LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Stock TSi View Post
Wiring the waste gate flappers open will not cause the turbos to spin faster to reach the same boost levels. It will just take them much much longer to reach their operational rpm. Now if there was a giant intake leak that would cause the turbos to spin a lot faster to make the same boost level.
Yeah, that was a my bad. I was on Mars somewhere yesterday and was thinking back asswards. I was standing in the garage last night going "uh der."

Nate

Formerly 01' Onyx IS300 - Custom modified intake, HKS Drager II, Tokico Illuminas, Swift springs, TSW Trackstar 5 with Hankook Ventus V12 tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Guru

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Let's try to clear up some things...

The stock turbos are plumbed for both water and oil.

The stock turbos have internal waste gates.

The peripheral flaps are NOT waste gates. They are control flaps to regulate the sequential operation of the twins...but without the stock ECU managing the VSVs, they are irrelevant and become restrictions. I cut out my EGCV with a plasma cutter, as well as every other control valve for a true twin conversion.

It's handy to have a welder though to fill in the holes left by the missing actuator rods.

Car sold to a good new home!

Full Aristo 2JZ-GTE BPU++ - Getrag v161 - EMU - Brembo BBK - CCW Classics 9F/10.5R - 255/35F - 285/30R - AAR Arms - GReddy Type-S - Hotchkis Sways - Teck Kit - Prolex / Cusco STB - Full ICE - HKS Drager - Prosport Prem Boost/EGT/FP - Innovative LC-1/XD-16 - Goodridge SS - TRD F/R Underbrace - Greddy Profec B Spec II - Megan Toe Arms
post #33 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeCKis300 View Post
Let's try to clear up some things...

The stock turbos are plumbed for both water and oil.

The stock turbos have internal waste gates.

The peripheral flaps are NOT waste gates. They are control flaps to regulate the sequential operation of the twins...but without the stock ECU managing the VSVs, they are irrelevant and become restrictions. I cut out my EGCV with a plasma cutter, as well as every other control valve for a true twin conversion.

It's handy to have a welder though to fill in the holes left by the missing actuator rods.

I am aware of all of that and have done the same things you have to go TTC. My original question was to see how anyone who has done this swap (and kept the stock twins) how they plumbed the stock wastegate actuators being that they both have 2 ports. I was just curious if you guys used a rubber vacuum plug for the 2nd ports and if so how have they held up in the underhood heat. Or have you done what I did in my second picture and t-eed off to plug into both ports. Sorry this thread got so confusing over what I thought would be a simple to answer question.

post #34 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Altruist

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

thanks Mr. Paul for clearing things, you understand this stuff WAY better than me...I am in no way an expert at this stuff, but merely started the thread to give information on how I did my swap and sorta a compilation of all the information that I have gathered from everyone here as well as myself.

For my perspective, everything that has been plugged with rubber caps have held up just fine. However most my caps are on the intake side.

01 MSM E-Shift ZGMF-X10A Freedom
- Full OEM Aristo 2JZ-GTE conversion :)

Looking to do an Aristo swap?
Aristo Swap with IS ECU
Aristo Swap with Aristo ECU
post #35 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Stock TSi View Post
I am aware of all of that and have done the same things you have to go TTC. My original question was to see how anyone who has done this swap (and kept the stock twins) how they plumbed the stock wastegate actuators being that they both have 2 ports. I was just curious if you guys used a rubber vacuum plug for the 2nd ports and if so how have they held up in the underhood heat. Or have you done what I did in my second picture and t-eed off to plug into both ports. Sorry this thread got so confusing over what I thought would be a simple to answer question.
Ahh.. Just for clarification, there is one wastegate that controls both turbos. The rear actuator is not a wastegate but a prespool controller.

Yes, just cap off the front wastegate actuator lower nipple with a rubber vacuum plug. Leave the top line in place to the compressor housing. That's unless you have a boost controller.

Also...for anyone doing this swap, please look into "restrictor rings" before you grenade your motor due overboost.

Full Aristo 2JZ-GTE BPU++ - Getrag v161 - EMU - Brembo BBK - CCW Classics 9F/10.5R - 255/35F - 285/30R - AAR Arms - GReddy Type-S - Hotchkis Sways - Teck Kit - Prolex / Cusco STB - Full ICE - HKS Drager - Prosport Prem Boost/EGT/FP - Innovative LC-1/XD-16 - Goodridge SS - TRD F/R Underbrace - Greddy Profec B Spec II - Megan Toe Arms
post #36 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeCKis300 View Post
Ahh.. Just for clarification, there is one wastegate that controls both turbos. The rear actuator is not a wastegate but a prespool controller.

. . . .

Your post got me worried so I went and pulled the heatshield off my motor on the stand and that rear actuator in the 2nd pic that I posted is most definetly a wastegate actuator for the rear turbo. The only exhaust bypass the front actuator is doing is past the front turbo.
post #37 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Guru

There is only 1 wastegate and that is on the front turbo.

The rear may look like a wastegate from the outside but is functionally a prespool control gate for the second turbo in sequential mode. It is not even plumbed correctly to act as a wastegate if u wanted it to. It is known as the EBV, exhaust bypass valve.

The two turbos work as a larger single system when they are both enabled. You do not need more than 1 wastegate to control the 2 turbos in TTC.

post #38 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 PM

trans

so what trans are you going with?
post #39 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Altruist

I went with stock IS auto tranny with Toyomoto VB Upgrade.

Aristo Swap with IS ECU
post #40 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Follower

how much power does the stock auto tranny can hold?

I believe its gonna break eventually since it wasnt designed for this high HP

isnt it better to use the aristo tranny in this case?

'01 Matador Red Mica
2JZ-GTE vvti swap, 1/4 mile 12.604 on street tyres ... 457whp on pump gas @ 1 Bar
Presicion, Tial, Greddy, Walbro, Autometer, HKS, Aeromotive, ACT, Fidanza, R154, TRD, Enkei's RPF1, Cusco and much more
post #41 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Altruist

if you read the install doc up on top, reasons are posted to use the IS tranny.

it is generally know that i CAN hold around 400rwp depending on tq and what you have to support it as well as the condition it was in before you boosted.

Aristo Swap with IS ECU
post #42 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvector View Post
how much power does the stock auto tranny can hold?

I believe its gonna break eventually since it wasnt designed for this high HP

isnt it better to use the aristo tranny in this case?
i think its a 4 spd automatic.

E-Shift/LSD | RED/BLK | Modified T-Netics | JDM FOGS | TRD SPOILER | Apex'i N1 | Tanabe | JIC | Defi Amber | AEM | PFS VB | AEM PnP StandAlone |

2002 IS300 AR (burnt)
2003 350z Track (got twins)

Looking for white 02+ manual soon...

Awesome Parts For Sale:https://my.is/forums/f99/f-s-huge-par...er-pix-349647/
post #43 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002REDIS300 View Post
i think its a 4 spd automatic.

It is.
post #44 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Altruist

again all this is stated in the install doc up on top

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzero View Post
During the process of my Aristo swap here is what i found.

1. The tranny (or bellhousing rather) WILL bolt up to the stock block.
2. The tranny is actually LONGER than the stock tranny so your drive shaft is PWNED!
3. The flange on the end of the tranny is COMPLETELY different than the stock auto so your PWNED there too.
4. The Aristo tranny is 4sp and stock is 5sp (please don't PWN yourself on that one )
5. IS ECU don't know JACK about the Aristo auto PWNED Yet again.

Keep the stock auto and build it or at least VB uprade.

Hope this helps

Aristo Swap with IS ECU
post #45 of 795 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Addict

Just curious - did you Aristo swappers opt to change out the oem jdm side feed injectors and fuel rail for the usdm GTE top feeds? It seems parts are more plentiful on the usdm side and better choices as far as larger injectors, etc.. Also, are there any limitations to using the oem Aristo FPR?

Thanks!

*If this takes the thread off topic feel free to delete. I'm just curious around the fueling aspects people took with this swap.*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page