11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

My AR-5 Recipe

Here is my recipe for a buttery smooth shifting AR-5 transmission. I know there is an AR-5 progress thread with allot of great information already. I just wanted a more clear cut layout. In my personal opinion this is the best way to achieve this swap with the least amount of parts to source. This was done on my '01 MSM IS300 with 2jzge VVTI.

*One thing I want to clear up because I have seen it said more than once in different places.*

**Flywheel does not matter** Some people have said the 2jz flywheel is too big for a 1jz bellhouse it is NOT. Think about it, the block bolt pattern is the same and the starter mounts the same no matter the bellhouse so how is the 2j flywheel to big? IT IS NOT TO BIG either flywheel works. Sorry had to get that out.

Parts and steps needed. (not including auto to manual swap parts)
1. '06 Pontiac Solstice AR-5 Transmission
2. Bellhouseing for 1jz to R154
3. Shifter housing for jzx100
4. Shifter - Short throw stock shifter (w55) could use a stock jzx100 shifter. I personally used a Ralco RZ short shifter for the IS300. (I had to make the bushing that goes into the shifter housing a tad bit smaller, makes for a nice tight shift.
5. 2JZ W58 style flywheel. I used a lightweight flywheel.
6. ARP flywheel bolts(recommended)
7. W58 style pressure plate. I used a stiffer than stock pressure plate.
8. Pressure plate bolts. *I highly recommend getting grade 8 bolts that match the factory bolts. The reason I say this is i had some serious frustration when a new factory Toyota bolt broke in my new flywheel. I ordered a set of new pressure plate bolts from Toyota and one broke trying to torque to factory specs. The bolt ended up having an air bubble right at the head of the bolt. And they are only grade 5 so I matched them to some grade 8 bolts. Just what I did personally.
9. Custom clutch disk from ACT
10. *GM Part* Pontiac Solstice Slave cylinder. Comes as an assembly with the throw out bearing. From what I can find the factory doesn't sell just the bearing. The slave cylinder needs to be mounted upside down.
11. *GM part * Pontiac Solstice clutch line. Ok so I had my local hydraulic hose shop take the end that fits the slave cylinder and take the flexible rubber hose off and solder a 10x1.0mm female fitting on. I made custom plates to cover where the external slave mounted and customs side cover plate. Take and carefully bend the hard line so it comes out and up right against the bell housing towards the top of the trans. Then a standard stainless steel braided clutch line will connect to it.
12. Get a clutch master cylinder for a 1986 Toyota land cruiser. Now take the clevis off of the threaded rod and cut 5/8th of an inch off. This allows for proper clutch adjustment. This is no option has to be done the factory master can't be used. (use vacuum to bleed the line as there is no bleeder screw in it.)
13. AR-5 Transmission output adapter from Drift Motion part # DM3119 call and talk to Aaron and let him know that you are using the jzx100 shifter housing (the adapter is milled down some for clearance, I worked with Aaron on this)
14. Custom drive shaft for Toyota rear end to the Dana Spicer 119 adapter flange on the DM3119 adapter. I used a local company and wouldn't use them again if you're in GA pm me and I'll tell you who they are. I recommend getting drift motion to make you one.
15. Finally the transmission mount. I used a new Lexus w55 trans mount. You turn it around backwards add 5/8" to the rear end of the mount and drill the extra mount hole on both sides you need. I used the aluminum mount that bolts to the transmission when used in the solstice as a template for laying out the holes. (the opposite side of the little metal piece on top.) This fits the transmission perfectly to the car. No shims, washers or anything of any kind.
16. I almost forgot you need the BMW pilot bearing.

Now you have one of the nicest tightest transmissions I've driven.

A few notes I have are...Take the exhaust manifold off the engine and separated from the rest of the exhaust. I did not have to loosen the motor mounts or do any beating to my tunnel this transmission fits perfect. My drive live angle is non existent. Smooth as butter. Also note I did this on jack stands wasn't bad at all. I love the internal slave it is so quiet and responsive. Again everything above is my own personal opinion and I support everyone and their own way.
I do believe I am the first and only IS running this exact setup. At least for now. . .

Also sorry for the lack of pictures I've lost t all but the few I took on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141121_161852_1430604770385.jpg
Views:	34955
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	76665  

Last edited by ExtremeFam07; 05-02-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 05:11 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)

Good shit. If I'd known about this adapter, I'd have gotten it instead of having driveshaft shop make me one. I still might end up getting it because I have a vibration at 100+.

Quote:
15. Finally the transmission mount. I used a new Lexus w55 trans mount. You turn it around backwards add 5/8" to the rear end of the mount and drill the extra mount hole on both sides you need. I used the aluminum mount that bolts to the transmission when used in the solstice as a template for laying out the holes. (the opposite side of the little metal piece on top.) This fits the transmission perfectly to the car. No shims, washers or anything of any kind.
This would have been very useful for my swap. I still might re-do my mount. The centerline of the output shaft with my setup is 4.5" from the sheet metal above it. About the same as the automatic that used to be in there. You didn't take an measurements there did you?

My AR-5 is touching the body on the passenger side of the tunnel at the current position. Did you have the same issue?

Quote:
I do believe I am the first and only IS running this exact setup. At least for now. . .
I'd say that's probably true. How did you know the solstice slave cylinder spacing was correct? I'm using a concentric TOB too but it came with my V8 adapter kit.
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)

Very nice write up, +rep to you sir!

post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Thank you. Yeah (EK) I saw in the other thread that you were using an internal slave but you also have the 1UZ I believe. I didn't happen to take any measurements that I kept up with. I did measure for alignment but never kept up with it the only measurement I kept up with was from output adapter to diff flange. (50 & 5/16") I did not run into the transmission touching the passenger side tunnel. It is really close but I can fit my fingers in there. As for the internal throw out bearing it was something I was set on having. I never even ordered the parts needed for the external slave when I got my bell housing and shifter extention. I did buy internal slaves for the S10, GTO and few other to make sure I could find the best fit. I always disliked the sound of the linkages associated with external slaves. Just so happens that the factory solstice works best. That also sucks because it's the only one you can only get factory GM and they order it from Michigan. The other internal slaves have the same mounting base and hole placement. Only different height and some have bleeder screws. Oh and all but solstice can be gotten for around $40 while the solstice slave is around $200 from GM. You could make the GTO internal work with some spacing shims. Right around 1/2" spacing. It would be easier on the clutch line as well because they accept the standard 10mm fitting. I even drew the spacer rings in CAD to have cut if I needed. But I went with the solstice slave because it was a direct fit with no spacing just custom line. I should add up how much it saves verses the external levers little ball and washers front bearing plate ect. . . Oh and the shipping from Japan. Unless you go drift motion. Anyone looking to do this call Aaron at drift motion as I've given him the pn for the shifter housing needed and he might get some. I hope I have been helpful. I really enjoy this transmission.

Last edited by ExtremeFam07; 05-02-2015 at 09:28 PM.
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Extremist

Quote:
The other internal slaves have the same mounting base and hole placement. Only different height and some have bleeder screws. Oh and all but solstice can be gotten for around $40 while the solstice slave is around $200 from GM.
If I'd just known.... Solstice unit won't work for my setup but because it came with my tranny I have an essentially new Solstice TOB sitting in a box. I almost threw it away the other day.

Quote:
It is really close but I can fit my fingers in there.
Yeah initially I had no contact but I spacer-ed it up higher to try to improve the driveline angle. With the 1UZ my solstice tailshaft actually points slightly toward the ground instead of being horizontal. I can't make it any higher in the tunnel.

My guess is that your tailshaft is set lower in the tunnel than mine is. That's why you have more clearance. I have no noticeable vibration up to about 100 Mph which is 5000 drive shaft RPM's in 4th. I might switch to the DM adapter or a modified stock 2 piece shaft if I can't get it smoother.
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

That's awesome you should definitely throw it up for sale. I actually have a brand new GM clutch line ($40) still in the box as my trans came with the slave and line still attached. I used a new slave assembly but ended up using the clutch line that came with it. I didn't want to wait on parts to come in. The used clutch line was in good condition as was the slave I just wasn't going to reuse it. I do still have it though. If I had to guess, does the 1uz sit higher on the mounts than the 2jz does? Like the centre of the crank shaft? One thing that's caught my attention is how many low milage trans that I keep finding. Makes it seem like the solstice is either not well planted or the people driving them simply can't drive. Mine only had 17,000 miles on it out of a flipped sol.
Also I've only been able to pull out to 135 so far. I need a track day. That was just showing a 350Z what a little IS had.

Last edited by ExtremeFam07; 05-03-2015 at 06:11 AM.
post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 06:48 AM
Extremist

Quote:
If I had to guess, does the 1uz sit higher on the mounts than the 2jz does? Like the centre of the crank shaft?
I didn't think so but my transmission experience suggests it sits higher. The oil pan is very close to the subframe so I can't make it any lower.

Quote:
Mine only had 17,000 miles on it out of a flipped sol.
Apparently there was a rail accident and they had a bunch of solstices on it. All of them were sold off as scrap. Mines supposedly only had 2000 miles on it. It does feel like it's still not quite broken in. I'm using Motul Gear 300 in mine. It's made it shift much smoother.
post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Yeah I might try a different gear oil, mine feels smooth though. Just to see if it could get better. I am using Mobil 1. I talked to Chris (I believe that is the name) from Marlin Crawler when I was seeing if the R154 parts they make would work for the AR-5, which is inconclusive, I asked his opinion on gear oil and he didn't have a preference other than synthetic and not knock off cheap crap. I asked specifically about the Mobile 1 gear lube and he said he has seen success with it and nothing negative about it. He said it held up good to shock, between that and I use Mobile 1 full synthetic motor oil I went ahead and used the gear oil as well.
post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm going to do this swap based off your info. Got a rough price estimate for everything? except labor since I'll do it myself.
post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Extremist

Might go to "drift motion" and get a quote from them.
post #11 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

nice parts list... this is awesome. thanks!!

2005 MSM Lexus IS300

Stock?
post #12 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good to know this works, but does anyone have any input on how the w58-style clutch will hold up to turbo JZ power? I know if I run a six-puck in a stock R154 pressure plate it'll hold up fine for a BPU vvti 1jz, but it seems like even the upgraded w58 pressure plates aren't rated for very much torque. Plus, the R154 pressure plate is like $80 on driftmotion. I have a solstice TOB already, but I'm split between using it or going for the R154 pull-type clutch, since the front bearing retainer and fork and spring and hardware aren't actually that expensive.
post #13 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

" ACT Extreme Pressure Plate for 7M, 1JZ, or 2JZ with W58 trans. This pressure plate is a ACT Extreme pressure plate, for big horsepower. It has a 62 percent clamp load increase. With a 6 puck disk it's rated for 448ft/lb of torque. "

Straight from driftmotions website.. Still rated as a street and strip.. That is pretty much what I was told by my clutch man on my setup. He said, "you'll be good until you pass 450 ft/lbs"
post #14 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

What's the total cost of all this?

'03 IS300 SD TCM 5-SPD LSD
post #15 of 139 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

It was around the $2,300 range.. I didn't keep an exact total as that wouldn't have been good for the wife to see.
tonynca likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page