Toyota/Subaru "ToyoBaru/FT86" Car Thread(Updated 11/9/12) - Page 8 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Deity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

To go with the above pic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tune

While the regular Subaru 086A is expected to be exactly the same as the Toyota version albeit with subtle exterior/interior styling differences, it’s the high performance STi version that’s getting the most attention now that the FT-86 Concept has broken cover ahead of this month’s Tokyo Motor Show. The standard 086A of course utilizes Subaru’s EJ20 flat-four boxer engine with D4-S direct injection, an Aisin 6-speed gearbox and a rear differential as used on the Lexus IS250/350. The rumored output of 200PS has been quoted once again as to be “almost certain” but a conflicting rumor from another source sets the output as being as low as 160PS. Nevertheless, the STi Version should answer people’s prayers for more power.

Holiday Auto (HA) reports that the STi Version will use the EJ25 2.5L engine that’s expected to produce between 240 – 250PS which is enough, HA say, to turn the 086A into a true performance car. An EJ25 turbo also hasn’t been ruled out, it seems that the Toyota/Subaru partnership have gone to great lengths to listen to what customers want and if the voices are loud enough, may come through with a boosted 086A STi. In keeping with the Impreza WRX STi, the 086A STi Version will apparently get wider front and rear guards to accommodate a wider track with wider wheels and tires. The know-how gathered from tuning the suspension for the WRX STi will be used to improve the 086A’s handling characteristics, although HA stop short of saying the parts will be directly carried over. We should also expect some additional STi only aero parts such as a unique front bumper and rear trunk spoiler to give the STi Version a more motorsports inspired look.

Although it’s not confirmed yet, there’s a strong possibility the Subaru 086A STi Version will be shown at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show or not long after at the 2012 Tokyo Auto Salon and will hit showrooms shortly thereafter.
Subaru 086A STi : Your online JDM magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Immortal

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhi4 View Post
I wouldn't even pay much attention to that black cobbled-up mule's looks. It appears to have a latest-gen Subaru Impreza nose and taillights from the latest-gen Subaru Legacy with Lord-knows-what middle. I think this is a much more accurate predictor of what the Subaru version might look like:

Sadly... the way Subaru is styling their cars these days... I wouldn't be surprised if the black test mule is much closer to the actual Subaru version of the FT86 than the blue pic you posted...

I really wanna be a racecar driver... :-/

2001 IS300 MSM | EIBACH | BORLA | FIGS | VALEO | PIONEER | JOE Z | EAGLE F1 GS-D3 | LSD | STOPTECH | BILSTEIN | AFE POWER | POWERSLOT | 5000K | OZ ULTRALEGGERA | HARD RACE
post #108 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhi4 View Post
No! That would be 2.5-liter naturally aspirated flat/boxer 4 churning out roughly 250 hp. Torque will most probably be lower than that.
If they could squeeze out ~250 hp from a NA engine, that's great. But I'm guessing it will be a peaky engine, sorta like Honda's high HP 4 bangers. The boxer config is great, and may even offer the option of a Turbo setup. Twin turbos should mitigate the usual turbo lag, and with the turbos (and weighing less than 3,000 lbs) this thing would have plenty of torque for a sporting personality. I hope they release it soon, and don't keep testing it forever like the friggin LF-A.
post #109 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadhabit View Post
this whole design is going from good to bad to worse. that looks like ass.

that black car doesnt look like the other prototype. the hood line and windsheild is different. different in a bad way.

Dude, this is an engineering test mule, not an exterior design mule...the exterior/interior styling will look closer to the FT-86 concept (the exterior of which seems pretty production ready).
post #110 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Übercargeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanazhar View Post
If they could squeeze out ~250 hp from a NA engine, that's great. But I'm guessing it will be a peaky engine, sorta like Honda's high HP 4 bangers.
That's my guess as well. Not only Honda's high-performance fours, but other naturally-aspirated 100 hp-per-liter engines (such as the Toyota Celica GTS/Lotus Elise 1.8-liter 4) tend to be low torque/not much bottom end. I'd be pleasantly surprised if the 2.5-liter version put out more than 225 lb/ft of torque.

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
post #111 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanazhar View Post
Dude, this is an engineering test mule, not an exterior design mule...the exterior/interior styling will look closer to the FT-86 concept (the exterior of which seems pretty production ready).
I'm sure the final car from Toyota will look like the FT-86... but I have no confidence in Subaru styling. That test mule probably looks as good as the real Subaru will look...

2001 IS300 MSM | EIBACH | BORLA | FIGS | VALEO | PIONEER | JOE Z | EAGLE F1 GS-D3 | LSD | STOPTECH | BILSTEIN | AFE POWER | POWERSLOT | 5000K | OZ ULTRALEGGERA | HARD RACE
post #112 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Immortal

Just incase my point wasn't clear... I'm saying I'm sure Subaru will find away to make their version of the Toyota FT-86 look butt-ugly.

post #113 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crester View Post
Just incase my point wasn't clear... I'm saying I'm sure Subaru will find away to make their version of the Toyota FT-86 look butt-ugly.
Don't you think it's better for it to be ugly then have a cheap rattling interior?

Quote:
Quote:
post #114 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 06:28 AM
Altruist

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

"an Aisin 6-speed gearbox and a rear differential as used on the Lexus IS250/350. "

Toyota....the trans in my IS250 is a clunky, poor shift feeling box you stole from a truck. Please...and I'm begging here... don't screw up this car with this gearbox. Further, the IS 250/350 rear end doesn't have limited slip. TRAC simulated limited slip (actually open diff) work like poo for any type of drift. Put a real limited slip in!!!

The irrational part of me loves to think that my favorite vices (mnt dew, red meat and beer) have helped me build a super brain.
post #115 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Übercargeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lextech1 View Post
"an Aisin 6-speed gearbox...

Toyota....the trans in my IS250 is a clunky, poor shift feeling box you stole from a truck. Please...and I'm begging here... don't screw up this car with this gearbox.
Agreed, but as Wales Garage (a long-inactive my.IS member who once owned an IS 300 Sportcross and also happens to be an autocrossing buddy of mine) noted, the Honda S2000 and Mazda RX-8 also use an Aisin manual transmission, and it's his gut feeling that it'll be one of those, and not the crappy IS 250/Tacoma manual that'll be used for the production Toyobaru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lextech1 View Post
"...and a rear differential as used on the Lexus IS250/350...

Further, the IS 250/350 rear end doesn't have limited slip. TRAC simulated limited slip (actually open diff) work like poo for any type of drift. Put a real limited slip in!!!
Amen to that! At first blush, I thought it was cool that the Toyobaru would have some Lexus IS in it, but swiftly realized the same thing you did. Here's hoping Subaru (and common sense) prevail and it gets an honest-to-God LSD. Perhaps the fact that the IS F got one for 2010 is a ray of hope.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
post #116 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBlog
In a video that should be titled "Things You Can't Do in a Corolla," the FT-86 has been caught in motion and sound at the Nürburgring in Germany. Of course, the pictures posted last week gave no indication of how it ran, but we can tell you – and so can the video – that it is, as they say in the business, "Hot."

We know what the Toyota concept looks like, but we're not exactly sure which version we see on the 'Ring in the video. It could be the FT-86 from Toyota or Subaru's version. However, if Toyota's version goes like the car in the video, when it finally does arrive, Toyota will truly be able to say it is back in the business of fun. At least a little.
VIDEO: Toyota FT-86 runs the 'Ring, sounds awesome — Autoblog

Quote:
Quote:
post #117 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

car looks.....and sounds....like awesome. that is most definately made of subi parts. wheels headlights and tails all came off of a subi.

1st Gen Elitist
01 Satin White IS300 Sedan w/ Sportcross conversion.
Broken, Beaten, Ugly, Riced out, and loved. Some people will never understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
Hes poor and from AL or MS or some other tragic Katrina victim state. what do you expect.
RIVALHOUSEGARAGEDOTCOM
post #118 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Frequenter

Garage
Is that an IS running in front of it at around 33 seconds on the vid?

2001 ASP IS300 E-Shift
L-Tuned sways - FIGS Hood Prop Kit - AAC Interior LEDs
post #119 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Übercargeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avernier View Post
car looks.....and sounds....like awesome. that is most definately made of subi parts. wheels headlights and tails all came off of a subi.
The front fenders are also off of the latest Impreza STI.

post #120 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Übercargeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by airswoosh1 View Post
Is that an IS running in front of it at around 33 seconds on the vid?
An IS F, to be more exact.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page