Toyota/Subaru "ToyoBaru/FT86" Car Thread(Updated 11/9/12) - Page 6 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

damn cant wait till it becomes a reality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Aficionado

i'll buy it ONLY if it have at least the WRX engine...... STI engine would be awesome but yeah as i know Toyota those days it will come out with the Corolla 2.4L engine

2002 CWP 5 speeds
Karl-Sport short shifter inventor
post #78 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Guru

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

love the car. the design is beutiful. love the idea of bringing back the 86, i think this is what the industry has been missing all this time but i dont like the idea of a boxer engine

wouldve been great if toyota could put out a nice engine of their own. Honda has their amazing K motors, Nissan has their VQs and Toyota has a Subaru motor? WTF? pretty disappointing to me. IMO would be nice even if it had an old yamaha beams motors
post #79 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Follower

X2 on the old yamaha beams motor. It is a great looking car but I don't like the idea of the subi engine.
post #80 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Deity

The beams motor is old. All that tech is in the new V6 now. They should just drop the 3.5 liter into it and call it a day.

They could also go with the 3.0 liter and get 250ish which would be better than the 200HP they are talking about.

Sucks they decided to go with Subaru motors instead of Toyota motors.

Yup
post #81 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Übercargeek

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhi4 View Post
I'm pretty certain that a Subaru transmission will accompany the Subaru engine.
Or, maybe not.

An Auto Express article claims it will use "a specially built six-speed manual gearbox developed by Japanese transmission expert Aishin – the firm behind the advanced automated manual set-up in Toyota luxury brand Lexus’s LF-A supercar."

They're also claiming a 0-60mph of less than seven seconds and a top speed of 140mph.

Toyota Celica Returns! | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
post #82 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Altruist

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

All you guys calling for a inline or V style engine, do you really think they could have had that great low hood line with that tall of a engine stuffed in there? The boxer engine allows this car looks the way it does. I too wish it was turbo, and am still hopeful that is a option at some point. We will just have to wait and see.

The irrational part of me loves to think that my favorite vices (mnt dew, red meat and beer) have helped me build a super brain.
post #83 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Übercargeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lextech1 View Post
All you guys calling for a inline or V style engine, do you really think they could have had that great low hood line with that tall of a engine stuffed in there. The boxer engine allows this car looks the way it does.?
Thank you! I'd been meaning to post this myself.

Also, the lower center of gravity courtesy of the boxer engine improves not only the aesthetics but the handling.

Quote:
I too wish it was turbo, and am still hopeful that is a option at some point. We will just have to wait and see.
No discussion there, of course, but it begs a question related to the above.

I always wondered why Subaru never took advantage of the super-low hoodlines allowed by the flat/boxer engines. The answer, according to their head P.R. guy here in the U.S., is that the rally team preferred a higher hoodline to allow for a top-mounted intercooler, thus keeping it out of harm's way versus a front-mounted intercooler. What will happen when/if the Toyobaru coupe gets a turbo? Will they raise the hood and fender line to keep a TMIC per Subaru tradition? Or will they go for aesthetics and give it Subaru's first-ever FMIC?

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
post #84 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Altruist

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

There was another thing I was thinking about with that low hood. Will that look make it to production? With the new pedestrian safty laws in europe, is it possible to make that hood level work?

As for the intercooler on my would be turbo version, I dont really see why it couldn't be a small front mount. Of course this adds significant cost, and complexity, not to mention weight.
Good question as to why subaru never fully took advantage of a super sleek low hoodline in any of its road cars (not the WRX)....Well I suppose, way back the Legacy had the spare tire mounted on top of the engine, not a great idea there though.

The irrational part of me loves to think that my favorite vices (mnt dew, red meat and beer) have helped me build a super brain.

Last edited by Lextech1; 10-08-2009 at 01:14 PM.
post #85 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Guru

Quote:
All you guys calling for a inline or V style engine, do you really think they could have had that great low hood line with that tall of a engine stuffed in there? The boxer engine allows this car looks the way it does. I too wish it was turbo, and am still hopeful that is a option at some point. We will just have to wait and see.
im thinking you could with an inline 4. not 6
post #86 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Übercargeek

Quote:
There was another thing I was thinking about with that low hood. Will that look make it to production? With the new pedestrian safty laws in europe, is it possible to make that hood level work?
I thought about that, too. If I remember correctly, though, the Euro pedestrian rules simply say that there has to be "x" distance of "empty air" (something like 2.3" or 3.2", I'm not really sure) between the top of the engine and the inside/bottom of the hood.

Perhaps if Toyota and Subaru (and Yamaha, perhaps?) optimized the engine and its ancilliaries to get it as flat and low as possible, they might be able to do such a low hoodline. Or maybe the concept is idealized and the production version will have a somewhat higher hoodline.

post #87 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Guru

post #88 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Fiend

This is a car release I'm actually thrilled about. Hopefully the Ft-86 can actually live up to be a predecessor to the AE86. Unlike the Altezza . Its hard to fill those shoes.

SuperTerrificHappyCarBlog!
post #89 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Addict

I'm hoping Toyota will fill all the gaps in between the AE86 and the LF-A supercar. Though I'm a big fan of the AE86 and I very much like this new rendition, I'm more excited about the Supra (it it ever returns). I loved the FT-HS concept a few years ago...was hoping it would make it to production (what a waste of effort if it doesn't)...now that Mr. Toyoda's at the helm and acknowledging the automaker's flaws/deficiencies, hopefully things will change for the better. The sooner the better.
post #90 of 2057 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Walk around of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
did he just suicide bomb our f^*@*#^ parking lot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Don't even ask. This kid defies logic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page