User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

New 1jz swap thread b/c others are retired

Hey, what's up guys I have a few questions that I would appreciate if anyone on here can help me out with. I have a few questions but don't want to bump posts from 3 years ago.
So I decided to go the 1jz route considering the cost of a proper Nat build.

To start off I have a 05 5sp IS300
I would want to run on stock is300 harness and 1jz ecu without a standalone or piggyback for a little while.
I have a spare 01 harness (I've been informed with the 01 harness most plugs will connect, I just might need to extend the harness)

This is the general Understanding I have so far

The jzx100 has the front sump for perfect fitment in our chasis.
I need an 01 harness to connect to the jzx100 ecu.
Since I'll stay stock ecu for a while until I can afford a standalone, I'll have to deal with the dbw.
Ive seen multiple people on forums and even on a youtube video use the drift motion delete to make it "drive by wire" instead of changing out the entire throttle body.
Swap over is300 immobilizer chip.

So a few questions I have

-JZX100 vs JZX110 ? I know both are front sump and have dbw, but I've seen more people go with 110. The reason I'm asking is b/c there is a local importer that only has jzx100's in stock.
Would I have a lot more wiring issues with the jzx100?

-Since I'll try making this work without any engine management, I know I'll have issues with the DBW therefore I can either get a throttle body of a JZX90 or I've heard people use a dbw delete to make it "driven by wire" by drift motion for 20$. https://www.driftmotion.com/2JZ-GTE-...e-p/dm3403.htm
Have any of you on here used this?

When it comes to wiring, I already have a spare 01 harness. What main issues do people run into when wiring up? Emissions for me is not needed nor do I need trac control and cruise control. I just want the car running.
Will the car run like crap without any sort of engine management just on stock ecu with is300 body harness?

The biggest question is can this be done for under 2500?
-1jzgte jzx100 with auto trans/ harness /ecu 1200
-fmic already have one for free 0
-basic maintenance water pump/timing 200-300
-possible harness extension, connectors 400-500
-Downpipe/exhaust 300-400
-Oil/coolant 100
-unexpected issues 200-400
-Miscellaneous 100-300

I'm a broke college student that wants to hold off getting a standalone and r154 until I finish school for those asking why I'm going that route, and yes I have a daily minivan
Matt K and Biller like this.

Last edited by mikerogalski2; 04-21-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)

There's 3 common 1jz swaps that you can do in the IS300. There's the JZX100, JZX110 and JZS171. In my opinion the the JZS171 and JZX110 are easier to swap into the IS300 than the JZX100.
SP2Pilot, Matt K, Piggity and 4 others like this.

Last edited by blkaltezza; 06-23-2019 at 11:27 AM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

@blkaltezza Thank you so much for your time into this post, I've been doing research for days and this is exactly the answer I've been looking for!!
Do you by any chance have a thread on your whole process?
Also, is there any specific dealer you used for the JZS171 or jzx110 that you would recommend? Most places only offer 100's.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Loyalist

Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaltezza View Post
As for your budget, doing it the proper way is going to cost alot more than $2,500. The electrical part will make or break this swap. I know the Dezod AEM is expensive ($1,800), but it will save you alot of headache down the line. You're planning to go standalone anyway so I would just save up for it. Get the motor and do all the maintenance on the side, and when you finally have enough for the AEM you can drop it in with no issues.

Do it right the first time and save yourself some money and headaches in the long run. I was waiting for someone to chime in so as to not sound like an a-hole. A lot of times people just rush into stuff like this on a whim because jayzee fever y0. Good luck man!
Biller likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:09 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Cheap-fast-reliable. Pick two
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Garage
That is some good info on the swap @blkaltezza. So all the front sump 1jz's are either the JZS171 or jzx110's if I read that correctly. I have been debating on the 1jz or the 2jzgte swap since I purchased my 01. Seems the 1jz route would be the more simplified route. I am looking to keep my luxuries as well; ac, power steering, and cruise. Which ecu from those would be best to keep those working without having to run dual ecus?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Follower

Quoted: 145 Post(s)

You want the JZX110 ecu with the ECTS-i throttle body.

Great info blkaltezza!

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:32 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)

All three are front sump, but the JZX100 lower pan won't clear the IS300 crossmember. The JZX110 and JZS171 oil pan is flat on one area like the IS300 oil pan while the JZX100 isn't. Not my picture but this is basically what I'm talking about. The left is how the JZX100 pan will look like and the right is how the JZS171, JZX110 and stock IS300 pan will look like. Most guys who do the JZX100 swap just swap over their oil pan from the IS300. It bolts right on with no modifications.

Last edited by blkaltezza; 06-23-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 02:36 PM
Lurker

Garage
Thanks for the info. Time to start hunting some more wiring info.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Lurker

Garage
I'm having difficulty finding wire pin outs for some reason. Read a few threads on the 1jz swap but none of them really include wiring info. I have the 01 IS300 ecu pinout but unable to find the body junction info at the moment. The search continues.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 03:43 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Hi,

I have completed my swap..

Issues I ran into relating to the engine swap it self: None, like previous replies have stated.. the JZS171 drops right in.. I replaced my engine mounts because I have no clue the condition of the ones that came with the engine.. as well as the usual seals, belts and valve cover gaskets, also inspect condition of donor engine hoses clamps etc before dropping the engine in..

Things that I wish I id while the engine was out: replace all hoses and upgraded the fuel lines etc etc but since you are on a budget like I was.. if those things are still good then whatever..

Some minor things that I have encountered but did not see on the threads:
- the fuel feed banjo looking thing that attaches next to the engine block, the motor I got had the banjo piece attached but I took it off and attempted to attach the stock is300 feed line, but it is 1. too short and 2. its a different bend so it doesnt fit as it should between the two metal pieces designed to hold it steady.. so I got a longer hose and attached the 1jz banjo piece to it and it fit nicely.

- fuel return is a must, you can leave the stock fuel dampener and regulator if you are thinking on leaving the system stock, and just follow some of the fuel return threads here for the fuel pump modifications..

- the abs can be left where it is but its a tight fit with the stock cooling pipes for the turbo, I kinda nudged the whole thing more towards the body of the car but its still tight in there, doesnt seem to be rubbing though..

Now.. the differences with the 1jz for our swap as what blkaltezza said: jzx100 is more common but more of a headache wiring wise ( for guys like me who just want a stock application).
jzx110 is the next best thing, drops right in but now you have to worry about the immobilizer etc, other than that its not hard to repin what needs to be repined..
and finally the jzs171, which is what I went for due to the fact that my car is a 2001 and I was hoping to get the tiptronic working out of it because I planned on keeping it auto.. ( which I finally got working ); the jzs171 comes with the A340E/LS transmission which supports tiptronic since the Toyota Crown has it.. the Jzx110 has the A341E transmission as does the jzx100 (if you buy it with the auto and plan on keeping it)
another thing you must know between the JZX110 and JZS171 is that once wiring is done, with the JZX110 your gauges will work properly (except the top gauge showing fuel flow) but with the JZS171 I have noticed that the temp gauge does not work.. I had to get an aftermarket coolant temp gauge.

the hardest thing about the swap is finding the diagrams (for me).. the jzx100 has all kinds of diagrams all over the net, and the jzx110 has a few good ones now that it is becoming a more common engine, but the jzs171 doesnt have a lot of info on it and most of what I found is in Japanese..
I have yet to figure out the alarm system with my jzs171, the radiator fans do not turn on at all (but I bridged the connector and they are on all the time) and THE A/C SYSTEM!! I believe the jzs171 ecu does not have a pin labelled "FAN" and based on the is300 diagrams "FAN" controls the radiator fans and "A/C Diode" which I believe is the reason my A/C doesnt engage when I press the A/C button.. it's very frustrating but I am slowly learning the wiring diagrams and reading more info online to figure everything out.. but as for the swap itself.. everything is good, loving the 1jz so much..

I basically repeated what most people said but whatever.. to answer your question.. I spent about $3600 on my swap and that includes the engine trans ecu harness & shipping which I got for $1400.

and yes my Tiptronic system works!! cruise control works as well but who uses that? and traction control does not.. again who needs that?? lol
SP2Pilot, Matt K and redreplicant like this.

Daily Drifter BO '01 IS300 | 1JZ VVTi x JZS171 | W58 | LSD | CX Racing | FutureFab | Blitz SS | OEM Altezza Interior

07 CBR 600RR | Stretched

Next: .....

#SXMHoonigans | Check Us Out @SXMHoonigans on Instagram

Last edited by TNCMAviator; 05-04-2017 at 03:45 PM. Reason: left out couple things
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
lexus is200 1jzgte jzx100 swap

Hi all

i swap my motor for the 1jzgte vvti R154 5 speed but it was a jzx100 motor and cause it was a is200 not a 300
i rip out the engine harness and made a new one with the one that came with the motor and its running a standalone parallel
with the oem ecu but it works nicely but the one thing i need the fuel gauge doesn't work, cause the oem ecu receives the pulses from the
injector and the ecu works out between the tank level and the pulses to give a correct level and it cant do that.

I want to change to a jzx171 ecu to fix this issue cause with a standalone aem ecu box.
cause of the oringnal ecu not one the 1j i get heating problems but it also needs a oil cooler upgrade.

is the fuel gauge fix able with the jzx171 ecu
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Lurker

Garage
So I have been able to gather up alot info about the wiring of this swap and read several threads regarding it but all of them seem to not have much info or the ones that do just seem to end abruptly. Most of the information is so scattered around. I came from hondas just like most everyone started out with cause they are simple, cheap, and easy to work on without all the computers controlling different pieces of the car.
I plan on starting out with the 1jz in basically stock form mated to the stock IS300 trans. I want to keep everything functioning as normal so I know I will need to run both ECU's to make this happen. I'm trying to see how cheaply I can accomplish this swap itself, not including maintenance parts themselves, but doing the actually motor swap and getting it running and functioning properly like OEM. I know I can purchase a blank ecu jumper but the Boomslang one is $399. Now that leads me to this. What other Lexus cars here in the states use the same ecu plugs with harnesses that can be found in junkyards I like wiring and doing alot of DIY stuff. I would assume the 98-00 or 01 GS chasis would use the same or similar plugs. So I was thinking that I could go to the junkyard and get the pigtails and ecu to get the connector part out of and build my own blank jumper. Where would I be able to find the female pins to use to pin the connector for the ECU side as I'm sure enough pins and proper crimp tool can be purchased for less then $400.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Lurker

Garage
Correction to precious post. The male pins for the ecu connector not female pins.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:19 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siboosted View Post
So I have been able to gather up alot info about the wiring of this swap and read several threads regarding it but all of them seem to not have much info or the ones that do just seem to end abruptly. Most of the information is so scattered around. I came from hondas just like most everyone started out with cause they are simple, cheap, and easy to work on without all the computers controlling different pieces of the car.
I plan on starting out with the 1jz in basically stock form mated to the stock IS300 trans. I want to keep everything functioning as normal so I know I will need to run both ECU's to make this happen. I'm trying to see how cheaply I can accomplish this swap itself, not including maintenance parts themselves, but doing the actually motor swap and getting it running and functioning properly like OEM. I know I can purchase a blank ecu jumper but the Boomslang one is $399. Now that leads me to this. What other Lexus cars here in the states use the same ecu plugs with harnesses that can be found in junkyards I like wiring and doing alot of DIY stuff. I would assume the 98-00 or 01 GS chasis would use the same or similar plugs. So I was thinking that I could go to the junkyard and get the pigtails and ecu to get the connector part out of and build my own blank jumper. Where would I be able to find the female pins to use to pin the connector for the ECU side as I'm sure enough pins and proper crimp tool can be purchased for less then $400.
Not sure on what other Lexus models use the ecu plugs but I would really appreciate a detailed tutorial on this if you go down this road. I am on the fence about whether or not to use a Boomslang harness or just splice directly into the factory harness for my JZX100 swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page