Cxracing kit + engine management - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
 
Cxracing kit + engine management

So I just bought my IS300 and am looking to get this turbo kit. I e searched the forums (maybe not good enough) but had a question about engine management. If I purchase this bolt on kit, is it required to get an engine management system? If so, any recommendations on the most user friendly one to use? Im not looking to make any ridiculous HP gains at this point. Just want to add a little more kick! Thanks and sorry if I missed a thread with this info in it.
Readytoflow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:38 AM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
           
Yeah you need management if you want the motor to last. The stock ecu is a rigid bitch about altering the timing and fueling, so the best advice I can give is look at AEM Infinity, ProEFI, EMU black, LinkG4, etc. The management + tuning will cost more than the CX turbo kit. If you want to spend less, sell the IS300 and buy something factory turbocharged with a flashable factory ecu like a WRX. The IS is a money pit but I love mine. Building the IS will quickly tie up more than a used/unabused WRX or similar will cost.
Kris OK is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readytoflow View Post
So I just bought my IS300 and am looking to get this turbo kit. I e searched the forums (maybe not good enough) but had a question about engine management. If I purchase this bolt on kit, is it required to get an engine management system? If so, any recommendations on the most user friendly one to use? Im not looking to make any ridiculous HP gains at this point. Just want to add a little more kick! Thanks and sorry if I missed a thread with this info in it.


I am on a new name, can't access my old account. But you dont have to sell your IS for a Subaru. Those are junk anyways

And the IS is not a money pit of you just do things right. It is recommended to do small fuel upgrades and an EMS to control fueling. Hundreds of people have gotten away with a piggy back on low boost and tuning. But like what he said, a good EMS that can control everything will be about 2k like the AEM infinity 506 with sensors. Best thing is do more research, dont rush it, and call reputable shops that have tuned GS, IS and SC 300 2jzge vvti turbo motors to get an idea.

Dont be discouraged, many people have spent less than 5k and have reliable turbo ge vvti cars.
4rcedfed2jz is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:53 PM
Loyalist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rcedfed2jz View Post
I am on a new name, can't access my old account. But you dont have to sell your IS for a Subaru. Those are junk anyways

And the IS is not a money pit of you just do things right. It is recommended to do small fuel upgrades and an EMS to control fueling. Hundreds of people have gotten away with a piggy back on low boost and tuning. But like what he said, a good EMS that can control everything will be about 2k like the AEM infinity 506 with sensors. Best thing is do more research, dont rush it, and call reputable shops that have tuned GS, IS and SC 300 2jzge vvti turbo motors to get an idea.

Dont be discouraged, many people have spent less than 5k and have reliable turbo ge vvti cars.
Of course they are. Let me guess....t00 jay z33 y0 brah!? I'll pretend you are just joking, hence the smiley. Here's one for ya

OP just be warned. A lot of people buy this car because it has a super tyte soooopra engine, you know, four door supra y0! It really isn't the case and modifying the IS does get expensive. Even more so if you need to pay for the work to be done. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. LABOR IS EXPENSIVE. A lot of people have modified their cars on a reasonable budget. What they are not telling you is they have access to lifts, dynos, all kinds of tools etc etc.

If you are only looking for a little more kick you might be able to gey by but a lot of times people say that to just hide the fact they are shooting for a 600hp IS300 and then your feelings might get hurt.

Good luck either way. Modifying a car, any car, is always loads of fun for any enthusiast!!! Welcome.
Readytoflow likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
FRaCTioNaL is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:07 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
           
Eh, I guess money pit is subjective. I’m just saying that low boost on a piggy isn’t going to satiate very many people. You’ll get the boost bug and want more. And for what it cost to low boost an IS, you’d have a leg up by just buying a factory turbo car.

I think if I were to do it over I would look at an SC300 nonvvti. It’s already got stronger rods and pistons. Yeah you lose VVTi but can make up for it with a higher amount of boost.
Kris OK is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:07 AM
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
 
I believe the most efficient and trouble free way to handle engine control when adding a turbo, is to add a second, fairly basic programmable ecu. Currently I like the ECU master "classic", though my car has an OLD Haltech on it.

Simply tap into the OEM harness for crank and throttle position, coolant temp, add an IAT and MAP sensor. These are input signals to the new ecu. Disconnect the Toyota ecu from the injectors and coil ignitors.

This way your Toyota ecu still controls the throttle, VVTi system, cruise control, traction control (kinda) and instrument cluster. It kinda "thinks" it still has fuel/spark control of the engine, but it doesn't - your programmable ecu does.

Definitely other ways to skin the cat, but I'm a fan of this approach.
Hodgdon Extreme is online now  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRaCTioNaL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rcedfed2jz View Post
I am on a new name, can't access my old account. But you dont have to sell your IS for a Subaru. Those are junk anyways[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/MY_is_2014/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png[/IMG]

And the IS is not a money pit of you just do things right. It is recommended to do small fuel upgrades and an EMS to control fueling. Hundreds of people have gotten away with a piggy back on low boost and tuning. But like what he said, a good EMS that can control everything will be about 2k like the AEM infinity 506 with sensors. Best thing is do more research, dont rush it, and call reputable shops that have tuned GS, IS and SC 300 2jzge vvti turbo motors to get an idea.

Dont be discouraged, many people have spent less than 5k and have reliable turbo ge vvti cars.
Of course they are. Let me guess....t00 jay z33 y0 brah!? I'll pretend you are just joking, hence the smiley. Here's one for ya [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/MY_is_2014/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]

OP just be warned. A lot of people buy this car because it has a super tyte soooopra engine, you know, four door supra y0! It really isn't the case and modifying the IS does get expensive. Even more so if you need to pay for the work to be done. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. LABOR IS EXPENSIVE. A lot of people have modified their cars on a reasonable budget. What they are not telling you is they have access to lifts, dynos, all kinds of tools etc etc.

If you are only looking for a little more kick you might be able to gey by but a lot of times people say that to just hide the fact they are shooting for a 600hp IS300 and then your feelings might get hurt.

Good luck either way. Modifying a car, any car, is always loads of fun for any enthusiast!!! Welcome.

LOL if you didn't see the sarcasm then I don't know man. I have owned Subies in the past and one of my current projects is an 98 GC turbo swap.

Any ways if you build the car right the first time it won't be a money pit. The average a person spends on any modded car is 10 to 15k. There are tried and true recipes for success on any platform; 2jzge vvti, few grand on rods, pistons, refresh the bottom end. Valve stem seals, seal the motor with head studs. Rebuild an aristo or TT auto trans, or any of the many manual trans options, driveshaft, diff. Pick an good fuel system, EMS your tuner can tune done. Unless your looking for over 1000hp that right there is fine. And yes I do have access to lifts and tools at the hobby shop at my local Marine Corps base. All in all I have spent under 12k for all that, and included wheels and redone interior.

Just because I'm new to the IS forums don't mean I am new to the game "too jay z33 brah super tyte 4 door supra bro" lol. Not trying to start a pissing match but the too jay z33 supra 4 door comment makes it seem like your saying I am a noob and on the 2jz band wagon loI I started in 1998 with an E36 325is swapped to 1jzgte nothing worked except the motor and ecu, fox body mustangs with tons of diff motors 302, 351, 4.6, MK3 Supra 7mgte x 3 motors to 1jz to 2jz nat, 1972 240z LT1 with th350 z32 rear end, mkiv supra, gs, sc x2, is300, you get the point.

Yes you guys are right with the EMS and all. But I was down that route just like you guys. I was satisfied with 300whp on all stock drivetrain for a few years. Maybe he is the same way??

All in all to the OP, you have many options to do it right. If your fine with a little over 300whp for now, get a good computer and tuner. It could be a slow work up like how most people do if you want more power. Still not a money pit if you do it right but still having fun.
4rcedfed2jz is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Loyalist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rcedfed2jz View Post
LOL if you didn't see the sarcasm then I don't know man. I have owned Subies in the past and one of my current projects is an 98 GC turbo swap.

Any ways if you build the car right the first time it won't be a money pit. The average a person spends on any modded car is 10 to 15k. There are tried and true recipes for success on any platform; 2jzge vvti, few grand on rods, pistons, refresh the bottom end. Valve stem seals, seal the motor with head studs. Rebuild an aristo or TT auto trans, or any of the many manual trans options, driveshaft, diff. Pick an good fuel system, EMS your tuner can tune done. Unless your looking for over 1000hp that right there is fine. And yes I do have access to lifts and tools at the hobby shop at my local Marine Corps base. All in all I have spent under 12k for all that, and included wheels and redone interior.

Just because I'm new to the IS forums don't mean I am new to the game "too jay z33 brah super tyte 4 door supra bro" lol. Not trying to start a pissing match but the too jay z33 supra 4 door comment makes it seem like your saying I am a noob and on the 2jz band wagon loI I started in 1998 with an E36 325is swapped to 1jzgte nothing worked except the motor and ecu, fox body mustangs with tons of diff motors 302, 351, 4.6, MK3 Supra 7mgte x 3 motors to 1jz to 2jz nat, 1972 240z LT1 with th350 z32 rear end, mkiv supra, gs, sc x2, is300, you get the point.

Yes you guys are right with the EMS and all. But I was down that route just like you guys. I was satisfied with 300whp on all stock drivetrain for a few years. Maybe he is the same way??

All in all to the OP, you have many options to do it right. If your fine with a little over 300whp for now, get a good computer and tuner. It could be a slow work up like how most people do if you want more power. Still not a money pit if you do it right but still having fun.
On the first point I feel it's necessary that people state things like these when saying that it's either "cheap" or "expensive" because as I mentioned, labor was half the cost in my swap a long time ago. I can't see it having gotten any cheaper. So saying expensive or cheap responds to specific circumstances.

On the second point....yeah....you got stereotyped as the typical newbie that wanders these forums nowadays by a very nostalgic person who misses the old forums. It's as if every day a new kid discover that there is this car that has a supra engine in it and can be bought for less than $5k. Surely the rest of the world must've missed something. So I did not mean it in any offensive or derogatory way and I very much appreciate you serving the country.

Now post some pictures of that GC. I'm sick of IS's but have been toying with picking a GC myself as a winter car. Sounds like loads of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
FRaCTioNaL is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
 
Ok ill post some pics
4rcedfed2jz is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
 
Kris ok actually that's what I did, sold the IS and got another SC300, but a 99 vvti model lol I was going to do a pre 97, but had a spare gte vvti aristo motor from my gs so it was easy for me.

Fractional, I have read many of your posts in the past, I probably learned stuff from you in the past, as well as from wing zeros posts and many others, when I did my first IS300 turbo build. I was just mainly on clublexus and supra forums, until around 2009 ish and saw many linked threads from here.

I was bummed when I couldn't log in under my old name on here, but I re enlisted because I am helping a friend do his IS300 swap and wanted access to buy parts and to read old posts. Oh and he was a former subie and dsm guy too.
FRaCTioNaL likes this.
4rcedfed2jz is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
 
Have you bought the kit yet?
allturbo98 is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
 
Not yet. Still researching additional parts that I’ll need. After talking with some people I’m leaning on these in addition to the cxracing turbo kit. Obviously this list will grow but these are what I’ve come up with so far. Also please keep in mind I think I’m just wanting to run 8-9psi nothing crazy.

Parts list so far:

Cxracing turbo kit
GTE fuel injectors
Greedy management ultimate system

Thanks for all the responses! Sorry I can’t add anything to your Subaru discussion I’ve only owned an Impreza non turbo! Let me know what you guys think so far!
Readytoflow is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Savannah
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
 
Just my 2 cents here but I have a really good friend of mine who use to have a subie at over 500 hp, sold his and bought a IS did the whole swap for right at 9 grand. Oh and did I mention he didn't want a IS until he saw mine lol. I was rolling stock as hell then 😂. JS.

To me both cars are fun to drive in their own way. I think he spent just as much as he did on the swap as he did to get to that 500 hp in the subie. Right now he's at 467hp in the IS.

Really it boils down to what you want to do and whats your goals. I will say this tho, I have heard a lot of horror stories about the Greddy ultimate. At the same time I have seen people run perfectly fine on them. Guess really boils down to install and how good your tuner is. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by JmC300; 03-01-2019 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Grammer error
JmC300 is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
I’m in the process of gathering parts for my build as well. First thing, I don’t think you can run GTE injectors without also swapping fuel rails, and if using USDM then you need a 7m resistor box. Not worth it IMO just drop in injectors from DW or RC. Also, look into the MapEcu3 that’s what I’m planning on running. Plenty of great reviews and seems to be very capable, probably just about the closest thing to a stand-alone while still being able to tune and keep stock ECU happy
Claytonsandgren is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
You could also look into the following for your fuel management system:

Walbro fuel pump + FPR and fuel return setup
550cc injectors
Link g4 + pnp / AEM V2

Coupled with replacing the wastegate, bov and turbo once you have the funds!

03 IS300 5 Speed w/LSD
Biller is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions Regarding XSpower and CXracing Turbo kit jesuspuppy Go Faster 3 07-26-2016 11:09 PM
NA-T Intercooler Piping kit CrashTest Go Faster 1 04-19-2016 03:22 PM
2002 IS300 1jz-gte swap and engine management question LxBeef Go Faster 4 03-14-2016 06:50 PM
engine management for jdm altezza Jayleach10 General Discussion 0 03-01-2016 08:25 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome