post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Volkswagen Phaeton U.S. Relaunch Under Consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorAuthority
Rumors of the Volkswagen Phaeton's return to the U.S. have been brewing, off and on, for almost two years. Now, the return looks more likely than ever, with VW's American CEO Stefan Jacoby saying it's time for a comeback for the big sedan.

When Volkswagen's flagship Phaeton was last sold in the U.S., it was almost universally overlooked, selling just 3,354 total cars in its brief 2003-2006 stint in the American market. Nevertheless, Jacoby today told Automotive News that "it was a mistake to take this car out of the market."

Jacoby thinks the VW brand is the right place for the Phaeton, and that focusing on a diesel Phaeton as a high-tech, efficiency-driven flagship may work best.

VW has previously admitted that the Phaeton was generally unsuccessful due to a number of shortcomings, including problems with initial quality and blasť styling. It is convinced it has learned the lessons from that failure and is ready to try again, however.

The problems with the Phaeton were largely addressed in the newly facelifted 2009 global model, which saw the inclusion of a direct-injection gasoline V-6 engine rated at 276 horsepower, offering enough power without the overkill of the $100,000 W-12 flagship or even the full-luxury pricing of the $70,000 entry-level models.

Instead, the next Phaeton, tipped as a 2011 model-year car, is likely to start closer to $55,000 and will be positioned largely below the Audi A8, its corporate cousin.
Volkswagen Phaeton U.S. Relaunch Under Consideration - MotorAuthority

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 05:36 PM
\/ Awesome \/

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Damn that would be cool....that car deserves a second chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPoop View Post
This is the future of engine technology. There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called efficiency.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Aficionado

I saw a W8 model driving around where I live once. At first I thought it was a Jetta with a v6 badge until I got close enough to take a look at it.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 PM
\/ Awesome \/

I thought all Phaetons were V12's no? The Jetta, however, I know comes in a W8.

Quote:
This is the future of engine technology. There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called efficiency.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Aficionado

It was a Passat W8, my bad. All these W motors and car names with a P are confusing me.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I thought all Phaetons were V12's no? The Jetta, however, I know comes in a W8.
Negative, W8, V10 TDi (not US), W12

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Immortal

It would do better if they released it not as the Volkswagen Phaeton... but as the Audi A7... lol

I really wanna be a racecar driver... :-/

2001 IS300 MSM | EIBACH | BORLA | FIGS | VALEO | PIONEER | JOE Z | EAGLE F1 GS-D3 | LSD | STOPTECH | BILSTEIN | AFE POWER | POWERSLOT | 5000K | OZ ULTRALEGGERA | HARD RACE
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Guru

the V10 TDi would be great for the next Phaeton.

Quote:
"He is not gay, he's married"

"Oh please! Its right up there with 'He's not gay, he is in a fraternity'"
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:38 PM
\/ Awesome \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
Negative, W8, V10 TDi (not US), W12
You are indeed correct. I retract my previous statement.

Have any of you seen the top gear on the Phaeton? Really shows you what kind of car it is.

Quote:
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Fig
THE MAKER

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Its such an OTT car for the price and still keeping the VW badge. The problem is value, not the merit of the car. An amazing car that I would love to lease for 2 years
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
You are indeed correct. I retract my previous statement.

Have any of you seen the top gear on the Phaeton? Really shows you what kind of car it is.
I worked for VW for quite some time. Had an excellent customer FROM Germany named Ralf who owned one. He and his friends are obsessed with them. His friend in Germany has the TDi Modded with about 600hp and 900ft/lbs of torque. He said he was soooo mad that they never brought the TDi here because he would have bought one. He had the W8 because the W12 was way overpriced for the nominal performance gain you got.

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Anti-Matter

The good thing about Phaetons is that shortly after the went out of production you could pick up a W12 monster for cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
A sexy White chick can crash my Bimmer (I have insurance on the car anyway) for all I care. <-- Seriously.

Just cum over to my place and realize why I can catch three donuts without my hands. lol
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Addict

They should also consider a Re-Failure of this vehicle. They already sell the A8 in the US (which the Phaeton is quite similar to), and it's so much better than the Phaeton in every possible way. The Phaeton, under the VW brand, would be like Lexus selling the LS under the Toyota brand - it just wouldn't have the panage that a car north of $40K should.

The Phaeton was too bloated, heavy (I remember nearly 3 tons), and thirsty (with the W12 as the only US option) to make sense. Especially when you can buy its better sibling, the A8 (which, mind you, doesn't sell quite as well as the S class or 7 series in the US). Granted the A8 and Phaeton may not share a lot (I'm not sure of this, just guessing), many people perceive Audi and VW to be from the same family (and they are), so marketing a lesser brand in the same price range as the other just doesn't make a lot of sense.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanazhar View Post
They should also consider a Re-Failure of this vehicle. They already sell the A8 in the US (which the Phaeton is quite similar to), and it's so much better than the Phaeton in every possible way. The Phaeton, under the VW brand, would be like Lexus selling the LS under the Toyota brand - it just wouldn't have the panage that a car north of $40K should.

The Phaeton was too bloated, heavy (I remember nearly 3 tons), and thirsty (with the W12 as the only US option) to make sense. Especially when you can buy its better sibling, the A8 (which, mind you, doesn't sell quite as well as the S class or 7 series in the US). Granted the A8 and Phaeton may not share a lot (I'm not sure of this, just guessing), many people perceive Audi and VW to be from the same family (and they are), so marketing a lesser brand in the same price range as the other just doesn't make a lot of sense.

That's the logic that I was using. Isn't it going to hurt A8 sales? I mean, you're going to get almost everything the A8 has except the badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Fiend

Talk about depreciation, what do those go for now days? I bet it would fail again, but I actually thought they were pretty cool and occasionally see one around. Imagine what they cost to maintain, I best parts are insane???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page