02+...
post #40 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Follower

I wanted to know something. When you remove the torque plate (auto flywheel) there is a spacer on the crank. In other words, it is sandwiched in between the torque plate and crank. what i want to know is, do you have to remove it when you install the manual flywheel or do you leave it on? To clear any confusion, it's about a 1/4 inch thick, removable and has 8 holes just like the crank.

post #41 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Blue Devil

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5ROY View Post
I wanted to know something. When you remove the torque plate (auto flywheel) there is a spacer on the crank. In other words, it is sandwiched in between the torque plate and crank. what i want to know is, do you have to remove it when you install the manual flywheel or do you leave it on? To clear any confusion, it's about a 1/4 inch thick, removable and has 8 holes just like the crank.
hey. just spoke to john. verbatim, "throw it away".

and for the pilot bearing question you had, he said there is an installer that you use to install is, and you put it in till its flush.

©2006 my.IS

post #42 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 21 View Post
hey. just spoke to john. verbatim, "throw it away".

and for the pilot bearing question you had, he said there is an installer that you use to install is, and you put it in till its flush.
Thanks Leon and Installer88!

post #43 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Follower

I'm in the middle of the R154 install and I ran into an issue. I need to know exactly what I need to do when it comes to mounting the tranny mount and crossmember. I have 3 mounts I can use (R154, IS300 manual, IS300 auto). The R154 mount bolts just fine to the tranny but doesn't bolt to the crossmember (the holes are closer together plus it has a big nut at the bottom of the mount that doesn't let it lay flat on the crossmember. I would need to elongate the holes and then drill a huge hole in the middle of the crossmember to allow that big nut to pass through so that the mount lays flat on te crossmember). The IS300 manual mount bolts just fine to the Crossmember but not to the tranny. I haven't even tried the Auto one. I already know about the 3/4 inch spacing. Please help!

post #44 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Blue Devil

Garage
anything yet roy?

i think this is what you should do:
take a steel block, like 1" thick, and whatever size is similar to the stock crossmember, let's say 12" x 4".
then you can drill whatever holes you need that match up to the R154 mount.

then take two more small pieces to use as spacers. probably like 4" x 1" (wide) x 3/4" (high). and you drill two holes in each that lign up with the holes in the body of the car to bolt up the crossmember.

i think that's your best bet. your buddy should have no problem doing this, honestly. this should be the least trivial thing of the whole swap, you've already done all the complicated sh*t!

©2006 my.IS

post #45 of 275 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 21 View Post
anything yet roy?

i think this is what you should do:
take a steel block, like 1" thick, and whatever size is similar to the stock crossmember, let's say 12" x 4".
then you can drill whatever holes you need that match up to the R154 mount.

then take two more small pieces to use as spacers. probably like 4" x 1" (wide) x 3/4" (high). and you drill two holes in each that lign up with the holes in the body of the car to bolt up the crossmember.

i think that's your best bet. your buddy should have no problem doing this, honestly. this should be the least trivial thing of the whole swap, you've already done all the complicated sh*t!
I know imagine that, I have done day's apon day's of research and I am getting stuck on something like this. It just comes to show you that you can always do more research.
Well I think the car should be done within the next couple of day's.
I will be looking foward to giving my review.
Thanks Leon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page