User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

awesome write up. the measurement to the center console is gonna come in handy as I get my swap going soon. I just dropped my r154 off to have all new synchros,bearings,seals,thrustwasher,etc. installed just to be safe.
Rep to you!!

02 MSM/gte/ Garrett GTX3076R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Addict

Nice writeup Leon. Im really glad you finally got it done. Im happy for you.

Have fun man, cheers.

It is not the things we do in life that we regret, it is the things we do not.
post #18 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Altruist

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Leon,

I cried when I read ur SRT thread but this write up makes me wanna cry for more!

So how much did u spend from SRT down to manual tranny swap????
I need to test drive ur car man....and see how it feels,
Def. +++REP.

~98 RHD-Supra In progress
~09 C63-AMG DD

Last edited by alfaromeo3; 01-16-2009 at 12:26 PM.

post #19 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Blue Devil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5ROY View Post
Should be starting mine within the next 2 weeks! Just waiting on OS GIKEN to exhange a part for me. I will also be putting up pictures of my swap.
GETT REAADDDDDDDYYYYYYY!!!! hahaha. we can't have done any more planning than we did, now just gotta get 'er done!!

©2006 my.IS
IS300 '01 - Spectra Blue Mica | ELIXIR | SRT 2.75 Turbo | V161 6-speed | Volk GT-M | Tein CS |

IS F '12 - Ultrasonic Blue Mica | ISS Forged Exhaust | WALD Diffuser | Ventross Trunk | Lexon Roof Spoiler |
post #20 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 01:24 AM
Patriot

Great write up !!

Good for all those with auto wanting manual swap !!

+REP ~

itzJOW3.com Phen Club

2K3 l Lexus IS300 Aristo 2JZ-GTE BN Sports US Demo Car l Lamborghini 40th Anniversary Verde Artemis

2K7 l Lexus LS460L Executive Package l Black Sapphire Pearl

2K7 l BMW E60 ///M5 l Black Sapphire Metallic

post #21 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:09 AM
D4o
Lurker

Nice write up, but personally.. I'd rather get an IS300 that is already 5 speed instead of ripping apart a perfectly good car and spending so much money on it as well.
post #22 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Blue Devil

Garage
^^^ well, the truth is, many people do the swaps for many different reasons. mine was that i got the car in the summer of '01. doesn't sound like that long ago, but 7 years ago i would have never even thought of getting a manual. didn't even cross my mind. not to mention, it wasn't even an option until the '02's came out.

another reason might be if you go boost and know that your auto tranny wont hold the power, instead of spending the money upgrading it, you might just do the tranny swap right away. that wasn't an option for me at the time so i did end up upgrading the auto tranny, but sold it after i did the manual swap.

and to be honest, there was no ripping apart whatsoever. it was an extremely simple and straightforward of a project. if it's the inside that looked "ripped apart" to you, that center console takes about 3 minutes to take off and put back on.

and if you're referring to the pedal assemblies that look a bit of elbow grease to fit in there, it was only because of all of the aftermarket electronics (alarm, boost gauges) i had bunched under there since the original installers just shoved tons of wires up there. so it actually turned into a good chance to organize all that clutter, which we did.

and spending so much money? after selling my auto tranny, i paid about $3k. not to mention i spent an extra $1k to get the soarer r154 instead of the regular one whichc would have costed me much less. that's not too large of an amount, per se, to make such an "impactful" change to your IS. i say impactful, not sure what other word to use, because its something you see and feel and use EVERY SINGLE time you drive your car. so its not like installing a navi system that you only sometimes use (not to mention, it would probably cost more than my swap did).

and selling my '01 (which i would NEEEEEEEEEVER ever do because that car is priceless to me, after all these years and memories etc etc) to buy a used 1st gen manual would for sure cost me more that $3k out of pocket. not to mention i'd end up with some strangers car, and God knows how many times that guy may have dropped or slipped the clutch, etc.

just my .02 on a project like this..

©2006 my.IS
IS300 '01 - Spectra Blue Mica | ELIXIR | SRT 2.75 Turbo | V161 6-speed | Volk GT-M | Tein CS |

IS F '12 - Ultrasonic Blue Mica | ISS Forged Exhaust | WALD Diffuser | Ventross Trunk | Lexon Roof Spoiler |
post #23 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 21 View Post
^^^ well, the truth is, many people do the swaps for many different reasons. mine was that i got the car in the summer of '01. doesn't sound like that long ago, but 7 years ago i would have never even thought of getting a manual. didn't even cross my mind. not to mention, it wasn't even an option until the '02's came out.

another reason might be if you go boost and know that your auto tranny wont hold the power, instead of spending the money upgrading it, you might just do the tranny swap right away. that wasn't an option for me at the time so i did end up upgrading the auto tranny, but sold it after i did the manual swap.

and to be honest, there was no ripping apart whatsoever. it was an extremely simple and straightforward of a project. if it's the inside that looked "ripped apart" to you, that center console takes about 3 minutes to take off and put back on.

and if you're referring to the pedal assemblies that look a bit of elbow grease to fit in there, it was only because of all of the aftermarket electronics (alarm, boost gauges) i had bunched under there since the original installers just shoved tons of wires up there. so it actually turned into a good chance to organize all that clutter, which we did.

and spending so much money? after selling my auto tranny, i paid about $3k. not to mention i spent an extra $1k to get the soarer r154 instead of the regular one whichc would have costed me much less. that's not too large of an amount, per se, to make such an "impactful" change to your IS. i say impactful, not sure what other word to use, because its something you see and feel and use EVERY SINGLE time you drive your car. so its not like installing a navi system that you only sometimes use (not to mention, it would probably cost more than my swap did).

and selling my '01 (which i would NEEEEEEEEEVER ever do because that car is priceless to me, after all these years and memories etc etc) to buy a used 1st gen manual would for sure cost me more that $3k out of pocket. not to mention i'd end up with some strangers car, and God knows how many times that guy may have dropped or slipped the clutch, etc.

just my .02 on a project like this..
Well said... not to mention that the factory 5-speed (w55) that come in the IS, is not the most favorable when it comes to big power. It holds less than an auto tranny from what I have read.

2001 Lexus IS300- R154 w/LSD-2JZGTE VVTI-GT3788R (In the works!)
2012 Lexus CT200H F Sport
post #24 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Blue Devil

Garage
^^^ you get started yet?!?!?

©2006 my.IS

post #25 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Follower

Quote:
^^^ you get started yet?!?!?
Wednesday . I'm waiting on him to finish the rally car and then it's my turn

post #26 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Frequenter

i'm planning to do that swap on mine...but i'm actually W55 at the moment....iwas thinking to add some bling bling this year but i had some clutch slipping problems this falls on the dyno witch didn't help me to go over 350rwhp....I have to do R154 swap this spring !!!

is there anyone here who's using the SPEC stage 3+ clutch ?

they said it's "streetable" but can hold up to 625TQ wich is where i'm planning to go in couple years ( the mystic 500rwhp )

see this auction :
eBay Motors: Spec Stage 3+ Clutch kit 7mgte Toyota Supra Turbo MK3 (item 380091609794 end time Feb-18-09 20:59:04 PST)

Land Cruiser FJ45 1977
post #27 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritoss007 View Post
i'm planning to do that swap on mine...but i'm actually W55 at the moment....iwas thinking to add some bling bling this year but i had some clutch slipping problems this falls on the dyno witch didn't help me to go over 350rwhp....I have to do R154 swap this spring !!!

is there anyone here who's using the SPEC stage 3+ clutch ?

they said it's "streetable" but can hold up to 625TQ wich is where i'm planning to go in couple years ( the mystic 500rwhp )

see this auction :
eBay Motors: Spec Stage 3+ Clutch kit 7mgte Toyota Supra Turbo MK3 (item 380091609794 end time Feb-18-09 20:59:04 PST)
I'm not sure about the Spec 3+ clutch, maybe you might want to check out an MK3 supra forum. What I can tell you is, this tranny does not like a lot of shock when it comes to clutch engangement. As long as the Spec clutch has a sprung disk I am sure you should be ok. The enemy from what I have read (no personal experience) is unsprung disk with the combination of a heavy duty pressure plate = shocking the tranny! If you plan on rebuilding the tranny like with Marlin Crawler, then you can pretty much put any set-up you want. I went with an OS Giken twin disk clutch, because it is capable of holding 600+hp and has a smoother engagement than most heavy duty single disk clutch systems. Hope that answers your question.

post #28 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Fiend

I was seeing in other older threads that the car has to be "tricked" to think it's in neutral or it would go into limp mode... and that CELs would pop up on on swap like this.

Have you had any codes or have you see anything like this?

I was thinking of doing this swap, since I also don't want to get rid of my SBM, but I'm pretty much stock performance-wise (no engine management, etc.). I just wanted to know what to expect.

2001 SBM IS300
| Stuff | Other Stuff | Different Stuff | Other Different Stuff |
|
Additional Stuff In Progress |
post #29 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Blue Devil

Garage
^^^ since your car is '01, you don't have to worry about that.

i'm not sure of the specifics of it, but i know '01s ECUs are different than '02-'05s. there's no wiring you would need to do except the starter, and the reverse light wires if you want your reverse lights to light up (even though you technically dont HAVE to do that.)

if you want your SBM in manual, then why not just to a stock IS manual tranny (W55). you'll save some money doing that instead of the R154, it'll probably shift a bit more smoothely, you know it'll lign up perfectly with your center console, AND you get to use a SWEEET short shifter (B&M, PLP, whatever!). i kinda wish i coulda gotten away with a w55, but i would blow it for sure.

and did you install an aftermarket LSD? (i'm guessing in '01 it didn't come stock like that?)

©2006 my.IS

post #30 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Fiend

I want to have the option of going forced induction later without issues, so the R154 is perfect for me. I just wanted to do this first.

Thanks for the info. Does your cruise control work after all?

As for the LSD, my car came with it as a $390 factory option.

Quote:
^^^ since your car is '01, you don't have to worry about that.

i'm not sure of the specifics of it, but i know '01s ECUs are different than '02-'05s. there's no wiring you would need to do except the starter, and the reverse light wires if you want your reverse lights to light up (even though you technically dont HAVE to do that.)

if you want your SBM in manual, then why not just to a stock IS manual tranny (W55). you'll save some money doing that instead of the R154, it'll probably shift a bit more smoothely, you know it'll lign up perfectly with your center console, AND you get to use a SWEEET short shifter (B&M, PLP, whatever!). i kinda wish i coulda gotten away with a w55, but i would blow it for sure.

and did you install an aftermarket LSD? (i'm guessing in '01 it didn't come stock like that?)

2001 SBM IS300
| Stuff | Other Stuff | Different Stuff | Other Different Stuff |
|
Additional Stuff In Progress |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page