User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Building a 2jz GE

Hello I am fairly new to the forums and I was wondering before I do any type of crazy turbo builds if I should build my head first.
To start off I have no idea what kind of gte pistons/ rods etc I need to buy and where to buy it from. I am also kinda of new to building a 2jz ge as well , I just need some guidance on where to start as far as engine components
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:24 AM
Loyalist

Quoted: 104 Post(s)

I'd say start by going through the stickies. It's not like there's ONE correct answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:49 AM
Loyalist

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L300 View Post
Hello I am fairly new to the forums and I was wondering before I do any type of crazy turbo builds if I should build my head first.
To start off I have no idea what kind of gte pistons/ rods etc I need to buy and where to buy it from. I am also kinda of new to building a 2jz ge as well , I just need some guidance on where to start as far as engine components
Doing the head depends on the shape of the engine. Also depends on the power range you are looking for. I would do a lot of reading here before asking.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

I don’t see any stickies , as for the engine is been well taken care of has 131k miles on it , my power goals are 300-400 wrp
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Loyalist

Stickies are the threads that are kept at the top always. If you can see your thread, you can see the stickies above it. Highlighted in a blueish hue.

Quote:
IS3TT
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:48 PM
Loyalist

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L300 View Post
I don’t see any stickies , as for the engine is been well taken care of has 131k miles on it , my power goals are 300-400 wrp
There is a search function. Try typing (Turbo) in it. I found tons of reading. Here is one tread below.
https://www.my.is/forums/f88/na-t-encyclopedia-591569/
If you do not want to dig through everything and figure it out. Maybe this is not something you should try to do.
FRaCTioNaL likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:27 AM
Loyalist

Here's my plan for you. If you like the IS, keep it as a daily driver. Everyone needs to get somewhere whether its work or school. Then buy a $1000 car (LITERALLY, $1k or so) to work and tinker around with. I started with a 1979 FIAT. You will find, the older the car the simpler it is and the easier it is to learn and work on it. Good luck and have fun!!!
somguy2u likes this.

Quote:
IS3TT
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I like that Idea above ! But what about getting another daily and tinker with the IS300 ???? HMHMHM but the rise is just so smooooothh.....
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:58 AM
Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomin350 View Post
I like that Idea above ! But what about getting another daily and tinker with the IS300 ???? HMHMHM but the rise is just so smooooothh.....
No. The simplicity of older cars is what makes the point a good one. If the guy were an experienced mechanic I'd say sure....but he himself mentioned he was kinda new. Hes talking engine head and then mentioning pistons and rods. Get a 4-cylinder something with ample room in the engine bay and take it apart (mod it if you want to) and put it back together. Fun times.
MYN8BR likes this.

Quote:
IS3TT

Last edited by FRaCTioNaL; 03-19-2019 at 11:59 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:26 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)

Quote:
I was wondering before I do any type of crazy turbo builds if I should build my head first.
I always thought this was an NA thing. For turbo's, I figured you'd just turn up the boost to get more air in the engine.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:53 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

There is almost no need to mess with the cylinder head, the original one is easily able to make 600hp with boost.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:46 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

300-400 HP is a pretty moderate goal. I would leave the motor alone and just bolt on some quality parts. The most you would need to do is a GTE head gasket and Arp head studs but even that is over doing it for that power. However If you did go that route I would have the machine shop just look over the head and inspect the valves/guides/seals etc. Maybe a nice deck on the mating surface. The tune will be the biggest factor in the engines reliability. A lot of people spend quite a bit on parts then try to cheap out on a good dyno tune. Don't be that guy.
MYN8BR likes this.

2004 Absolutely Red 5 speed
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:34 AM
delete

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Garage
new to the forums so I know my credibility isn't worth a hoot but I just would like to chime in if that's ok. if 300 hp is where you want to be at the stock ge will take it all day long with a proper tune as mentioned above. your fuel system is the life blood so don't cheap out there, you will probably end up spending more money on that then anything else but it is the key. you could buy a cheap ebay turbo kit and if the turbine failed the you lose boost, just have to change turbine. your fuel system leans out then well you wont only grenade your engine but could potentially cause injury or worse.

with that in mind here is just a couple of the more common builds we have found over the years of trial and error that has saved some brothers a bunch of time money and headaches.

300hp-
even for the 300hp range I still recommend stand alone, wire in parallel and keep all your factory functions, as you will find in a search because it has been mentioned numerous times when choosing a stand alone it is best to consult the person who will be doing the tune. our local tuners still like the aem v2 but I hear great things about haltech and ecu masters. good quality fuel injectors and fuel pump. we have cars that run oem supra fuel pump and 440 injectors, though the AEM stealth is a great alternative, dont like walbro so much but thats just an opinion from years of experience with them.
as for the motor in this power range leave it exactly how it is. yes do a run through make sure everything is ok compression test and such but no need to separate the head and the block. contrary to what some may say the ge vvti rods will handle this amount of torque. no need for head work either "the stock motor is fine"
now a turbo kit LONG SSTORY SHORT.... best bang for your buck we find comes from CXRACING. they have a complete bolt on kit for less then 2k. thicker manifold option as well that seems to hold up, none we seen have failed yet. weak link we find is the wastegate, spend the money and get a good quality wastegate tial or turbosmart is what I recommend, the blow off valve is a cheap kinda one also so get a better quality one when the time is right. or you can look for and shave down the imperfections you come across s it does not get stuck, the choice is yours.
I probably missed a couple of things but that's pretty much in a nutshell what we do for the guys wanting to be at the 300hp range reliably daily driven.

400hp-
now for the guys wanting to hit the 400+ range the set up is pretty much the same as the mentioned above except we do work to the motor. only thing we UPGRADE if that's the proper word are OEM GTE rods and OEM GTE headgasket. that's the only things needed to allow your ge to reliably hit this hp range. however we always recommend changing all the bearings, piston rings, going with arp studs, valve stem seals the works. last thing you want is to have done all this work and have an old main bearing fail or old piston rings go.

at this point it pretty much blows the budget so to say but we recommend you send the head in to get some porting done, whatever you can afford, horsepower is an addiction and if you already have the motor apart just get it all done now to prepare for the inevitable, unless you enjoy taking your engine apart all the time then more power to you lol.

anyways this was just some ideas to throw out there, it is in no way shape or form the right way or only way, these are just our experiences we have with the 2jzge. there is much more we could elaborate on and get specific with but I wont continue this novel to an epic trilogy. if you do have any questions feel free to send a dm, always enjoy talking and learning 2j with people.
L300 likes this.

"why yall keep smellin your arm pits???"
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:51 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I probably should have mentioned the TT piston and rods. Id be hard pressed to buy that over some forged parts. I'm not sure what a set of oem TT pistons and rods go for though.

2004 Absolutely Red 5 speed
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

thank you so much for your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page