LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Virgin Magnet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Hmm now im getting repeated p0420 and p0430 codes. WTF i have a toyomoto sim im pretty sure this thing works ive had it for years.
i have one too, it worked for a while then just stopped. i have a new one - i just need to install it.

yeah, it's not far off - i need some help tuning - i have 02 feedback turned off for now - when i use it i get system to lean

it'll get there, it's hard to tune when it's just you without a dyno. i am heading back to batlground to get some road tuning done by Daniel Willie

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Define stopped? I can see the voltage is ossilating. Where did you get your new one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somguy2u View Post
i have one too, it worked for a while then just stopped. i have a new one - i just need to install it.

yeah, it's not far off - i need some help tuning - i have 02 feedback turned off for now - when i use it i get system to lean

it'll get there, it's hard to tune when it's just you without a dyno. i am heading back to batlground to get some road tuning done by Daniel Willie

BBS LMs. 6spd, Supra Internals. Twin T3 super 60s. Haltech e11 , 720cc injectors, Defi Head Up Display. KW V3. 4 Inch front mount. BC Springs, Retainers, 272s. SRT 3" exhaust. HKS 60mm wastegate. Custom 6 pot Big brake kit

404 @ 13 psi

To be installed.
Water Injection
Win racing kit... maybe..
post #63 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Podiatrist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Leo,
What's your opinion on my situation? I'm debating whether I should even try and pass inspection by signal conditioning:

1. HKS 264 cams with no pickup teeth so prob some vvti code and cam code
2. No auto tranny anymore. No idea what possible codes there could be
3. Q45 non-dbw throttle body
4. Removed the MAF wiring but could put it back
5. Removed the gas line evap wiring but could put it back
6. Using aftermarket ignition so would need ignitor fault stuff
7. Removed acoustic control valve, and pretty much any other VSV I could find

I do have headlights though, and they should work so maybe they'll let me slide.

So...is it worth the attempt?

What about just signal conditioning the actual OBDII port itself. Screw the stock ECU. Pull the bulb and spoof a functoning OBDII port?

difficulty 2001 6spd
difficulty 2008 Audi A4 2.0T S-Line
difficulty 1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab

Boost Stage 9.35++* BPU*3 (Rebuilding the blue deep throat)
First built 2JZ-GE Tri-Turbo
(3) GT40R, 264 cams, 850cc, J&S, V160, Haltech E6X, portmatched head, Q45 TB

post #64 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Extremist

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps View Post
Leo,
What's your opinion on my situation? I'm debating whether I should even try and pass inspection by signal conditioning:

1. HKS 264 cams with no pickup teeth so prob some vvti code and cam code
2. No auto tranny anymore. No idea what possible codes there could be
3. Q45 non-dbw throttle body
4. Removed the MAF wiring but could put it back
5. Removed the gas line evap wiring but could put it back
6. Using aftermarket ignition so would need ignitor fault stuff
7. Removed acoustic control valve, and pretty much any other VSV I could find

I do have headlights though, and they should work so maybe they'll let me slide.

So...is it worth the attempt?
Honestly De, item 1 will most likely require welding the 3 tabs on (I'm assuming). Item 2 & 3 I no idea what codes will be thrown. Items 4 & 5 just resolder the harness and you're good to go. Item 6, create the ignition simulator. Item 7, I doubt there's going to be code thrown there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps View Post
What about just signal conditioning the actual OBDII port itself. Screw the stock ECU. Pull the bulb and spoof a functoning OBDII port?
I did consider this because I was getting pretty desperate to pass emissions/inspection. Not sure if anyone cares but my profession is a software engineer. I can take control of a PC's COM port without any problems and program it to send whatever bit sequence I want. I have a OBD2 to serial port adapter. I considered doing the following a while ago, turn my laptop into an OBD2 proxy. Sniff the data going across the line and possible sending modified data out to simulate no pending DTCs and all the monitors are in a ready state but when I searched last year I couldn't find any good documentation on OBD2 and the inner workings of it.

Last edited by lambchop11078; 04-29-2008 at 02:24 PM.
post #65 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Extremist

Just a FYI for those using an O2 simulator for both primary and secondary O2s. You can only use the simulator for the secondary/post cat O2s. There's a reason for it.

The ECU takes a reading of the pre-cat O2s and post-cat O2s and compares the cross counts (number of times it crosses over the .45 volt mark). The ratio (post-cat O2 cross counts / pre-cat O2 cross counts) needs to be below 75%. If the ratio is greater then that means post-cat O2 frequency is about the same as the pre-cat O2 and the cat's O2 storage capacity is bad and needs to be replaced.
post #66 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Extremist

What O2 sims are you using , I have my primary connected to my narrowband and my secondard connected to an O2 sim and im getting p0420 and p0430 errors now.

I dont really understand you post but if my narrowband isnt oscillating enough it sounds like i could get that error even if the o2 sims worked right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop11078 View Post
Just a FYI for those using an O2 simulator for both primary and secondary O2s. You can only use the simulator for the secondary/post cat O2s. There's a reason for it.

The ECU takes a reading of the pre-cat O2s and post-cat O2s and compares the cross counts (number of times it crosses over the .45 volt mark). The ratio (post-cat O2 cross counts / pre-cat O2 cross counts) needs to be below 75%. If the ratio is greater then that means post-cat O2 frequency is about the same as the pre-cat O2 and the cat's O2 storage capacity is bad and needs to be replaced.

BBS LMs. 6spd, Supra Internals. Twin T3 super 60s. Haltech e11 , 720cc injectors, Defi Head Up Display. KW V3. 4 Inch front mount. BC Springs, Retainers, 272s. SRT 3" exhaust. HKS 60mm wastegate. Custom 6 pot Big brake kit

404 @ 13 psi

To be installed.
Water Injection

Last edited by Sentinel; 04-29-2008 at 02:29 PM.
post #67 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Extremist

Quote:
What O2 sims are you using , I have my primary connected to my narrowband and my secondard connected to an O2 sim and im getting p0420 and p0430 errors now.
I have 2 O2 simulators both from o2simulators.com. One is a custom O2 simulator configured to oscillate every 1.5 seconds between .62 and .28 volts. That O2 simulator is connected to both B1S1 and B2S1 to simulate a stoich idle under 1000 RPM. After 1000 RPM, my 5 pin relay switches over the narrowband signal from my stock B2S1 sensor to the ECU input for B1S1 and B2S1. B2S1's signal is based off of my closed loop fuel table in the TEC3. My other O2 simulator is connected to B1S2 and B2S2. It's the typical post cat simulator that oscillates between .6 and either .3 or 0 volts every 5 seconds.

You're probably triggering the P0420 and P0430 because it's oscillating at a slow frequency or the voltages are high and low enough.

From my testing last year, I was able to feed the primary O2 signal to the ECU and keep the CEL off for about 3 key on/off cycles or roughly 50 miles of driving. So the custom O2 simulator may not be suited for what you really need but if you need something to simulate a stoich idle it will work.
post #68 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Extremist

I have the same setup but with the narrow band coming from my Wideband. I never had an issue with toyo 02 sim before so this is odd.

I am wondering is the simulated narrow band is reacting to slow or fast relative to the stock sensor. I dont have any of the Primary O2 sensors in the down pipe, not really feasible to add them.

my narrowband goes from 1 to 0 volts should i reduce the range to .62 and .28?

This is the last one!!! or evap but i have to get one. The drive cycle for EVAP is ridicolous.

Quote:
I have 2 O2 simulators both from o2simulators.com. One is a custom O2 simulator configured to oscillate every 1.5 seconds between .62 and .28 volts. That O2 simulator is connected to both B1S1 and B2S1 to simulate a stoich idle under 1000 RPM. After 1000 RPM, my 5 pin relay switches over the narrowband signal from my stock B2S1 sensor to the ECU input for B1S1 and B2S1. B2S1's signal is based off of my closed loop fuel table in the TEC3. My other O2 simulator is connected to B1S2 and B2S2. It's the typical post cat simulator that oscillates between .6 and either .3 or 0 volts every 5 seconds.

You're probably triggering the P0420 and P0430 because it's oscillating at a slow frequency or the voltages are high and low enough.

From my testing last year, I was able to feed the primary O2 signal to the ECU and keep the CEL off for about 3 key on/off cycles or roughly 50 miles of driving. So the custom O2 simulator may not be suited for what you really need but if you need something to simulate a stoich idle it will work.

404 @ 13 psi

To be installed.
Water Injection
post #69 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Extremist

I've been asked by a few members on my TEC3 calibration file. If you want to view them I have no problems with it. The files can be downloaded here:

TEC3 calibrations

You'll need to use WinTEC 3.1.1 which can be downloaded here:

WinTEC 3.1.1

The older TEC3 firmware has a MAP reading that is off by 20 kPa so 55 kPa is really 35 kPa. Everything in my street cal is identical to my emissions cal except for the following:

EGO table - I needed to tune a bit richer under closed loop. The feedback is also more responsive and the closed loop feedback is activated sooner.

VE table - The fuel map under vacuum is much richer.

GPO table - Under table 1, you'll see the relay is activated 100% under 1000 RPM during idle.

TPS sensor - My TPS sensor in my street map has a higher closed throttle voltage so it isn't too sensitive under low speeds and light load.
post #70 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Extremist

Quote:
I have the same setup but with the narrow band coming from my Wideband. I never had an issue with toyo 02 sim before so this is odd.

I am wondering is the simulated narrow band is reacting to slow or fast relative to the stock sensor. I dont have any of the Primary O2 sensors in the down pipe, not really feasible to add them.

my narrowband goes from 1 to 0 volts should i reduce the range to .62 and .28?
My opinion is it's not the O2 simulator, it has something to do with the reading to B1S1 and B2S1. I could simulate the same problem with my custom O2 simulator where I'm triggering a P0420 and P0430. Can you get a reading of the simulated narrowband signal?
post #71 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Extremist

Hmm I lie I could with some pain put a stock primary sensor back in? do you recommend this?

404 @ 13 psi

To be installed.
Water Injection
post #72 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Extremist

Quote:
My opinion is it's not the O2 simulator, it has something to do with the reading to B1S1 and B2S1. I could simulate the same problem with my custom O2 simulator where I'm triggering a P0420 and P0430. Can you get a reading of the simulated narrowband signal?
Yeah I can program it to be what ever i want, right now it ranges from 1 to 0 volts.

404 @ 13 psi

To be installed.
Water Injection
post #73 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Virgin Magnet

Quoted: 72 Post(s)

Quote:
Define stopped? I can see the voltage is ossilating. Where did you get your new one?
i was doing great, no codes or anything then all of the sudden i started getting the codes again every 50 miles. i haven't installed the new one yet - i got it at O2 Simulator, E-commerce

TUI
Motorsports
Own the dream

LC SSI 006
SWTEA Talon
post #74 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Podiatrist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
I did consider this because I was getting pretty desperate to pass emissions/inspection. Not sure if anyone cares but my profession is a software engineer. I can take control of a PC's COM port without any problems and program it to send whatever bit sequence I want. I have a OBD2 to serial port adapter. I considered doing the following a while ago, turn my laptop into an OBD2 proxy. Sniff the data going across the line and possible sending modified data out to simulate no pending DTCs and all the monitors are in a ready state but when I searched last year I couldn't find any good documentation on OBD2 and the inner workings of it.
Hmm. Let's find some info. It seems easier than all of this stuff.
Would an oscilloscope reading OBDII pins help out? If there is no info online, can't we just reverse engineer it with some equipment?

difficulty 2001 6spd
difficulty 2008 Audi A4 2.0T S-Line
difficulty 1999 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab

Boost Stage 9.35++* BPU*3 (Rebuilding the blue deep throat)
First built 2JZ-GE Tri-Turbo
(3) GT40R, 264 cams, 850cc, J&S, V160, Haltech E6X, portmatched head, Q45 TB
post #75 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Extremist

I remember seeing some open souce OBD software years ago.

404 @ 13 psi

To be installed.
Water Injection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page