User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

GTE Pistons in a GE?

Alright so I'm planning on doing a refresh on my GE this summer, And I was looking and doing GTE Pistons + Rods, and was wondering is there anything more to it? I read about head gaskets, etc and compression ratios. I'm not planning to got N/A-T anytime soon due to it's a clean car. I just want to build the engine to be reliable. *I did do a search and didn't find anything relating to my question with an answer*

2002 IS300, 5SPD Manual,
Graphite Grey Pearl
Ruff Racing 17x9's
Manzo Toe Arms
Swift Racing Tech CAI and heat-shield
DuraFlex Side Skirts
Momo wheel and hub
Stance XR1 Coilovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:03 PM
delete

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed_2JZ View Post
Alright so I'm planning on doing a refresh on my GE this summer, And I was looking and doing GTE Pistons + Rods, and was wondering is there anything more to it? I read about head gaskets, etc and compression ratios. I'm not planning to got N/A-T anytime soon due to it's a clean car. I just want to build the engine to be reliable. *I did do a search and didn't find anything relating to my question with an answer*

few questions I have would help me to help you

are you ever going to boost?

are you doing the work yourself or have a friend that will do it for cheap? or is money not an option?

"why yall keep smellin your arm pits???"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYN8BR View Post
few questions I have would help me to help you

are you ever going to boost?

are you doing the work yourself or have a friend that will do it for cheap? or is money not an option?
I don't /plan/ on boosting the motor as of now, Thought it's a 50/50 chance I will end up doing it. And I am very mechanically inclined so I would be doing all the work myself, I've been tearing apart race engines for dirt cars for 4 years helping a buddy of mine out with his shop.

2002 IS300, 5SPD Manual,
Graphite Grey Pearl
Ruff Racing 17x9's
Manzo Toe Arms
DuraFlex Side Skirts
Momo wheel and hub
Stance XR1 Coilovers

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:44 PM
delete

Garage
Quote:
I don't /plan/ on boosting the motor as of now, Thought it's a 50/50 chance I will end up doing it. And I am very mechanically inclined so I would be doing all the work myself, I've been tearing apart race engines for dirt cars for 4 years helping a buddy of mine out with his shop.

gte rods, your ge pistons with new rings and a new ge head gasket

gte rods are an upgrade from your ge rods, gte pistons and gte head gasket will lower your compression so for your na application youll want to keep it at the factory 10:1

and if you are doing the work yourself you can always change gasket or pistons later for boost, personally if you are not going for really high hp id keep it with just the gte rods and run high compression boost, but that's just what I like lol

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

gte rods are an upgrade from your ge rods, gte pistons and gte head gasket will lower your compression so for your na application youll want to keep it at the factory 10:1
Do you know if there's any difference in bearings between the GTE and GE rods? I'm un-decided if I'm gonna use OEM GTE rods or aftermarket rods as well, Basically I'm gonna be doing a in-dept refresh. I've already got a full Aisin timing kit.

2002 IS300, 5SPD Manual,
Graphite Grey Pearl
Ruff Racing 17x9's
Manzo Toe Arms
DuraFlex Side Skirts
Momo wheel and hub
Stance XR1 Coilovers
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:59 PM
delete

Garage
Quote:
Do you know if there's any difference in bearings between the GTE and GE rods? I'm un-decided if I'm gonna use OEM GTE rods or aftermarket rods as well, Basically I'm gonna be doing a in-dept refresh. I've already got a full Aisin timing kit.

don't believe there is a difference? but if you going to change rods you will buy new gte bearings anyway, unless you mean will they fit on ge crank then the answer is yes as the crank is the same for ge and gte motors, you could go aftermarket but realistically if you are not putting power to it then there is no reason to upgrade your rods, the 170hp or whatever it is wont bend the ge rods, you may as well just change rings, bearings and gaskets. save your money on rods if you not going boost, put it towards other refresher parts, on that note if you can find oem gte rods for cheap then go with that, they are more then sufficient for na applications, cheaper then aftermarket and I feel oem reliability is where its at

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:05 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

What's the driver for the refresh? burning oil, low compression etc? Lowering compression on an NA motor is going to make it slower than it is now. I wouldn't do that until the turbo was ready to bolt on.

2004 Absolutely Red 5 speed
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:54 AM
delete

Garage
Quote:

and if you are doing the work yourself you can always change gasket or pistons later for boost, personally if you are not going for really high hp id keep it with just the gte rods and run high compression boost, but that's just what I like lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismofan240 View Post
What's the driver for the refresh? burning oil, low compression etc? Lowering compression on an NA motor is going to make it slower than it is now. I wouldn't do that until the turbo was ready to bolt on.
hence the reason it was my suggestion to only use gte rods and keep his ge pistons and use the oem ge head gasket, to maintain his compression. I go on further and suggest to even keep his stock rods since bending them on the stock horsepower is not in the foreseeable circumstantial future provided proper preventative maintenance is kept up

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismofan240 View Post
It has 306K on the motor, She's well due for it without a doubt. Plus I'd rather have the assurance of it having fresh bearings, rings, oil pump, complete gaskets done, pilot bearing, front and rear main, etc.
MYN8BR likes this.

2002 IS300, 5SPD Manual,
Graphite Grey Pearl
Ruff Racing 17x9's
Manzo Toe Arms
DuraFlex Side Skirts
Momo wheel and hub
Stance XR1 Coilovers
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:18 PM
delete

Garage
Quote:
It has 306K on the motor, She's well due for it without a doubt. Plus I'd rather have the assurance of it having fresh bearings, rings, oil pump, complete gaskets done, pilot bearing, front and rear main, etc.
amen to that

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Why are GTE rods being recommended for an NA engine? The spindly little GE rods are plenty adequate to handle the GE - and are much lighter than GTE rods, which is an advantage.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:42 PM
delete

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme View Post
Why are GTE rods being recommended for an NA engine? The spindly little GE rods are plenty adequate to handle the GE - and are much lighter than GTE rods, which is an advantage.
if you read through all the questions and comments you will find the answer to your question, you will also find that in this series of posts it is suggested to keep his ge rods if he does want to keep it NA for a while.

do you have any further questions???
FRaCTioNaL likes this.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:33 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Quote:
if you read through all the questions and comments you will find the answer to your question, you will also find that in this series of posts it is suggested to keep his ge rods if he does want to keep it NA for a while.

do you have any further questions???
Yes.

What did you mean by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYN8BR

gte rods are an upgrade from your ge rods...
...It gives the impression you are recommending "upgraded" gte rods to this guy, whom we both can agree, would see no benefit from same.
FRaCTioNaL and mesooohoppy like this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:40 PM
delete

Garage
Again I say read the post... that was giving with the intention of potentially going boost in the future, it is not rocket science. Also his original post says he wants to put gte rods to begin with... I unlike people like you who just think they know everything and there is only one way to do things I read, analyze and give an answer to his question. I will then go on to give other opinions. Unlike people like you who think they know everything and there is only one way to skin a cat.

How would you have answered his questions by simply saying keep your motor the say it is if you not going boost... he now has a bunch of scenarios and options to choose from.

Not only that I'm pretty sure hes not going to enter big dollar races where the weight of his rods are going to be so much of an advantage, stronger rods are more durable, regardless of weight. So why so much hostility? Perhaps you should go bother another post

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:42 PM
delete

Garage
And this is the reason I avoided forums for so long. Perhaps it is time for an early retirement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page