Toyota/Subaru "ToyoBaru/FT86" Car Thread(Updated 11/9/12) - Page 7 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just make it Toyota...if it looks like this concept, has a powerful (and tunable motor - perhaps a turbo option) it'll do wonders for your image, and will be a profitable product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Patriot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looks fantastic!
I hope they release it soon b/c it'll do wonders. That hood is probably my favorite feature of the car. I'm also starting to love the unique headlights.
I wonder what the aftermarket performance market will look like when (or if) it is released...
post #93 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorAuthority
Toyota and Subaru confirmed as far back as April of last year that the two companies would collaborate on the development of a new affordable sports car and earlier this month we saw the first tangible evidence of the partnership with the unveiling of the 2009 Toyota FT-86 Concept.

We now have images of actual prototypes caught while testing at Germany’s Nurburgring. These are still test-mules so the final shape and design will look very different to this but we can still gather a few discernable details.

The new car will be sold by both Toyota and Subaru, although several reports claim the Toyota version will be exclusive to the Japanese market while the Subaru model will be a global version. However, while Toyota’s version is scheduled to go on sale in Japan late next year or in early 2011, the Subaru version is yet to receive the production green light.

As for the actual development, Toyota is reportedly responsible for the styling of the car while Subaru is handling most of the engineering. This means the new model will be Subaru at heart, with a four-cylinder boxer engine in both naturally aspirated and turbocharged forms planned.

Base models will be strictly rear-wheel drive and have a power output of around 220-horsepower. Though no official details have been released, it’s expected that an all-wheel drive flagship with 300-horsepower from a turbocharged flat-four will be available as well. A six-speed manual transmission will be standard, although an automatic is also expected to be available.

The projected pricing for both cars will start around $25,000.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...t-sports-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
post #94 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Altruist

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Turbo option planned? Oh....WIN!

The irrational part of me loves to think that my favorite vices (mnt dew, red meat and beer) have helped me build a super brain.
post #95 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Übercargeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lextech1 View Post
Turbo option planned? Oh....WIN!
I'd love that, too, of course, but it's far from certain. One new rumor states that the upgrade will be enlarging the 2-liter 200 hp direct-injected naturally aspirated boxer engine to 2.5-liters and 250 hp.

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
post #96 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Addict

2.5L I4 with twin turbos churning out ~250 hp and around the same torque would be just perfect. Fingers crossed!
post #97 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Übercargeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanazhar View Post
2.5L I4 with twin turbos churning out ~250 hp and around the same torque would be just perfect. Fingers crossed!
No! That would be 2.5-liter naturally aspirated flat/boxer 4 churning out roughly 250 hp. Torque will most probably be lower than that.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
post #98 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Altruist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhi4 View Post
I'd love that, too, of course, but it's far from certain. One new rumor states that the upgrade will be enlarging the 2-liter 200 hp direct-injected naturally aspirated boxer engine to 2.5-liters and 250 hp.
If the estimated weight of under 3k lbs is true, I'd be happy with 250hp NA. I don't really need more than that to have tons of fun. Awd and 300hp sounds like a massive price increase and a curb weight jump.... that isn't what I'm looking for.
I was hopeing for the current WRX's engine, with the rear tires remaining the driven axle. The genesis coupe had most what I want, but failed when it turned out to be way overweight. As long as Toyota/Subie don't allow the same mistake, this thing should jump off dealer lots.

The irrational part of me loves to think that my favorite vices (mnt dew, red meat and beer) have helped me build a super brain.
post #99 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Immortal

Why would Toyota sell their version only in Japan???

Seeing Subaru's recent trend... their version will probalby look like crap...

I really wanna be a racecar driver... :-/

2001 IS300 MSM | EIBACH | BORLA | FIGS | VALEO | PIONEER | JOE Z | EAGLE F1 GS-D3 | LSD | STOPTECH | BILSTEIN | AFE POWER | POWERSLOT | 5000K | OZ ULTRALEGGERA | HARD RACE
post #100 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Lurker

flat 6 swaps. let it begin.
post #101 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Guru

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

this whole design is going from good to bad to worse. that looks like ass.

that black car doesnt look like the other prototype. the hood line and windsheild is different. different in a bad way.

post #102 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Altruist

That black prototype looks to have fog lights and maybe headlights that are similar to a Impreza, and overall looks more subi than like the red Toyota concept shown. Perhapse this one is the Subi version?

post #103 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

That thing looks like someone did a bad job of welding two cars together and it bent in half....

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #104 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
That thing looks like someone did a bad job of welding two cars together and it bent in half....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
post #105 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Übercargeek

I wouldn't even pay much attention to that black cobbled-up mule's looks. It appears to have a latest-gen Subaru Impreza nose and taillights from the latest-gen Subaru Legacy with Lord-knows-what middle. I think this is a much more accurate predictor of what the Subaru version might look like:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page