• 1 Post By Piggity
  • 1 Post By Kris OK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Looking to make some whp

Im new to the 2jz-ge platform, coming from an n54, So im looking for an n/a way to get to like 240-250whp, is there a cam i can throw in without boost and a tune? Looking to go boosted in a couple months, but looking for something to pass the time by, i heard 264 cams are good for like 215-220whp, how about 272’s? Or is that for like boosted? Thanks, just picked her up saturday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76F99FC9-7FC7-45DD-8E98-C38300BE8DDD_1559068702684.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	922.0 KB
ID:	124421  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:45 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard_is300 View Post
I have had both the 264's and the 272's. Both are able to be DD reliable but like said before the 272's will need more parts. What wasn't said about the 272's is you will need to tune the car accordingly so plan on having some sort of ability to tune the car. If I were you just get the 264's and i promise you you will be glad you have them.
Post link: https://www.my.is/forums/f88/264-272-cams-447233/

What you'll hear a lot is that questions like this have more or less been answered already, so search around, it's highly encouraged! But anyhow, welcome to the forum!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:49 PM
Follower

Quoted: 145 Post(s)

Some 264's, header and a standalone might get you to that goal of ~250whp. See the PANIC Link G4+ ecu kit, you'll need a manual transmission though:

https://xcessivemanufacturing.com/ecuk-s8.html

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:40 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 80 Post(s)

I think a really good start is ensuring the throttle opens all the way when you floor it...

I was really surprised when reviewing datalogs, to see that my TPS was only reporting 80-85% during full-acceleration runs.

With key-on, engine off, I calibrated my Haltech's TPS reading... Which is as simple as a mouseclick with your foot off the pedal, and another mouseclick when you floor it. I even had a friend hold the accelerator pedal to the floor while I visually inspected the throttle plate opening - it was WOT.

Nonetheless, my datalogs report 99-100% throttle upon initial full pedal acceleration, but shortly falls off to 80-85% for the rest of the run.

A $20 solution to this problem is the Xcessive Manufacturing DBW delete: https://xcessivemanufacturing.com/to...ttle-lock.html

This solves the problem, but I'm not a big fan of the accelerator feel - kinda stiff and vague.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:28 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Those cheap DBW kits suck as you either have to fight the motor or disconnect the motor completely and lose the idle control. The proper DBW delete is the Premium Japan kit as it still allows the motor to control idle, but it comes at a cost ($300+)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:12 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGM_IS View Post
Those cheap DBW kits suck as you either have to fight the motor or disconnect the motor completely and lose the idle control. The proper DBW delete is the Premium Japan kit as it still allows the motor to control idle, but it comes at a cost ($300+)
I've not tried the fancy $300 one, but I do have one of the $20 Xcessive ones in my car right now. Idle control and cruise control work great. I've not been able to test traction control, but my understanding is that when TC kicks in, you'll get a lot of throttle motor feedback in the accelerator pedal.

In the regular driving I've done so far, I can't say I feel that I'm "fighting" the throttle motor. However, the pedal is definitely stiffer than stock. If you've ever noticed how the OEM setup feels like the pedal has a detent - where the pedal feels light up to a certain point where it gets stiffer...?? Well, you always feel that stiffness with the DBW delete. Enough so that it took a couple days to get used to it.

For $20 I'm not gonna complain too much, but I'm not in love with it.
TobiasSing likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:48 PM
Lurker

I'm sure it works...but I'd be worried about the motor wearing out faster and eventually failing, putting the car in limp mode. It might be fine for a weekend/track car, but not a daily driver imo.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:32 AM
Follower

Quoted: 145 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme View Post
For $20 I'm not gonna complain too much, but I'm not in love with it.
I have the same feelings on it. It's stiff af and makes the throttle incredibly hard to modulate sometimes (light throttle, traffic situations etc...), but when you get on it hard the power is there.
TobiasSing likes this.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:44 AM
Frequenter

Quote:
I'm sure it works...but I'd be worried about the motor wearing out faster and eventually failing, putting the car in limp mode. It might be fine for a weekend/track car, but not a daily driver imo.
Maybe so, but don't forget the OEM arrangement also has a mechanical over-ride of sorts. The accelerator pedal has about 30% command authority over the throttle blade - regardless of what the throttle motor is doing - which is what creates that "detent" feel in the stock pedal.

In day to day driving, my style is more of a high load, low rpm style. Meaning that if I'm in 4th gear @ 2000rpm and wanna pick up speed, I'll usually just go WOT rather than change down to 3rd. Obviously this is for moderate acceleration and not quick accel.

My point is, in my day-to-day, I feel that "detent" in my accel pedal very frequently, so I am frequently overcoming the throttle motor. I've not yet had any issue in the 35k miles I've put on that car.

I'm also planning to soon replace the OEM throttle with an LS3 (or similar) electronic throttle, so I'm not worried about hurting the OEM throttle.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:42 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 147 Post(s)

The etcs-i throttle is capable of being controlled by a standalone. ProEfi does it, and I’ve got my Infinity 506 doing it. Took some voodoo with the PIDs, but works pretty good and gives idle control back to the standalone. Comes at a cost, loss of cruise control.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:16 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris OK View Post
The etcs-i throttle is capable of being controlled by a standalone. ProEfi does it, and Iíve got my Infinity 506 doing it. Took some voodoo with the PIDs, but works pretty good and gives idle control back to the standalone. Comes at a cost, loss of cruise control.
Can you get the standalone to open the throttle plate 100%?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:58 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 147 Post(s)

Quote:
Can you get the standalone to open the throttle plate 100%?

Seems to open 100%. The data logs show it 100%, and physically looking at the blade, yes.
GGM_IS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page