What's the best High Performance car that can be daily driven? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What's the best High Performance car that can be daily driven?

What do you think the best high performance car is that can be daily driven? It needs to be able to maneuver around town easily, go over speed bumps, be comfortable, and fit at least two people comfortably. Everything is game from the M3 to the GT-R to the Turbo S, to a Zonda F. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 AM
\/ Awesome \/

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would say the new GTR is the ultimate DD. Ludicrous speed, great refinement, and it even has rear seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPoop View Post
This is the future of engine technology. There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called efficiency.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Addict

I'm going to go with anything in the CTS-V/M3/IS-F/C63 segment. Trunk space, acceptably comfortable suspension, rear seats and sedans optional. That being said.... a good daily driver all comes back to who's driving it and how much of a sacrifice they are willing to make for performance.

Some say he roams around the woods at night foraging for wolves.

DINAN Silverstone II E92 M3 w/ DCT
Jet Black E92 M3 w/ DCT (Gone)
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Class III Aficionado

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Mercedes McLaren SLR or Bugatti Veyron. It is the every day supercar and hypercar.

Vice President and CTO of The A.S.S

ďIím sorry, but having a DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch.Ē - Jezza
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Fiend

The ultimate high performance car.... Toyota supra. But with newer cars I'd say the isf. It's luxury and power plus the styling you can't beat that. Plus if comfort is an issue for you the isf is a perfect blend of comfort and sport.

02 GGP IS300- K&N FIPK, cross drilled slotted rotors, GReddy TI-C cat back. BC 264 Cams & Fidanza cam gear (waiting for installation)
RIP- 00 GS 300 with Borla exhaust
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins)-tuned, AFE intake, FBD intake elbow, Isspro gauges, Fass DF-165, built tranny, king tune and Mbrp exhaust.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

There are some hypercars and high end exotics (Aston Martin, V10 R8) you could throw in there, but on the affordable for most end of the spectrum I am going to put my two cents out there:

CTS-V
Audi S4

I have said this for a while, but I think the only thing missing from my car is a backup camera (they make them on 09+) and 556hp / extra styling cues of the CTS-V. 4 doors, super comfortable interior, the V has even better suspension and can eat up most other cars on the road.

I voted for the S4 sedan because my brother just sold his 2010 M3 coupe for a 2011/12 S4 prestige package. I got to drive both and although the S4 isn't quite as fast, it's way more liveable around town thanks to the suspension and torque delivery. Plus, he's getting the Stasis tune that should add another 110+hp so that will put it in a different category altogether.

2010 Jaguar XFR - Mina exhaust with powdercoated tips, custom X-pipe, Mina carbon fiber front diffusers, hood louvers, mirrors and side vents, powdercoated stock Nevis wheels
The PL: It's all politics.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Loyalist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

some of you guys are totally disregarding the cost of maintenance. for me that completely rules out the GT-R and cars like the Veyron and SLR. Tires on those cars can be upwards of $20k and if you're daily driving you'll burn through a few sets faster than you'd think.

I'd probably have to say BMW M6, or possibly SL63 AMG (not the black because the seats are ludicrous). You can probably grab the M6 with no cost maintenance and if you get the hardtop you get trunk space, back seats and every creature feature you can ask with a monstrous twin turbo v8 under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexifer View Post
I know you guys might tear me apart for this but what is a PL?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Deity

That's affordable? Boss 302

Yup
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Class III Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohnIS View Post
some of you guys are totally disregarding the cost of maintenance. for me that completely rules out the GT-R and cars like the Veyron and SLR. Tires on those cars can be upwards of $20k and if you're daily driving you'll burn through a few sets faster than you'd think.

I'd probably have to say BMW M6, or possibly SL63 AMG (not the black because the seats are ludicrous). You can probably grab the M6 with no cost maintenance and if you get the hardtop you get trunk space, back seats and every creature feature you can ask with a monstrous twin turbo v8 under the hood.
If I could afford a SLR or a Veyron the cost of maintaining it would not be an issue

ďIím sorry, but having a DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch.Ē - Jezza
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Class III Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexussupra View Post
The ultimate high performance car.... Toyota supra. But with newer cars I'd say the isf. It's luxury and power plus the styling you can't beat that. Plus if comfort is an issue for you the isf is a perfect blend of comfort and sport.

stop before you make me cry

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Frequenter

911 Turbo!

01 GGP
10 RX350 AWD
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Loyalist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkey View Post
If I could afford a SLR or a Veyron the cost of maintaining it would not be an issue
where's bradb1us? i'd like to hear what he has to say about daily driving his ferrari/lamborghini vs. the cost of maintaining it. i don't think you'd be so frivolous with your money, i know i wouldn't. in the case of the GT-R, after the oil changes, tires, and gasoline you could probably have bought two GT-R's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexifer View Post
I know you guys might tear me apart for this but what is a PL?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Loyalist

I think it depends. My initial thought went to the point that ronjohnIS made and considered how much I was making yearly before making my decision. Then I had to take in outside factors. For example, the term my company uses for people like me is DINK- Double Income No Kids. So I don't need a backseat and since my wife has a car, why would I need to have anything with a backseat or room for more than two? Then I have to take into account what I consider high performance against what others consider. I mean, some people consider the FRS/BRZ to be pretty high performance, while I also know people who think a GTR that still has the stock turbos is slow. On top of that, is the car stock or not? Are we allowed to modify it or is it stock high performance?

I guess I have a couple different answers. I would lean general towards the sport sedan/coupe segment because I tend to like more of them than other cars. To be realistic with daily drivability and real performance, I would have to say a 911 Turbo, Gallardo, or GTR. Budget wise (say I don't make more than $100k a year in this game) I would have to lean towards the mid level sprots sedan/coupes like the S4 or 335i or something in that range.

2006 Redline Red Nissan 350Z
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 PM
\/ Awesome \/

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesMan View Post
So I don't need a backseat and since my wife has a car
I'm still getting used to you saying that...

To be honest, I wasn't even thinking about this from the perspective of cost to maintain and what not. Thinking about it from the standpoint of "What high performance car could you live with every day?" I'd say the GTR wins hands down.

When taking costs into consideration there's many more that would likely give you a better bang for buck ratio. The new Shelby GT500 being one of them...

....Yep, I went there. And I'm not coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPoop View Post
This is the future of engine technology. There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called efficiency.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post
I'm going to go with anything in the CTS-V/M3/IS-F/C63 segment. Trunk space, acceptably comfortable suspension, rear seats and sedans optional. That being said.... a good daily driver all comes back to who's driving it and how much of a sacrifice they are willing to make for performance.
Ditto, but i would add the GTR and the RS5 in that list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page