Oil change every 5k or 7.5k...Dealer says 7.5k is the max? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oil change every 5k or 7.5k...Dealer says 7.5k is the max?

So for those in STL, Lexus St. Louis (Mugenast) changes my oil, and they put the new oil sticker on the windshield that says I need to come back for another after 5k miles. However, doesn't the owners manual say unless you're driving in dusty conditions and such, oil changes can be done every 7.5k? I just spoke with someone at Mungenast because a check light came on in my car and my trac off light is blinking and they said "you're overdue for your oil change," (last change was around 60k, I'm at 66.5k right now). I said "isn't it 7.5k," and they reply that 7.5k is the max. So, am I driving under the wrong assumptions, or is Mungenast trying to make some extra cash by getting people in for oil changes on a more consistent basis than they would otherwise?

And if anyone has any guesses as to why or what it means when my Check light goes on and my TRAC OFF light is blinking, let me know (I press the trac off button, on and off, but nothing changes on the dash lights).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Loyalist

I would never go over 5k miles. I stopped taking my car to them cause oil changes were getting expensive and they were not putting full synthetic in like I wanted them to do from the beginning.

04 Sportdesign black on black 5-speed with nav SOLD:(

06 Ford F-350 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab Lariat Magnaflow 5in ss exhaust with 4in downpipe AFE intake (coming soon Edge W/Juice)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Lurker

5K max on any oil

I don't ever go more than 5000 miles on any oil.

I use Valvoline full synth and like any oil - it has lots of impurities in it after just a few hundred miles.

IMHO, all motor oils should be changed between 3000K and 5000K max....sooner if you really beat the snot out of your ride.

FTR - my dealer charges $100 for the Oil and Filter change using Valvoline full synth........outrageous in my book.....but living in the frozen tundra of NH, sometimes I have no choice....In the warmer months, I do the work, when its 10 below zero, I pay the dealer + get a free vacuum and car wash with a loaner.....hmmmmm......maybe it is worth the $100 LOL

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikenascar View Post
So for those in STL, Lexus St. Louis (Mugenast) changes my oil, and they put the new oil sticker on the windshield that says I need to come back for another after 5k miles. However, doesn't the owners manual say unless you're driving in dusty conditions and such, oil changes can be done every 7.5k? I just spoke with someone at Mungenast because a check light came on in my car and my trac off light is blinking and they said "you're overdue for your oil change," (last change was around 60k, I'm at 66.5k right now). I said "isn't it 7.5k," and they reply that 7.5k is the max. So, am I driving under the wrong assumptions, or is Mungenast trying to make some extra cash by getting people in for oil changes on a more consistent basis than they would otherwise?

And if anyone has any guesses as to why or what it means when my Check light goes on and my TRAC OFF light is blinking, let me know (I press the trac off button, on and off, but nothing changes on the dash lights).

Thanks!
Royal Purple has claimed it can go over 10000, but the problem is the oil filter. I would not go over 5000 on the oil filter.

-HKS-VOLK RACING-ROTORA-TEIN-JIC-LTUNED
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Lurker

hmm.. i thought it was every 3k miles lol guess i've been spending a little too much money on oil changes..

'03 IBP IS300
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron25 View Post
Royal Purple has claimed it can go over 10000, but the problem is the oil filter. I would not go over 5000 on the oil filter.
Mobile One has or had some that they claimed was good for 15,000 miles. Tried it in a old "beater" and it didnt do the job, at 12k the motor spun a bearing. The cars motor was in good shape before.... and had the filter changed twice during that 12k.

Needless to say, dont listen to people that say you can go longer.... a oil change is cheap, anythingmore than 5k and you're pushing your luck

-Andrew
2002 MSM Lexus IS300, LSD, A/T Stock For now
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Garage
If I go over 3k in my car im nervous. I am obsessed with taking care of my car and I do my best to not go over 3k and if I do its changed with in a week. And Since its starting to warm up here I use 10w-30 full synthetic . I dont care what an oil company says I wouldnt go over 5k.

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Regional Forums / All Together Now > Mid-West

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page