Kansas City, MO traffic ticket help. (from out of town) - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Loyalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Kansas City, MO traffic ticket help. (from out of town)

Can anyone help me out.

Got a ticket on the interstate in KS just South of downtown. I don't remember the road other then it was a 2 lane road, very tight, and narrow and I got popped by a motorcycle cop.
I didn't know what the speed limit was so I was just trying to keep up with the flow of traffic. Me and my friend didn't know which gateway to turn off on, so we could connect with and take 35 all the way down to Texas for the Supra meet. Eventually we said screw it, and decided to just get off on the next exit, find a place with wi-fi and get on mapqwest for directions.
So traffic is tight, but I speed up to get in front of a car, get in the right hand lane, soon as I do. BAM, I see a guy in black jump on a motorcycle right as I pass him. lol..
Got me doing 64mph in a 45mph.

I need some advice. I live in Omaha, NE.
Can I take a class or anything to keep the ticket/points off my license/record?
Should I get some kind of a lawyer, and fight it, saying I don't live in the town, was lost, and was just going with the flow of traffic?
Should I show up to court? maybe the cop won't show since i'm from out of town. An the judge will drop the ticket.

My thing is, I really don't have a problem paying it. I just would like to keep the points off my license/record.

Help me out guys. I have to get this sent in by late April.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey I live in the suburbs of Kansas City and recently got a speeding ticket also. I can't quite tell if you got pulled over on the Kansas or Missouri Side, but I'll tell you what I know about how to get out of it if you were in Kansas.
First off, Kansas does not use the point system, so my guess is that it will not effect your point system since the ticket is out-of-state. I am not sure though. If it does go on your point record, there is one more way to try to get out of it.
If this is your first speeding ticket in a while, you can apply for a diversion. While the laws vary from county to county, usually you can apply for a diversion for the same price as the fine. The diversion is basically a probation period, if you don't get anymore moving violations by the end of the diversion period (3-6 months) the ticket is dismissed.
You should go to court no matter what you do. In some counties I know you can pay extra to get it amended if you see the DA, but in some counties, like mine, you need a lawyer for this.
Hopefully, some of this will help you out.

2002 IS300 IBP
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_IS300 View Post
Hey I live in the suburbs of Kansas City and recently got a speeding ticket also. I can't quite tell if you got pulled over on the Kansas or Missouri Side, but I'll tell you what I know about how to get out of it if you were in Kansas.
First off, Kansas does not use the point system, so my guess is that it will not effect your point system since the ticket is out-of-state. I am not sure though. If it does go on your point record, there is one more way to try to get out of it.
If this is your first speeding ticket in a while, you can apply for a diversion. While the laws vary from county to county, usually you can apply for a diversion for the same price as the fine. The diversion is basically a probation period, if you don't get anymore moving violations by the end of the diversion period (3-6 months) the ticket is dismissed.
You should go to court no matter what you do. In some counties I know you can pay extra to get it amended if you see the DA, but in some counties, like mine, you need a lawyer for this.
Hopefully, some of this will help you out.
K, looked at my ticket the other night. It's in Missouri. It was SouthBound on I35 near the 210 exit. It was right before I passed over the Paseo Bridge. (near the Charles B Wheeler Downtown Airport) If any of that helps. But it was in Missouri. So i'm not sure. It doesn't have any diversion class sign up on the ticket or anything. I need some help with this though. I need to keep these points from hitting my license, so if there is a prevention class. I need to find out how to sign up.

Last edited by KR4P11; 04-09-2009 at 12:31 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 05:47 AM

Yea most states have the diversion thing (unlike shitty old nebraska). I know that the class is out of the question unless you were to go there and schedule a class (only 2 hrs away for you, you could make it a weekend thing). Finally out of state tickets rarely make it to your driving record furthermore will not put points on it. You see I am pretty sure it is illegal to put your own stipulations on litigations from other states according the "good faith and credit clause." What I mean is if MO does not deem your ticket worthy of points on a record, Neraska cannot. I got a ticket in bubmle fuck baCK WOODS NEBRASKA. Here it is sooo fucked up. If you get a ticket in Nebraska you can only take their "STOP" class once every 3 years. So the BS 6 over ticket I got on 370 heading toward Bellevue in June of 06 prohibits me from taking the class. Thanks Nebraska I cannot wait to never live here again. BTW KR4P11 if you can I would encourage you to leave as well. Not only does Omaha have the crappiest roads I have ever seen, but every one in Omaha pays for the rest of the struggling state. We are taxed out the @$$ and traffic stops are relitively high here (gee I wonder why). Good luck with your ticket, I am going to pay mine and pray that it some how doesnt get back to Texas.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 AM

Alright, first off, Missouri usually seems to have some of the more laid-back laws in the states so it might not be too hard to get out of.

Red_IS made a point, there is a good chance the points won't go on your driving record anyway.

From what I found with my ticket is that they make it very unclear of what you can do to get out of it online. It'd probably be easiest to go to your court date and talk to the judge and the DA.

If a diversion is available it will not say so on the ticket, just talk to the judge and they will explain it.

I would try to talk to the DA first because you never know, maybe you can get it amended. Although, you may end up spending more money this way.

2002 IS300 IBP
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_IS300 View Post
Alright, first off, Missouri usually seems to have some of the more laid-back laws in the states so it might not be too hard to get out of.

Red_IS made a point, there is a good chance the points won't go on your driving record anyway.

From what I found with my ticket is that they make it very unclear of what you can do to get out of it online. It'd probably be easiest to go to your court date and talk to the judge and the DA.

If a diversion is available it will not say so on the ticket, just talk to the judge and they will explain it.

I would try to talk to the DA first because you never know, maybe you can get it amended. Although, you may end up spending more money this way.
K, it's taken care of. Or will be soon.

There is a number to call if you get a ticket. A guy on Supraforums.com told me about this.
This is what he said.
"Everytime I get a ticket, I go to Traffic Law Center. If you're a first time customer, you pay a $90 attorney fee and wait for a letter. The letter will be an explanation of the charge being reduced to a non-moving violation and your fine amount. Pay this fine by the date explained in the letter, and you're done. The last one for me was 80 in a 55. The violation was reduced to a "noise violation" and the fine was $153. I would call them, they have never let me down. Their number is below, this is the office I've dealt with. I also put a KC office as back-up. Good Luck.

STL: 636-530-9707

KC: 816-756-2999"

So I called them up and this is what happened. This ticket info is VERY good if anyone in the future gets a ticket I recommend calling this number. (the KC one is for Kansas City, MO)

I called up, because mine was 64 in a 45. They were doing construction. So it was more then normal. $304 was the total for my ticket. No construction workers present. I was lost, trying to get back onto I35 to head down to Houston, TX. Just going with the flow of traffic. I speed up to get over in the right lane to get off next exit and find out how the "Fawk" I get back to I35.... well I got popped while getting in front of the car in the right lane.
Because it was Clay County, the guy has to actually go and appear in court for me. She said he originally was going to charge me $200 (fee), plus $250 for the ticket. Well I talked to her, and she got it dropped down to $150, plus I had to pay $250 for the ticket. Reason it was $150 for his fee is because he had to go to Clay county and appear in person. Otherwise it would of been $90, because it could of been handled by mail.
So $400 later, i'm out of a speeding ticket. No points on license, no points on insurance.......

So anyone that gets a ticket in the whole state of Missouri needs to hit this place up and call them. Ask for Lori, she's the one that helped me. If she hits you with a price. Negotiate with her.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My better advice to you is that you should hire professional attorney and he will properly fight your case.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 06:47 AM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisagra View Post
My better advice to you is that you should hire professional attorney and he will properly fight your case.
That's pretty much what the Op did, he hired an attorney to go to court on his behalf. But it was a court appointed attorney.

Same thing just happened my boss. Got a speeding ticket in SC and he lives here in PA. He called the number on the ticket, which is basically a law firm full of money hungry attorneys. They try and usually knock down the ticket but you also get hit with a small lawyer fee, although his was $300. So sure, I say it's always best to fight any traffic ticket with your own lawyer but if you need to make a weekend trip because it's far away, then it is not always worth it. It's more feasible to just get Joe Blow lawyer that already lives there and can fight your case, even though it's just all one big money scandal it seems.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Way to fight speeding ticket at Henry county

Hi jasonm4

Own lawyer is always best. We should hold good relations with law firm also. Last week I was also handed over speed ticket at Henry county cross road for driving at 40 miles per hour on the 35 mph speed lane. I visited Missouri Ticket Lawyer - +1 (573) 864-2225 - Protect Your License! - Henry County Speeding Tickets.They deal everything online. I contacted them and send them all details and my fine was reduced to $ 200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Regional Forums / All Together Now > Mid-West

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page